Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Bulldogsculthero25 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:Aldinga to get worse, from what ive heard they have appointed last years coach for another 2 seasons. Mistake!! That club will die which will be a sad day!!

And some bad news for them re playing group...their best player on the move too.

They have had some good players come through since they have come into div 1 however they always treat local talent poorly and treat their recruits like buddy franklin, yet none ever live up to the reputation they give themselves. Recruiting from low divisions and a bad coach doesnt help. So many good players from aldinga playing in good sides in other leagues because they get looked after. AFC needs to have a hard look at itself, so many years of bad decisions. Massive cleanout needed so the club can go in a new direction. Aldinga used to be a SFL power, through the 30s they need to get back there for the betterment of the SFL.

Edited for accuracy

90s!!
Bulldogsculthero25
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Get your facts right mate. Aldinga had a good period in the late 80s and for periods in the 90s but that was in Div 2 so hardly an SFL power. I played in trials against Aldinga and Div 1 SFL teams during the late 80s and Aldinga were still a fair way off the better Div 1 teams. Unless the Aldinga area gets a public high school to keep locals away from Willunga High and the Willunga FC, then it will continue to be a challenge for the Sharks.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby finals fever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 pm

HardenUp wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Heard the Shoes are going down a different track and will be concentrating more on their juniors in 2014. Not sure if all true but heard:

Golding, Comer, Peach retired
Tasker, Sargood to Mallee league
Bowd Hackham
Carter moving interstate

It is the silly season so lets get facts on the table.
Golding has retired and all at the Shoe thank Matt for his service and congratulate him in his new role as forward coach at South Adelaide.
Comer,Tasker and Peachy will continue on at the Shoe.
Sargood signed for 2k per week with $AM in the bush at that league I cant recall the name.
Carter has a teaching role in NSW.
Bowd at Hackham :rolleyes:

With Comer going on, does that mean NFC will have an over 45's side this year?
Good on him for going around again!![/quote]

heard tonight at the emu that they also have a new coach with mitton acting as mick malthouse to all grades?
finals fever

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby marbles » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 pm

cracka wrote:
the wonder elephant wrote:
marbles wrote:just imagine when marion win next years div 7 flag, and all the sfls 13 other teams (excluding its 2014 premier) will be in the exact same position they are right now - with zero hope of winning the flag for another 15 years :) lol

Peanut !! :shock:

I wonder if all his Henley team mates have also conceded the div 7 flag to Marion for next year.

watch all the talent to come out & play for the mighty rams!!!

Down the Hill wrote:Get your facts right mate. Aldinga had a good period in the late 80s and for periods in the 90s but that was in Div 2 so hardly an SFL power. I played in trials against Aldinga and Div 1 SFL teams during the late 80s and Aldinga were still a fair way off the better Div 1 teams. Unless the Aldinga area gets a public high school to keep locals away from Willunga High and the Willunga FC, then it will continue to be a challenge for the Sharks.

wait for a high school to be built or die

OR

Channel Nine Football League Div 7 Premiers!!!!!
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Backliner » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:[quotea="tigerpie"]
Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:Aldinga to get worse, from what ive heard they have appointed last years coach for another 2 seasons. Mistake!! That club will die which will be a sad day!!

And some bad news for them re playing group...their best player on the move too.

They have had some good players come through since they have come into div 1 however they always treat local talent poorly and treat their recruits like buddy franklin, yet none ever live up to the reputation they give themselves. Recruiting from low divisions and a bad coach doesnt help. So many good players from aldinga playing in good sides in other leagues because they get looked after. AFC needs to have a hard look at itself, so many years of bad decisions. Massive cleanout needed so the club can go in a new direction. Aldinga used to be a SFL power, through the 90s they need to get back there for the betterment of the SFL.[/quote]

You mean playing B grade in other leagues?
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:They have had some good players come through since they have come into div 1 however they always treat local talent poorly and treat their recruits like buddy franklin, yet none ever live up to the reputation they give themselves. Recruiting from low divisions and a bad coach doesnt help. So many good players from aldinga playing in good sides in other leagues because they get looked after. AFC needs to have a hard look at itself, so many years of bad decisions. Massive cleanout needed so the club can go in a new direction. Aldinga used to be a SFL power, through the 30s they need to get back there for the betterment of the SFL.

Edited for accuracy

90s!!

1990 - 2nd Div2 - 11th Overall
1991 - Premiers Div2 - 10th Overall
1992 - 2nd Div2 - 12th Overall
1993 - Premiers Div2 - 11th Overall
1994 - 4th Div2 - 15th Overall
1995 - 3rd Div2 - 14th Overall
1996 - 6th Div2 - 17th Overall
1997 - 6th Div2 - 18th Overall
1998 - 6th Div2 - 18th Overall
1999 - 2nd Div2 - 14th Overall
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby marbles » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Bulldogsculthero25 wrote:They have had some good players come through since they have come into div 1 however they always treat local talent poorly and treat their recruits like buddy franklin, yet none ever live up to the reputation they give themselves. Recruiting from low divisions and a bad coach doesnt help. So many good players from aldinga playing in good sides in other leagues because they get looked after. AFC needs to have a hard look at itself, so many years of bad decisions. Massive cleanout needed so the club can go in a new direction. Aldinga used to be a SFL power, through the 30s they need to get back there for the betterment of the SFL.

Edited for accuracy

90s!!

1990 - 2nd Div2 - 11th Overall
1991 - Premiers Div2 - 10th Overall
1992 - 2nd Div2 - 12th Overall
1993 - Premiers Div2 - 11th Overall
1994 - 4th Div2 - 15th Overall
1995 - 3rd Div2 - 14th Overall
1996 - 6th Div2 - 17th Overall
1997 - 6th Div2 - 18th Overall
1998 - 6th Div2 - 18th Overall
1999 - 2nd Div2 - 14th Overall

wow a man as cynical as you would be a massive advantage to no club
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby afc9798 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 am

marbles wrote:They have had some good players come through since they have come into div 1 however they always treat local talent poorly and treat their recruits like buddy franklin, yet none ever live up to the reputation they give themselves. Recruiting from low divisions and a bad coach doesnt help. So many good players from aldinga playing in good sides in other leagues because they get looked after. AFC needs to have a hard look at itself, so many years of bad decisions. Massive cleanout needed so the club can go in a new direction. Aldinga used to be a SFL power, through the 30s they need to get back there for the betterment of the SFL

wow a man as cynical as you would be a massive advantage to no club[/quote]

What you see as cynicism, most see as a fair portrayal of the facts.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby marbles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 pm

people are dying everyday, and you guys deem celebrations and happy times in peoples lives, as false and impure

next season could be your last and if you win the div 2 flag then you conquered every challenge put to you and my friends you deserve a massive week on the piss you also deserve season of memories to cherish for the rest of your life

if the whole of the SFL is as bitter as you two fellas then good times are far far away for anyone

football = recreation

recreation is a happiness that takes our minds away from the fact we're all dying

dont deny the greatness of achieving all that can be achieved, as you are belittling those who are already dead.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby afc9798 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm

marbles wrote:people are dying everyday, and you guys deem celebrations and happy times in peoples lives, as false and impure

next season could be your last and if you win the div 2 flag then you conquered every challenge put to you and my friends you deserve a massive week on the piss you also deserve season of memories to cherish for the rest of your life

if the whole of the SFL is as bitter as you two fellas then good times are far far away for anyone

football = recreation

recreation is a happiness that takes our minds away from the fact we're all dying

dont deny the greatness of achieving all that can be achieved, as you are belittling those who are already dead.

OK. You've either still been on a bender for way too long, or you have lost your namesake.
On one hand you say football is a recreation and on the other you talk about the ":greatness of achieving all that can be achieved". Which is it?
And yes, we are all dying, or you can look at it the opposite way is that I am living longer every day. No bitterness here, just reality.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

I think your greatest achievement has been being able to survive this long Marbles, clearly pushing shit uphill with your intellect.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby marbles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 am

you blokes would win a division 2 grand final and after the game would refuse to sing the song, you'd proceed straight to change rooms, pack up then drive home.

"sorry fella's its not a flag its an 11th, as i refuse to enjoy this achievement, it is deplorable and im going home immediately, do not expect to see me at club tonight, im going home to polish my garden gnomes, will see you all next season"
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby spot on » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I wouldn't mind a kg of whatever your on Marbles
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby afc9798 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:07 pm

spot on wrote:I wouldn't mind a kg of whatever your on Marbles

Really? I'd be avoiding it at all costs. It's very dangerous to be delusional and have false euphoria.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby marbles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:13 pm

I can only prey for the great supporters & volunteers of the mighty marion rams that someone at their club is pushin for a spot in saafls div 7 next year to become a club of hope, excitement and sheer belief where good times and growth are immediately in reach. Rather than staying dormant and useless to constisent routine defeats in aleague that is content to reward only the richest and maintain the weak entities as prisoners set for a long continual decade ahead of grinding deprivation with zero hope full of regular disapointing and sour nights at the football club for all players, families and friends week after week
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm

I actually do agree with what Marbles is saying. Whats the point of playing against teams that are that far above what you can do, its not funny.

I played for Hackham for 3 years in between playing for North Haven, and I got pumped week after week, no matter how much effort I put in. I could hardly walk after the games, and fell asleep as pressos most weekends because I was that exhausted. We had our first win in years against Aldinga while I was there, and it felt like we won the grandy.

Having gone back to the SAAFL, where things are done way better in relation to equalisation of divisions based on performance, I can appreciate how ****** the SFL is in relation to that. What is the point of slogging away, week after week, knowing there's no chance you will win, no matter how hard you play. Poor performances lead to trouble with recruiting kids, and better players from other clubs/leagues to play for you.

At least if teams are playing competitive footy in a lower division, there are both wins and loses and the morales better. People arent playing half the season and then packing it in because there's no point.

The SFL is never going to get better if the attitude is that Div 1 football is all that matters.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 pm

HH3 wrote:I actually do agree with what Marbles is saying. Whats the point of playing against teams that are that far above what you can do, its not funny.

I played for Hackham for 3 years in between playing for North Haven, and I got pumped week after week, no matter how much effort I put in. I could hardly walk after the games, and fell asleep as pressos most weekends because I was that exhausted. We had our first win in years against Aldinga while I was there, and it felt like we won the grandy.

Having gone back to the SAAFL, where things are done way better in relation to equalisation of divisions based on performance, I can appreciate how ****** the SFL is in relation to that. What is the point of slogging away, week after week, knowing there's no chance you will win, no matter how hard you play. Poor performances lead to trouble with recruiting kids, and better players from other clubs/leagues to play for you.

At least if teams are playing competitive footy in a lower division, there are both wins and loses and the morales better. People arent playing half the season and then packing it in because there's no point.

The SFL is never going to get better if the attitude is that Div 1 football is all that matters.

I am starting to put you in the same boat as Marbles, I'd be worried if I were you. No one has said don't celebrate success, you and Marbles seem to be hanging on to that notion, what we are saying is moving a club to an easier competition is not the right way to go about obtaining success. As for your statement about Div 1 being all that matters, the entire Ammos set up is centred around teams gaining promotion to obtain Div 1 success so I'd hardly think that is any different to any SFL clubs aspirations.

I don't know too many other situations in life that when things get too hard you can just choose to do an easier job/course and get the same result so why would this be any different?

Answer me this, Marion go to Div 7 get to the GF and lose but still go up to Div 6 and things get that little bit harder, again. Do you hang around or join another club in Div 7 so you can chase that flag?

Would have no problem with a club moving for financial reasons or even to bolster their chances of retaining juniors. If the main reason to go is to have a small chance of a flag, at most likely the detriment of your junior program, then it is a ridiculous suggestion. Marion is the only weak club at the moment that might benefit from a move to Div 7 the others would just lose juniors to other local clubs.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby HH3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
HH3 wrote:I actually do agree with what Marbles is saying. Whats the point of playing against teams that are that far above what you can do, its not funny.

I am starting to put you in the same boat as Marbles, I'd be worried if I were you. No one has said don't celebrate success, you and Marbles seem to be hanging on to that notion, what we are saying is moving a club to an easier competition is not the right way to go about obtaining success. As for your statement about Div 1 being all that matters, the entire Ammos set up is centred around teams gaining promotion to obtain Div 1 success so I'd hardly think that is any different to any SFL clubs aspirations.

I don't know too many other situations in life that when things get too hard you can just choose to do an easier job/course and get the same result so why would this be any different?

Answer me this, Marion go to Div 7 get to the GF and lose but still go up to Div 6 and things get that little bit harder, again. Do you hang around or join another club in Div 7 so you can chase that flag?

Would have no problem with a club moving for financial reasons or even to bolster their chances of retaining juniors. If the main reason to go is to have a small chance of a flag, at most likely the detriment of your junior program, then it is a ridiculous suggestion. Marion is the only weak club at the moment that might benefit from a move to Div 7 the others would just lose juniors to other local clubs.

I agree, moving JUST to win a flag in a low division is stupid.

Its about playing where you can compete, so you're not wasting everyones time. Moving up the divisions takes time. Years and years. But if you're make a GF in Div 7, theres excitement and pride around the club. That motivates people to strive for more success. Instead in the SFL, things get stale, people stick with the same old way of doing things. The gap gets larger and larger. Then its going to be a struggle to get any low team competitive and keep growing into a decent team. They may have a good year or two, but then things just revert back to the same old ways.

Its really hard to attract players to teams that get belted every week. I know. I was very close with the people at Hackham that were doing that impossible job. But I know of teams in the lower divisions of the SAAFL that attract some good players, as well as develop their own, and make big runs at moving up the divisions.

I reckon if Marion do move to the SAAFL, they will win more games, retain more players, RECRUIT more players, develop juniors and have more success in holding onto those players. Over the first few years they could build a good foundation for a successful club.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby marbles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:07 pm

playing for a footy club isnt free, ya gotta pay up to play ie membership fees & subs

without this revenue, clubs wouldnt exist

now if your a committee that has decided "well we'll take your money to play with us, but you gonna get zero success here cos we aint gonna make sacrifices to provide u with a chance of the ultimate success, we'll just take your money so we can survive and your gonna get lots of disapointment here buddy

isnt that a betrayel to the commitment of the client? isnt that poor customer service?

if your in a pool of juggernauts where your no chance of success for next decade, and down the road theres a whole other pool of battlers who play the game at a level you can compete, then isnt it an obligation on behalf of your clients to go play with the boys who are your own size? else if this whole time your committee ignores this alternative for a decade of disapointment, shouldnt every player be refunded due to failure to provide the best footballing environment possible in the area

otherwise your just like a water bottle company who making u pay for spring water and all the client recieves is crappy tap water
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:19 pm

So what you are saying marbles is.....Port Magpies have been shocking for a few years now and they have no chance of winning an sanfl flag in the near or far future.

Do they head back to the ammos in search of div1 success.

Think not.

You say the powerhouses of the SFL are consistently successful and they are the only teams that can win a flag.
Reynella in the 90's were terrible, both Mvale and Happy Valley have also had some pain too.

Your arguments are crap!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL