Law Changes to SANFL for 2006

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Law Changes to SANFL for 2006

Postby Wedgie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:11 am

Is everyone aware that 4 of the rule changes in the SANFL this year? ( I was aware of the changes in the AFL especially the kick ins )
I know I wasn't until I read this:

Laws Change in 2006

SANFL trial matches have commenced at the junior levels and Round 1 of the season is not too far away. Of course, with any new season comes new laws and law changes, and 2006 is no exception.

This season will see the introduction of four major changes to the current laws.

1. Stopping Time
The timekeepers shall stop the clock which is used for the timing of the match when the Field Umpire crosses his or her arms to indicate that he or she is going to bounce or throw the ball up.

2. Kicking the football into play after a behind has been scored
A player of the defending team may kick the football into play when the goal umpire has signaled that a behind has been scored.

3. Marking the Football
Where a field umpire is of the opinion that he or she has incorrectly blown the whistle to award a mark that was not subsequently completed, he or she may cancel the decision and call play on.

4. Kicking for Goal
Where a player is kicking for a goal after being awarded a mark or free kick in the goal square, the kick shall be taken from directly in front of the goals from a spot horizontally across from where the mark or free kick was awarded.

These changes will take effect from the weekend of Saturday 25 February 2006 to include introduction in the trial match period.

I wonder if the new kicking the footy in directly after the signalling of a point will advantage/disadvantage a few teams?
Less acute angles for marks near the goal might help North with the tall timber they'll have up there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3921 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Tee » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:11 am

I think rule 1 is a good idea. Alot of time can be wasted by ballups.
But will time commence again when the ball is bounced or does the umpire have to blow his whistle & put his hand up to signal time back on?

Rules 2-4 I would of just left as they where.
Tee
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Grand Central » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Hooray for rule 3. I hate it when an umpire predicts a mark.
Grand Central
Rookie

Postby Jimmy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:12 pm

3. Marking the Football
Where a field umpire is of the opinion that he or she has incorrectly blown the whistle to award a mark that was not subsequently completed, he or she may cancel the decision and call play on.

this rule needs more thought...when the ump blows the whistly, 9 times out of 10 the players stop, so i suggest instead of play on being called, the ump should ball it up so no one is confused and play can begin on an even keel...i doubt umps can keep control when players lose their cool and the crowd will just be confused.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Jimmy wrote:3. Marking the Football

this rule needs more thought...when the ump blows the whistly, 9 times out of 10 the players stop, so i suggest instead of play on being called, the ump should ball it up so no one is confused and play can begin on an even keel...i doubt umps can keep control when players lose their cool and the crowd will just be confused.
Maybe the umpires shouldn't just blow their load, & wait for players to complete the mark? Do the umpires really think we're imoressed with split second decision making?
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby duncs7 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 pm

all good rule changes. ive always wanted to see all of these.
Elizabeth Eagles Football Club. Est 1956
Argana Park, Elizabeth. SA
http://www.elizabethfc.net
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby Gilly » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:50 pm

"3. Marking the Football
Where a field umpire is of the opinion that he or she has incorrectly blown the whistle to award a mark that was not subsequently completed, he or she may cancel the decision and call play on."

This is a deplorable rule change. Instead of creating a rule to compensate for the umpires' mistakes, why not instruct the umpires to only award a mark once it has been completed and to stop making assumptions.
Gilly
Rookie

Postby duncs7 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Gilly wrote:"3. Marking the Football
Where a field umpire is of the opinion that he or she has incorrectly blown the whistle to award a mark that was not subsequently completed, he or she may cancel the decision and call play on."

This is a deplorable rule change. Instead of creating a rule to compensate for the umpires' mistakes, why not instruct the umpires to only award a mark once it has been completed and to stop making assumptions.

agreed, but when they do stuff up it should be play on.
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby doggies4eva » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 am

Don't like Rule 4. There should be a reward to the backman who forces a forward to go wide - even if it is close to goal.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:39 am

Agree with most comments, like Rule 1 but the others should have stayed as they were imho ... I applaud the SANFL as a rule for their innovation and not being as drastic with changes as the AFL, but I think perhaps they might have erred on this occasion .. Still, it's the same rules for all teams I guess ...
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Board index   Football  SANFL