National 2nd Tier Competiton Discussion

All discussions to do with the SANFL

National 2nd Tier Competiton Discussion

Postby Sojourner » Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 am

How good would it be to see a week or two after the SANFL Grand final the SANFL Premier get a go against the WAFL Premiers?

Considering the noises made about there not being enough CDFC players in the state team, I do wonder how Last years CDFC Premiership team would have gone against last years Premiership side from Subiaco?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: WAFL Premiers vs the SANFL Premiers

Postby JK » Tue May 26, 2009 11:34 am

I reckon it would be good, but I don't think it would be fair to expect the 2 competing clubs to foot the bill and from what I hear the SANFL sacrificed a few things in order to keep the cost down for last weekend's game.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby nickname » Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 am

I was wondering whether it could be an alternative to a State game. Each of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL have weeks when teams have a bye, so a state premiers play-off could happen during the season if it was taken into account when programming the seasons. I'm unsure if the clubs would rather have the bye or have a match though.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 am

there is no way you could play it two weeks after the GF.

Players have just played 20-25 games, spent two weeks ( or the best part of ) celebrating the win and would no doubt be looking forward to a well earned rest.

The idea has merit, just the timing put forward in this suggestion would not work IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:02 pm

have a midseason break and play the premiers in a comp - vfl/sanfl/wafl - should we invite tassie along to keep a nice even number
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Magpiespower » Tue May 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Pre-season charity shield type event...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby sjt » Tue May 26, 2009 12:45 pm

No thanks. Would be pretty pointless and chance of players getting injured isn't worth it.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Sojourner » Tue May 26, 2009 1:36 pm

sjt wrote:No thanks. Would be pretty pointless and chance of players getting injured isn't worth it.

The "Point" is all about the colours of the club, if I have to explain it further, you wouldent understand...
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:I reckon it would be good, but I don't think it would be fair to expect the 2 competing clubs to foot the bill and from what I hear the SANFL sacrificed a few things in order to keep the cost down for last weekend's game.

Correct CP...

This included things like players having 1 cab charge to share between 4 for when out on free time and also not taking over a travelling emergency as the 23rd man in case something went wrong the night before or the morning of the game.

Aslo, SA did not have a team Doctor travel with them, they just relied on using the WA team doctor who we needed to use to examine Craig Parry when he had to be taken to hosptial with that dislocated shoulder.
Last edited by Big Phil on Tue May 26, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby HeartBeatsTrue » Tue May 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Sojo, i think you are getting a little obsessed with this interstate thing. Just my opinion.
Its a little bit 'pie in the sky'
We lost an interstate game in crap conditions by 1 point. The SANFL is still the best comp outside the AFL and we dont need clubs playing against others in lower leagues to prove it. Would only lower our league.

Bring on Friday night.
HeartBeatsTrue
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby Barto » Tue May 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:I reckon it would be good, but I don't think it would be fair to expect the 2 competing clubs to foot the bill and from what I hear the SANFL sacrificed a few things in order to keep the cost down for last weekend's game.

Correct CP...

This included things like players having 1 cab charge to share between 4 for when out on free time and also not taking over a travelling emergency as the 23rd man in case something went wrong the night before or the morning of the game.

We had a 23rd man. ;)
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Barto wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Correct CP...

We had a 23rd man. ;)

Well it had to be either yourself who Squawk who were there helping out the side Barto... ;)

Myself, Johnny Nanks and PhilH would not come close to fitting into one of the jumpers... :lol:
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Won't happen. Too tough to do it justice. Would be a massive disadvantage during the season, just after the season a stack of guys would be heading for operations or needing rest and preseason no side will want to risk injury so plenty of guys would be rested. Regardless of what happens with timing there is no way it will get off the ground. The state game affects more clubs more evenly so that's why it works better IMHO.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 169 times

Postby sjt » Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Sojourner wrote:
sjt wrote:No thanks. Would be pretty pointless and chance of players getting injured isn't worth it.

The "Point" is all about the colours of the club, if I have to explain it further, you wouldent understand...

You're probably right as I don't understand the inference of your post above. I do understand it would be about club pride and representing the league the side competes in. A bit similar to the old Champions of Australia or the Asian champions league in soccer. However, as I said I don't think it would have too much value in it, nor is it worth risking the players getting injured. We already have a state game representing the league and the state. Also I'm sure there wouldn't be millions of dollars worth of prize money as with the Asian champions league. So no, you don't have to explain it further. It's not that I wouldn't understand, it's that I wouldn't agree with you.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 pm

This is what happens when you keep tipping money into a financial AFL basket case.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dog_ger » Tue May 26, 2009 7:07 pm

No good. No interest.

Wouldn't cover costs.

What happens if a club champ does a knee or worse..? :roll:
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Barto » Tue May 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Barto wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Correct CP...

We had a 23rd man. ;)

Well it had to be either yourself who Squawk who were there helping out the side Barto... ;)

Myself, Johnny Nanks and PhilH would not come close to fitting into one of the jumpers... :lol:

Squawk had his hand up, yes :)
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 26, 2009 7:33 pm

I like the idea of this and would be of more interest to me than the state game. I think MightyEagles suggestion of a pre-season charity shield type event would be the best idea. The weekend before pre-season may be too close to the real season, but maybe the fortnight before the first round. Every team is clicking in to full preparations for the season by this time and it also allows the other 8 clubs to all get in a trial game against league opposition.

A bit like the old Champions of Australia games, the game will never hold as much weight as the season premiership, or even a regular season win. However, because it would be rare to be able to participate in this game, it would be a trophy that would hold some value. It would also provide some much needed coverage to the SANFL at this time of year and I see no reason why this one game couldn't attract some sort of commercial opportunity and perhaps give all SANFL and WAFL clubs a chance to advertise season tickets and memberships to a reasonable audience.

Just make it SANFL premiers vs WAFL premiers as our two competitions are the same format and about the same level - unlike the VFL which has too many AFL players involved.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Correct CP...

Aslo, SA did not have a team Doctor travel with them, they just relied on using the WA team doctor who we needed to use to examine Craig Parry when he had to be taken to hosptial with that dislocated shoulder.

Geez, it seems the SANFL got the result they deserved then. They only travel once every two years! Surely they should at the very least have a team doctor and a spare player travel with them.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby csbowes » Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm definitely in favour of this and as some have already said, I'd prefer this over the state game. The state game runs just as much of a risk of players going down with knees, but no one seems too worried about that. I'd dismiss the VFL, simply because the WAFL has 9 sides and can program their premiership side to have a bye the same week as us and thus the Champions can then play off that week, so you don't need to have it after the GF, which in effect would make the game a bit of an anti-climax. Players are celebrating and the like and wouldn't want to front up for an exhibition match of sorts...

For me though, this is a winner, would love to see a premiership playoff, think the hardest thing would be selling it to the WAFL. I don't think anyone should be worried about how popular it would be, as lets be honest, its not like the State game as it is a huge drawcard or a major moment in the SANFL fixture list.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL