What are you reading now?

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: What are you reading now?

Postby HH3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:59 am

Just picked up 1984 as well as all of Orwells writings for .99 on the Kindle store.

1984s one of my all time favourite books. I leant it to my sister-in-law, and shes taken it to Newcastle, so its much easier just to download it so I can read it again.

Also never got around to reading Animal Farm.

Farrenheit 451 is also on the store, but at $9.95 I might wait to see if the price drops. Thats a big investment. ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:50 am

Deadly Hero: The High Society Murder that Created Hysteria in the Heartland by Jason Lucky Morrow

Historical murder case from the 1930's. The murder itself sparked fear in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but the details of the case led to mass hysteria about teenagers killing people for fun on mass.

Very interesting how police work was done with very basic resources. Even though its a true story, it seems like fiction because of the foreignness of the time period to me.

I read the sample from the Kindle store last night, and made the purchase today for $4.09. Amazon is saving me a lot of money and bookshelf space.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:36 pm

"Prick With A Fork" by Larissa Dubecki.

A former waitress recounting her time in the service industry. This lass is an utter misanthrope, has complete disdain for anyone and everything involved in restaurants/cafes/etc. Plus she is an excellent author; this gal really knows how to write. Very much recommended.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm

battle of lone pine. four days in hell
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:48 pm

HH3 wrote:Deadly Hero: The High Society Murder that Created Hysteria in the Heartland by Jason Lucky Morrow

Historical murder case from the 1930's. The murder itself sparked fear in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but the details of the case led to mass hysteria about teenagers killing people for fun on mass.

Very interesting how police work was done with very basic resources. Even though its a true story, it seems like fiction because of the foreignness of the time period to me.

I read the sample from the Kindle store last night, and made the purchase today for $4.09. Amazon is saving me a lot of money and bookshelf space.

If you're into the true crime genre then John Safran's "Murder in Mississippi" is worth a read. Just finished it on an overseas trip.

He investigates the violent murder of a noted white supremacist by a local black lad who is currently serving time through a number of interviews and some documentary research. The deeper he digs, the more questions and secrets he uncovers about the victim, the killer, and how 'justice' is dished up in the south. Safran's conversational writing style also helps the story come to life.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby HH3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Magellan wrote:
HH3 wrote:Deadly Hero: The High Society Murder that Created Hysteria in the Heartland by Jason Lucky Morrow

If you're into the true crime genre then John Safran's "Murder in Mississippi" is worth a read. Just finished it on an overseas trip.

He investigates the violent murder of a noted white supremacist by a local black lad who is currently serving time through a number of interviews and some documentary research. The deeper he digs, the more questions and secrets he uncovers about the victim, the killer, and how 'justice' is dished up in the south. Safran's conversational writing style also helps the story come to life.

Sounds good mate. Ill have a look for it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Playboy
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Just finished Paul Chapman's bio. An enjoyable read.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 am

Magellan wrote:

He either did a doco on this several years ago, or the story was featured in one of his shows. Fascinating story.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby saintal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Just finished Peter Fitzsimons' book on Douglas Mawson and Antarctic exploration. Fantastic.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:52 pm

saintal wrote:Just finished Peter Fitzsimons' book on Douglas Mawson and Antarctic exploration. Fantastic.

While occasionally an insufferable ego, the man really does know how to write a novel and draw people into a story.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
saintal wrote:Just finished Peter Fitzsimons' book on Douglas Mawson and Antarctic exploration. Fantastic.

While occasionally an insufferable ego, the man really does know how to write a novel and draw people into a story.

I am currently reading his newest book about Fromelles and Poziers. Excellent read so far
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Grenville » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

Agreed, not always a huge fan of the person but an excellent writer. I'm a couple of hundred pages into Gallipoli and it's bloody good.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Grenville wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Agreed, not always a huge fan of the person but an excellent writer. I'm a couple of hundred pages into Gallipoli and it's bloody good.

His work on Fromelle and Poziers, was the best book I have ever read!
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Working my way through the Jeremy Clarkson books. I enjoy his sarcasm.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Grenville » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Got two books on the go - You'll Die in Singapore by Charles McCormac (where he escaped from a Japanese POW camp and travelled 2000 miles through Indonesia to freedom) and Gulag by Anne Applebaum (an indepth look at the Russian Gulags and testimony from those that were there). Both an interesting read.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Terry Brooks Shannara series again. The TV shows inspired me.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grenville » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Champions All - A History of AFL/VFL Football In The Players Own Words. About the best footy book I've ever read.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:55 pm

HH3 wrote:Just picked up 1984 as well as all of Orwells writings for .99 on the Kindle store.

1984s one of my all time favourite books. I leant it to my sister-in-law, and shes taken it to Newcastle, so its much easier just to download it so I can read it again.

Also never got around to reading Animal Farm.

Farrenheit 451 is also on the store, but at $9.95 I might wait to see if the price drops. Thats a big investment. ;)

All these books were on the compulsory reading list at school, which is why I'll never pick them up again, especially Animal Farm.

"Four Legs good, two legs baaaad"

There are only 2 books I ever really enjoyed reading compulsorily at school - My Brother Jack and Empire of the Sun
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Grenville » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 pm

I thought Animal Farm was a decent read at school, didn't mind Macbeth either.
Grenville
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment