Radio coverage for 2006

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Radio coverage for 2006

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:44 am

Sources tell me that apart from 5AflAlways 5RPH may well be the only station covering live games this year.Coast and Life FM are not keen which will put tremendous pressure on the 5RPH crew to cover more than should be expected of them...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2335 times
Been liked: 3589 times

Re: Radio coverage for 2006

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:38 am

Dutchy wrote:Sources tell me that apart from 5AflAlways 5RPH may well be the only station covering live games this year.Coast and Life FM are not keen which will put tremendous pressure on the 5RPH crew to cover more than should be expected of them...

noooooo, why the hell wouldnt they be keen????
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby stan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Covering the sanfl just doesnt get the ratings anymore.
Poor jim :(
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:22 pm

Life FM would be a great loss as plenty of I/S and O/S fans enjoyed the net coverage.
Thank christ for RPH, I don't know where we'd be without them, keep up the great work Phil and DB!

I've discussed with the Coast FM SANFL show lads in the past about if there was any chance of them entering the fray again.
Unless things have changed it seemed no chance there due to logisitics.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Just no money there. Always the way. Probably spent on wining and dining the CEO's friends.
stan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:41 pm

The SANFL should look at subsidising radio coverage if it looks like dropping off.
At the very least provide better facilities to the radio crews, mind you that's may be more of a council issue at some grounds, Im not sure.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Mickyj » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:53 pm

I think Philp h would agree with you wedgie from some of his comments last year .
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Cooper » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 am

Life FM have also been covering the soccer so it would seem logical to continue with footy however, I have heard that they havn't made up their mind as yet...it would be very disapointing for sanfl fans. Maybe we should ring them and give our support to the coverage. Their number is 8244 6800. They are a community station so we have right to ring them as the community and lobby for the coverage to go ahead. It's my understanding that money is not the main issue.
Cooper

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby stan » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 am

Well what is the main issue?

Ratings?
stan
Coach

Radio Coverage for 2006.

Postby sturtpeter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:51 pm

Wedgie, Why do you dislike Paul Blandis so much?

The guy deserves top marks for fronting up on Thursday nights during the Summer and he's an entertaining, funny guy too.
Avid Sturt supporter and SANFL fanatic.
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Re: Radio Coverage for 2006.

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:02 pm

sturtpeter wrote:Wedgie, Why do you dislike Paul Blandis so much?

The guy deserves top marks for fronting up on Thursday nights during the Summer and he's an entertaining, funny guy too.

I agree he should get top marks for fronting up to Thursday nights shows, as far as I'm aware that's totally voluntary with no pay, as far as I'm aware they do receive an allowance of some sort for commentary work though. Paul also puts stats together for various publications and I enjoy those and think he should be commended for that work too. I think all the 5RPH guys fully deserved the award they got last year. I'm a huge fan of 5RPH and the work they do within the SANFL community, I even did an around the grounds update for them once! :) (Must have been bad, never got called up again! ;))

Just not a fan of Paul's comments, comes across at times as holier than thou always knowing what's best for every club. One tirade last year basically saying Brett Backwell doesn't try when on the field for Glenelg was the straw that broke the camels back when it came to me putting up with him. I went to a lot of Bays games last year and if anything Mouse always gave 110%, more often than not a lot more than his team mates. Someone who has worked with him agrees with my assessment too.

I think the fact that Phil and DB set such high standards that anyone else in the commentary box is always going to seem ordinary in comparison.

As for Smithy, christ, I'll lend anyone a copy of our win at Unley Oval in 2004 on DVD with the RPH commentary if you want to see some of the stuff ups this man made, at one stage got an aboriginal player mixed up with a white player and at one stage said no North fans were at the game until Phil rightfully pointed out the mass of red and white on the hill at Unley. The amount of times he gets players mixed up is qute extraordinary, appears to be guessing at times. Probably be better suited as a special comments man IMHO. I enjoy his work on Monday mornings during the season with Phil though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby zipzap » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 pm

With the AFL announcing its radio contracts soon, 5AA are no certainty. Especially if the AFL buy into SEN as has been mentioned. Therefore might 5AA be forced to come crawling back to the 'local comp' in 2007?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby stan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:15 am

zipzap wrote:With the AFL announcing its radio contracts soon, 5AA are no certainty. Especially if the AFL buy into SEN as has been mentioned. Therefore might 5AA be forced to come crawling back to the 'local comp' in 2007?

Probably or you'll be doing nothing during the footy season.
stan
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 pm

I have to agree with Wedgie's comments regarding Smithy as a commentator.
Quite incredible the number of mistakes he makes in identifying players or simply in his mangling of the English language
Having said that i applaud his efforts in bringing the local footy a bit closer for a lot of people.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Radio Coverage 2006

Postby sturtpeter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:10 pm

As I mentioned on footysa I think Chris Andrews should be given a role at RPH.

He mentioned time may be a problem but he was outstanding during last year's Reserves coverage of the Prelim and GF.

Nai also on the SANFL show on Thursdays:)
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Re: Radio Coverage 2006

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm

sturtpeter wrote:As I mentioned on footysa I think Chris Andrews should be given a role at RPH.

He mentioned time may be a problem but he was outstanding during last year's Reserves coverage of the Prelim and GF.

Nai also on the SANFL show on Thursdays:)

I too thought CA did a good job in the ressies GF too. I thought he was the stand out in ressies GF as far as the broadcast went.
Has a good radio voice and a good knowledge.
I haven't listened to the Thursday night show for a couple of years now (I prefer the Coast FM Friday night show) so can't comment on that but as Ive said once before on footysa I would prefer the footysa lads to get a go and replace Blandis and Smith.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby ca » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm

Attention SturtPeter and Wedgie,

I think members of my family are trying to inpersonate you on this site. You might need to reset your passwords, I'll have a word to them.

Its kind of hard for me to comment knowing a number of the guys but I really hope John Nankaville gets a gig on one of the stations this year. Without knowing I presume Phil, DB, Smithy and Paul Blandis will be back at RPH, all good blokes and do a great job.
ca
Reserves

Been liked: 2 times

Radio Coverage for 2006

Postby sturtpeter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Nah! lol.

You did extremely well and deserve a gig:)
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Postby ds32 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:17 pm

Just to ease the issue with the broadcasting for SANFL 5rph will be covering as many games as they can this year. We certainly will be doing more than last year, that total was 39.It may well be a record coverage of over 50 games this year.As for the comments from Wedgie and Ronnie i will take that on board sure i get a few players wrong we all do but i will stand by my use of the english language. Instead of being so critical all the time why not offer constructive advice. To be honest Iv'e sat back and viewed your comments for a long time Wedgie and fell you are going over the top but the offer is there any time you want to sit down have a beer and discuss your outbursts i really would love to hear your complaints. The offer is there if you want to accept. Darryl Smith
ds32
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:23 pm

ds32 wrote:Just to ease the issue with the broadcasting for SANFL 5rph will be covering as many games as they can this year. We certainly will be doing more than last year, that total was 39.It may well be a record coverage of over 50 games this year.As for the comments from Wedgie and Ronnie i will take that on board sure i get a few players wrong we all do but i will stand by my use of the english language. Instead of being so critical all the time why not offer constructive advice. To be honest Iv'e sat back and viewed your comments for a long time Wedgie and fell you are going over the top but the offer is there any time you want to sit down have a beer and discuss your outbursts i really would love to hear your complaints. The offer is there if you want to accept. Darryl Smith

Hiya Smithy,
I'd love to sit down and have a beer some time, I don't have an issue with your use of the English Language, just the mistakes you made.
I wouldn't call them "outbursts", merely a commentary on your commentary! ;)
Having said that you do a much better job than I could ever do, don't get me wrong (hell the one time I did an around the grounds score update I was a blubbering mess!), I was hoping my advice was constructive in some manner but agree with you in that I have been over the top. Just remember I love your work on Monday mornings and basically hold anyone who does any work to help promote the SANFL in high regard. When we have a beer I'll bring along an aboriginal player and a white player just to help you out. he he (just kidding). Good luck with season 2006.
Great to have you on the site and great news on the fantastic work 5RPH continues to do for the SANFL. Keep up the good work!

PS Feel free to criticise my photography or web design work ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL