Fiveaa "An insult to the SANFL & its passionate supporters"

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Fiveaa "An insult to the SANFL & its passionate supporters"

Postby arthur5038 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:52 am

Doug Robertson teed off big time at fiveaa in the Advertiser today, footy goss page 52. Can't find a link so here it is

"PANEL WAS AN INSULT

Would you enlist a panel to call footy finals if they hadn't seen a match all season or they knew only 10 percent of the players?

FIVEaa did for the SANFL qualifying and elimination finals yesterday and the panel's lack of knowledge shone like a beacon.

Ken "KG" Cunningham, Chris McDermott and Chris Dittmar frequently had a laugh at not knwoing many players but it took just five minutes of the Glenelg-Sturt elimination final to make that obvious.

The FIVEaa experts collectively bellowed down the airwaves "Whoa, what a mark" but Dittmar could only tell the listeners it was taken by a Glenelg player.

McDermott asked "Who was that?" Dittmar replied "I wish you didnt ask me that"

And because he didn't the listeners will never know.

It was an insult to the SANFL and its passionate followers. - Doug Robertson. "
arthur5038

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Fiveaa "An insult to the SANFL & its passionate supporters"

Postby TroyGFC » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 am

perhaps they need to panel of a couple of supporters from clubs to help out.
http://www.palmoilaction.org.au/

JUST SMASH 'EM TIGERS!!
TroyGFC
League - Top 5

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby MightyEagles » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:00 am

Why don't they get a budget on friday and go through the names. Hang on, that would be to difficult, just to hard.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby LPH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:00 am

Sh*t, eh ??? 8)

Where are Rushby, CUTTERMAN & others ??? :wink:

Can't say it wasn't unexpected... hence my post "Calling all SANFL fans" 8)
(Just another crusade you lot said)

Double AA spent the ENTIRE year doing AFL not SANFL hence they DON'T know the players unless they are AFL listed.

I repeat... if you want BALANCED coverage & KNOWLEDGE of OUR competition DO NOT LISTEN to them... enough said 8)
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:18 am

we may not agree on too many things LEH but I'am with you 100% here.

I was on a preseason cricket camp all weekend and the morning showers made us pull the pin early and head home. just to compund my inner issues due to lack of sleep the bus driver and club coach decides to put 5AA on the radio. the 30 seconds I listened to was embarrassing to the so called professional comercial radio station. The Sturt player tackled the Glenelg player etc.

Thank god I had enough brains to take my radio/mp3 player and tune into Life FM with Phil H and the boys. Much better calling of the game and to add some more feeling the echo of the neighboring call box

can someone please try to give them a serve this arvo they are a joke :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:29 am

The SANFL and its passionate supporters don't listen to 5AA. Hard to be insulted when you don't tune in.

Let them have their substandard, unprofessional call. 90% of the audience would be AFL fans who haven't seen a SANFL game all year and would be more interested in the AFL players than either team. If it gets a handful of these people interested in the SANFL then it ain't such a bad thing.

The rest of us will stick to the tried and proven callers. Keep up the good work RPH and Life.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1565 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Ecky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:45 am

LoudEagleHooligan wrote:Sh*t, eh ??? 8)

Where are Rushby, CUTTERMAN & others ??? :wink:

Can't say it wasn't unexpected... hence my post "Calling all SANFL fans" 8)
(Just another crusade you lot said)

Double AA spent the ENTIRE year doing AFL not SANFL hence they DON'T know the players unless they are AFL listed.

I repeat... if you want BALANCED coverage & KNOWLEDGE of OUR competition DO NOT LISTEN to them... enough said 8)

LEH, you have missed the point, there are two separate issues here. :roll:

A boycott of 5AA does not make sense because it makes it less likely that this high-rating station will cover SANFL finals again, thus limiting the exposure to the SANFL of thousands of potential new fans/bandwaggoners that we all want to see.

However, given that it is SO important for the SANFL that 5AA does cover the finals and provide a good coverage, it was highly disappointing how embarrassing their coverage was.That is the point Doug is getting at - it is a plea to the 5AA commentators to do some research before covering the game.

How hard would it have been for KG and co to at least watch a copy of the Sturt-Glenelg ABC game from 2 weeks ago. If they took notes on that they should have had 95% of the players sorted out before the first bounce, it seriously isn't that hard to learn them, especially for experienced commentators who have been in the business for many years...
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Ecky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:47 am

PS I would love it if someone rang up KG tonight and challenged him on why he didn't bother putting any effort into learning the players before the game.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm

excellent post Ecky, sums it up well, I also listened to the AA call early for interest sake, I think they knew the numbers it just wernt helped by the fact that it was gloomy, raining and the ball was on the outer wing for 90% of the 1st 1/4...you can learn all the numbers you want but if you cant see them whats the use? most callers would get used to how a players looks (size, hair colour, game style) not rely on numbers solely which obviously was AA's only way of calling...

In summary I think it was great that 4 radios stations and ABCTV covered the games, both ch7 & 9 had deatiled reports...all good for the SANFL...havent seen the papers coverage today though
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2350 times
Been liked: 3624 times

Postby darley16 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:14 pm

"5AA live and local 24 hours a day".........unless they think tuning into 3AW ìs a better option so we small city folk can listen to what's happening in the BIG important cities. Can't get more live and local than SANFL for a talkback sports radio station, so they decide to broadcast because 3AW may be a little quiet, then manage to provide Adelaide listerners to that rubbish attempt of commentary, Wildy was almost in a state of ridicule until it finally dawned on him that this wasn't a bad a game of footy. These 5AA people except Ebert and Rowe (who appreciate the significance of the SANFL), need to consider that if it wasn't for this great comp they themselves would still be failed used car salesman and government clerks.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Blue Boy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:21 pm

I was runnin late to the game and listened for the first 5 mins to AAs call - thought it was funny more than anything else !!!

From the way the article read It looks like someone else only listened to that much as well !!!
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:havent seen the papers coverage today though

save your money. Partland's two articles on the game were an insult to both teams.

If anyone from the 'tiser is reading this: Please have Zac Milbank cover the Bays game next week, thanks.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1565 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:havent seen the papers coverage today though

save your money. Partland's two articles on the game were an insult to both teams.

If anyone from the 'tiser is reading this: Please have Zac Milbank cover the Bays game next week, thanks.

yeah just saw your post on the louts...pretty poor...but if anything might fire the Bays up even Moore for next week seeing we didnt win the game without help :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2350 times
Been liked: 3624 times

Postby woodwt » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Well said Doug Robertson , they were a joke!! :evil:
Last edited by woodwt on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodwt
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time

Postby scott » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:58 pm

MightyEagles wrote:Why don't they get a budget on friday and go through the names. Hang on, that would be to difficult, just to hard.

How does one obtain the budget on friday (other than when a game is on)? I've seen you post umpires names mid-week so I'm assuming you get them from that?
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby arthur5038 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:00 pm

SANFL needs FIVEAA

But this year FIVEAA is not giving the SANFL the respect the competition deserves
1) No Minor Rd Games called. Had two opportunities to do Port v Sturt & Port v Glenelg during AFL break but took networked program from Melbourne instread. Called 5 minor round games last year.

2) Dropped SANFL segment off the Sunday Roast. Started pre-season then dropped. To be fair Rowey is a passionate promoter of the SANFL.

3) Reduced the interviews on KG & Cornsey. Used to be automatic 4.50pm Monday & Friday. Now more hit & miss.

4) No SANFL expert and lack of preparation in yesterdays call.

What FIVEaa should do

1) - Find an SANFL expert and use them
Like John Nankivell on ABC radio yesterday. His SANFL knowledge balanced well with Peter Walsh's commentary
An expert on the product can often "carry" others who are good general sports presenters.

2) - Commentators shoudl show some respect and do the research
Learn the numbers and some background on the players. If they dont have it SANFL & clubs would provide

3) - In 2008 call some minor round games when there is no AFL / Or drop the "we're live and local" tag.

4) - In 2008 have a dedicated SANFL show
Maybe 8pm on a Sunday night after the AFL twilight game. Great chance to review the round and give something in depth, as oppossed to KG & Cornsey who have a superficical knowledge of SANFL events.

These are all reasonable requests and shouldn't be at any great cost or impact to AFL commitments
arthur5038

Been liked: 2 times

Postby NFC » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I listened to a bit of the second game on FiveAA and while at times it was bad, I thought they did a reasonable job.
NFC
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:41 pm

scott wrote:
MightyEagles wrote:Why don't they get a budget on friday and go through the names. Hang on, that would be to difficult, just to hard.

How does one obtain the budget on friday (other than when a game is on)? I've seen you post umpires names mid-week so I'm assuming you get them from that?

The budget's usually available on newstands in the city on Friday arvos.

Also - media outlets could organise to get it from the printer 'hot off the press'
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby abluesince67 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:56 pm

"
excellent post Ecky, sums it up well, I also listened to the AA call early for interest sake, I think they knew the numbers it just wernt helped by the fact that it was gloomy, raining and the ball was on the outer wing for 90% of the 1st 1/4...you can learn all the numbers you want but if you cant see them whats the use? most callers would get used to how a players looks (size, hair colour, game style) not rely on numbers solely which obviously was AA's only way of calling...

In summary I think it was great that 4 radios stations and ABCTV covered the games, both ch7 & 9 had deatiled reports...all good for the SANFL...havent seen the papers coverage today though"

Dutchy - Having been to my first game all year and having only seen a little of the ABC coverage all year i find is amusing you thought it was gloomy, raining and the ball was on the outer wing and therefore the AA commetators should be excused somewhat. I was sitting not far from their commentary box and could see fine all day and i did not have binoculars.

I want AA to lift their coverage of SANFL - If it did then more ratings success may follow as i for one would listen more. To Glenelg - Well Done, you were in front at the right time. No the umpires did not make Feasty miss that goal nor did they make the Sturt players miss with their kicks about 5 or more times, but please do not tell me that the shocking display of umpiring did not have and effect on this game. Rick Macgowan is quoted as saying that Sturt played within themselves - this is because the umpiring did not allow them to play with any confidence whats so ever.
abluesince67
Mini-League

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:05 pm

i can see both points of view but I think even though 5AA has a huge following, its disgraceful that they have bought the SANFL down to this level, which is where these commentators all started...........

they really should consider not broadcasting any games in the future if they are not going to do any home-work.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11981 times
Been liked: 3658 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL