Anzac Day Div 1 match

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Anzac Day Div 1 match

Postby aceman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Anzac Day Div 1 match, Gepps Cross versus Gaza at Duncan Fraser Res. B grade to start at 12.15pm.

The last time an Anzac day game was played Gepps v's Kilburn in Div 2 in excess of 3000 people were there during the day.
The ceremony involving a Digger from each club, the Last Post and raising of the flag was a great touch.

All of this will happen again this season on Friday April 25th, put it in your footy calendar NOW

Many thanks to the SAAFL for their support with this day
Last edited by aceman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Anzac Day Div 1 match

Postby Andy #24 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Lucky it's on Friday. The 4 day turn around from the Tuesday killed me two years ago. Great for us average joes to play on ANZAC day but it probably didn't help our season.
Andy #24
Under 18s

Postby 1Eyed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Port Districts and Seaton will be playing ANZAC day again, said to be at Seaton this year.
1Eyed
Rookie

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:40 pm

1Eyed wrote:Port Districts and Seaton will be playing ANZAC day again, said to be at Seaton this year.

do seaton and port districts play ANZAC day every year? coz i would fo thought they would do wat the SANFL do and ply the grand final rematch on anzac day
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Felch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm

1Eyed wrote:Port Districts and Seaton will be playing ANZAC day again, said to be at Seaton this year.

Are you sure thats the case ? I wouldnt think the SAAFL would want two D1 games in competition with each other on ANZAC Day.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 pm

NOBODY SHOULD BE PLAYING ON ANZAC DAY EXCEPT COLLINGWOOD AND ESSENDON!

HAVEN'T THEY COPYRIGHTED THE CONCEPT????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Felch wrote:

Are you sure thats the case ? I wouldnt think the SAAFL would want two D1 games in competition with each other on ANZAC Day.

I think it would be great to play on ANZAC Day but I don't think it should be narrowed down to just one game per division.

I know clubs would love to have massive crowds at their game but it is not about how much money clubs make, its about honouring those who went to war before us!! Although I haven't played on ANZAC day I think it would be one of the biggest games of anyones life - regardless of what level its played!
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby Felch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 pm

LovinFooty wrote:
Felch wrote:

I think it would be great to play on ANZAC Day but I don't think it should be narrowed down to just one game per division.

I know clubs would love to have massive crowds at their game but it is not about how much money clubs make, its about honouring those who went to war before us!! Although I haven't played on ANZAC day I think it would be one of the biggest games of anyones life - regardless of what level its played!

Thats all good, but i bet you Seaton and, especially, Pt Districts would have gone off their t!ts if another D1/D2 game was programmed on ANZAC day last year. Districts invested alot of time and money into the event.
If the amount of games being played on ANZAC day isnt limited, then doesnt it just become another 'ordinary' footy round.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:30 pm

LovinFooty wrote:
Felch wrote:

i can see where ur coming from in regards the honouring the people that went to war but i disagree with it being the bigegst game of any1 life, surley a grand final would be the greatest game of some1 life. dont get me worng i would be excited and honoured to paly on anzac day.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm

Felch wrote:
LovinFooty wrote:
Felch wrote:

Thats all good, but i bet you Seaton and, especially, Pt Districts would have gone off their t!ts if another D1/D2 game was programmed on ANZAC day last year. Districts invested alot of time and money into the event.
If the amount of games being played on ANZAC day isnt limited, then doesnt it just become another 'ordinary' footy round.

Yeah that's true Felch. Its a can of worms ready to blow! If your going to limit it then it should be the previous years grand finalists! For arguments sake why should the 2 Grand Finallists from say Div 3 come into Div 2 and play on ANZAC Day? Also what would happen in Div 1 when the 2 gf teams come up from div 2 - there are already 2 gf teams in div 1!

How would you let some teams play and not others?? First in best dressed? Maybe a lottery at the start of the year!
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:33 pm

i didn't say it would BE the biggest but one of the biggest. Obviously the GF is better!

Are you mispelling on purpose there?? Its bloody annoying if you are!
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:35 pm

LovinFooty wrote:i didn't say it would BE the biggest but one of the biggest. Obviously the GF is better!

i like the lottery one, you could just put the teams that are playing each other in a hat and draw the two teams out, that sounds like a fair idea
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Felch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Maybe you give the previous year's grand finalists first crack at it. If they decline, then you could have a nomination system. Interested parties could register their interest in November/December before the season starts, and the SAAFL could decide which match-up would best suit the competition's interests.
Remember, one of the reason's last years worked so well was because it was played between the top 2 sides. And they were both western suburb teams, which enhanced local interest.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Postby Pag » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:46 pm

I think the fact that it was a local derby helped. The game takes on a bit more if it's between two local sides with a bit of a rivalry.

Having say Kenilworth vs Smithfield (just an example) wouldn't draw the crowd due to the travel factor.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Felch wrote:Maybe you give the previous year's grand finalists first crack at it. If they decline, then you could have a nomination system. Interested parties could register their interest in November/December before the season starts, and the SAAFL could decide which match-up would best suit the competition's interests.
Remember, one of the reason's last years worked so well was because it was played between the top 2 sides. And they were both western suburb teams, which enhanced local interest.

How would you feel if 2 newly promoted teams played on ANZAC Day in your division??

Pag is right - it has to 2 local clubs otherwise no interest.
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby Felch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:05 pm

LovinFooty wrote:
Felch wrote:Maybe you give the previous year's grand finalists first crack at it. If they decline, then you could have a nomination system. Interested parties could register their interest in November/December before the season starts, and the SAAFL could decide which match-up would best suit the competition's interests.

How would you feel if 2 newly promoted teams played on ANZAC Day in your division??

Pag is right - it has to 2 local clubs otherwise no interest.

Thats my point !!! Im saying that you have to be very choosy on the games played on ANZAC days. They have to be matches that will draw plenty of spectators. And you cant do that with too many other games on the same day.

Agreed on the 2 local team thing, or if not local, 2 clubs with a fierce rivalry.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Postby LovinFooty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Its a tough one that's for sure!

As for this topics game Gepps v Gaza - why do gepps get the right to play when they didn't do too well last year. You would think Gaza and Goodwood would lay claim to rivalry in Div 1 - Goodwood beating gaza in two of the last three GF's!
LovinFooty
Rookie

Postby Felch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm

LovinFooty wrote:Its a tough one that's for sure!

As for this topics game Gepps v Gaza - why do gepps get the right to play when they didn't do too well last year. You would think Gaza and Goodwood would lay claim to rivalry in Div 1 - Goodwood beating gaza in two of the last three GF's!

Yeah, im guessing it was a 'first in, best dressed' situation.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Postby Pag » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:20 pm

I'll throw it out there, I put the idea to our committee a while back to get Para Hills on board for an ANZAC Day game this year. GF Replay, close in location, big rivalry (anyone who saw the GF last year will back me up), RSL next door to Salisbury Oval who would get inolved, think it could be a great day.

But agree with Felch, the number has be limited. 1 per division, tops.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby aceman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Just to fill you in on the Division 1 Anzac Day game, this was put to the SAAFL in November 2007 by both clubs, it was agreed in principle by the CEO but is still subject to program ratification. Gepps Cross was the initiator with this format a few years ago when they played Kilburn, as it currently stands with the SAAFL, I think it's first in gets the gig. This will only be changed through pressure from within the ranks. I think there is a Div 6 game also, Hope Valley v's Houghton
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League