Eagles v West Rd 17 2006

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Eagles v West Rd 17 2006

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 am

From the Advertiser:

Welsh and Walsh spell danger

DOUG ROBERTSON

AS SILLY at it might seem, West Adelaide is becoming more dangerous each week because it has nothing to lose.
With just one win and anchored to the wooden spoon, West faces high-flying Woodville-West Torrens tomorrow at Woodville Oval, which should be a routine win for the Eagles. But football is just as much about attitude as talent and the second-placed (to North Adelaide) Eagles cannot dare take the Bloods cheaply.

The Eagles are a superior outfit and rank first among the clubs in defensive ability and on attacking accuracy.

West is eighth and ninth respectively.

The Eagles have won their past eight games - West has won once in almost four months - and go into this match as white-hot favourites. But coach Ron Fuller has been around long enough to never take a team lightly - especially one boasting six quality players with AFL experience and headed by classy goal ace Scott Welsh (Crows) and power defender Peter Walsh (Port Adelaide). It would have been seven had Jason Porplyzia not been taken by Adelaide.

Ruckman Matt Cragg-Sapsford, Kristian Vanderloo, Daniel Caire, Chris Schmidt, Andrew Purshase, Aaron Bayliss and Walsh come into to a squad of 23. In-form Ross Glover (hamstring), Lance Oswald and Kyle Archibald made way.

Coach Wayne Weidemann says "nobody rates us, really," but he is also confident the Bloods' style of play is right and it is dangerous when executed for 100 minutes.

His problem is getting a four-quarter effort from the majority. Weidemann said last week's performance against Glenelg was "encouraging" . . . but only for three quarters.

"I don't have any problems with any player and their attitude," he said. "We've just got to keep at it."

Fuller is wary and has made one change, returning Leigh Treeby to a wing after a back strain last week.

"I don't know if we are superior," Fuller said. "The ladder says that but we've won (games) only because we've played consistent, hard footy and we've got to do it again to win. (West) has plenty of good players and they're dangerous when they're switched on. They beat the Magpies last month."
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:55 pm

WOODVILLE-WEST TORRENS vs. WEST ADELAIDE

F Fairclough Passador Westbrook
B Hutchins Grieger Piasente
HF Inkster Grocke Rugolo
HB Proud Jaques Donaldson
C Treeby Cicolella Jarrad
C Slattery Dragicevic Haynes
HB Symmons McKenzie Powell
HF Caire Jericho Bricknell
B P.Fiacchi Pedler Shattock
F O'Sullivan Welsh Buckley
1R Lindsay Colville Cooper
1R Illman Walsh Hollands

W-WT int: Jacobs, Potter, Earl, Salter.
West int :Cragg-Sapsford, Vanderloo, Purchase, Bayliss, Schmidt. Out: Glover, Porplyzia, Oswald, Archibald.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby am Bays » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:47 am

FAir dinkum, if the Eagles don't win this by over 100 pts, they are pretenders.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby Dissident » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:09 am

You'd hope So Tassie.... but with Walsh and Welsh - I think it will make a difference.
Welsh hasn't played many SANFL games since joining the AFL, but of two I can remember he kicked 9 goals (in the ressies) and had 50 possies in the other.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:50 am

Eagles by at least 100 .I wouldent think fairclough would get a game he cant kick and hogs the ball , he was shocking last week even some of the players were talking about it :shock:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:50 am

holden78 wrote:Eagles by at least 100 .I wouldent think fairclough would get a game he cant kick and hogs the ball , he was shocking last week even some of the players were talking about it :shock:

holden78 - stop trying to substantiate your posts by saying the players say so. It seems you would be a lot more satisfied supporting a team that loses all the time, so why don't you.

Fairclough was excellent last week in his 3rd game for the club at 17 years of age. He has a very promising future and thoroughly deserves every minute he gets with the league team. He is in the team because he is currently in the best 21 players available.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:43 am

LOL you can only say what you are told i only follow the best WEST TORRENS
holden78
League - Best 21

Postby PB » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:17 pm

Are Vince, Knight & Skipworth likely to return to the eagles this weekend? Any other possible inclusions?
PB
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:03 pm

PB wrote:Are Vince, Knight & Skipworth likely to return to the eagles this weekend? Any other possible inclusions?

I think Vince and Knights are still 1 week away. Skipworth and Bock should be available for selection if not picked by the Crows. Hall, R Fiacchi, Wigley and Dabrowski must be close, but doubt any of them would play league this week. Should have most of the squad fit and ready for the North game in a fortnight. Frewen would also have to be considered for selection after a few games of reserves.
Aerie
Coach

Postby PB » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:47 pm

What about young reserves players, Vandeleur, Hier, Fitzgerald, Redden? Tough team to break into at the moment.
PB
Mini-League

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:03 pm

PB wrote:What about young reserves players, Vandeleur, Hier, Fitzgerald, Redden? Tough team to break into at the moment.

Agree. Pretty unlikely any of these will break into the team this year given the number of experienced players to come back and the good form of the younger players already in the team in Jacobs, Fairclough and Salter. Maybe Vandeleur if a forward gets injured. He seems a similar type player to Westbrook.

I really like the look of a few of the young reserve players in Fitzgerald, Petrenko and Hicks. All classy players and Fitzgerald and Petrenko in particular are very quick. AFL teams may draft them before we see too much of them in the league side.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:20 pm

Aerie wrote:
PB wrote:What about young reserves players, Vandeleur, Hier, Fitzgerald, Redden? Tough team to break into at the moment.

Agree. Pretty unlikely any of these will break into the team this year given the number of experienced players to come back and the good form of the younger players already in the team in Jacobs, Fairclough and Salter. Maybe Vandeleur if a forward gets injured. He seems a similar type player to Westbrook.

I really like the look of a few of the young reserve players in Fitzgerald, Petrenko and Hicks. All classy players and Fitzgerald and Petrenko in particular are very quick. AFL teams may draft them before we see too much of them in the league side.

Vandeleur,Redden have played at least one league game so far this year and Fitzgerald played in at least one league trial this year as well!!
I was interested to see treeby came straight back into the side after 1 game out and i think he was injured again during the game .
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 pm

Mickyj wrote:Vandeleur,Redden have played at least one league game so far this year and Fitzgerald played in at least one league trial this year as well!!
I was interested to see treeby came straight back into the side after 1 game out and i think he was injured again during the game .

Yeah, sorry, meant to say I doubt they'd break into the side for the rest of the year. Treeby didn't look too good. I hope they don't risk playing him if he isn't fit. He's a very important player for us and would rather see him take a couple of weeks off and be ready for the final part of the season.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:29 pm

Aerie wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Vandeleur,Redden have played at least one league game so far this year and Fitzgerald played in at least one league trial this year as well!!

Yeah, sorry, meant to say I doubt they'd break into the side for the rest of the year. Treeby didn't look too good. I hope they don't risk playing him if he isn't fit. He's a very important player for us and would rather see him take a couple of weeks off and be ready for the final part of the season.

I would agree with you there and add that Powell looked buggered late in the game .
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Blacky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:23 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:FAir dinkum, if the Eagles don't win this by over 100 pts, they are pretenders.....

PRETENDERS
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby GWW » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29 pm

holden78 wrote:LOL you can only say what you are told i only follow the best WEST TORRENS

Best at what? Being mediocre?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby the tractor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:46 pm

GWW wrote:
holden78 wrote:LOL you can only say what you are told i only follow the best WEST TORRENS

Best at what? Being mediocre?

Only follow the West Torrens part of the club?
Wolf Pack. OOOOOOOWWWWWW.
the tractor
Under 16s

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:00 pm

I thought it was the Woodville part of the club that held up its end of the bargain on Saturday - the West Torrens part was its usual pathetic self...... :lol: :wink:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby holden78 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:27 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:I thought it was the Woodville part of the club that held up its end of the bargain on Saturday - the West Torrens part was its usual pathetic self...... :lol: :wink:
lol dick head go back to the gays they are still piss weak
holden78
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:05 pm

Hmm a candidate for post of the year???? :roll:

Lucky for you Woodville is propping your mob up.....
am Bays
Coach

Board index   Football  SANFL