Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby mal » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:54 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
dedja wrote:I really don’t see what the problem is, everyone knows that if a team is chasing a win and they have the opposition 7 wickets down at the usual stumps time, then the extra 30 mins is offered to the fielding team.

There’s no ‘all of a sudden’ at all. If they don’t know the Laws then they shouldn’t be out there.

It's not "all of a sudden" the rules change in the game, the teams know them going into the series.

It is "all of a sudden" in that a days play can be altered because of what happens with one ball at 5.25. Which is already 25 minutes past stumps.

It needs a tweak, that is all.

Last night was not as exciting or intriguing compared to needing 80 runs or 3 wickets this morning.

Good points raised
The rule could be come back for the next day if the chasing team needs 100 or less to win the match ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby dedja » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:55 pm

Maybe FH, but you also have to be sensible about opening up a large, expensive stadium for perhaps 30-60mins the next day.

Understand what you’re saying, but I’m OK with it.

There’s been plenty of matches at Adelaide Oval in the past (not necessarily Tests), where they used to open up the gates after tea and people would turn up if something exciting was happening, like when Hookesy was pissed off and hit that 100 off 30 odd balls against Victoria.

I think if we’re looking to change anything is to get rid of DRS. The Cummins 2nd innings dismissal was perplexing and the Pakis weren’t happy with Rizwan’s decision. The decisions take far too long, sometimes involve issues at the margins, and detract from the match; howlers have virtually been eliminated now as umpiring standards have greatly improved. In both of those cases, I’d be happy with the umpire’s original decision, even if they might have got it wrong.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:43 pm

If anything, the extra half hour disadvantages the bowling team. Imagine if it was 38 degrees, batting team would be more than happy to carry on for the extra half hour.

I have a left field idea that might help save Test cricket.
I think we all agree its pretty nigh on impossible to win an away series anywhere in the world, doesnt matter who you are, India winning in Australia the only one of note recently.

What if we even up the odds a bit, The away team operates under current LBW review conditions but the home team is given out if any part of the ball is hitting the stumps. It seems the home teams get the rub of the reviews as a general rule. I imagine its just home crowd bias influencing umpires subconsciously much like crowds in the AFL.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby dedja » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:46 pm

Are you on the AFL Laws of the Game Committee? :lol:

Less is more! :YMAPPLAUSE:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm

am Bays wrote:Whuffer is logging on as we speak....

Didn’t get to watch much play yesterday….let me guess another dropped catch or missed stumping.

Not surprised.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:27 pm

am Bays wrote:Whuffer is logging on as we speak....

To praise Alex Carey for his match defining 53 runs ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:49 pm

dedja wrote:Maybe FH, but you also have to be sensible about opening up a large, expensive stadium for perhaps 30-60mins the next day.

Understand what you’re saying, but I’m OK with it.

There’s been plenty of matches at Adelaide Oval in the past (not necessarily Tests), where they used to open up the gates after tea and people would turn up if something exciting was happening, like when Hookesy was pissed off and hit that 100 off 30 odd balls against Victoria.

I think if we’re looking to change anything is to get rid of DRS. The Cummins 2nd innings dismissal was perplexing and the Pakis weren’t happy with Rizwan’s decision. The decisions take far too long, sometimes involve issues at the margins, and detract from the match; howlers have virtually been eliminated now as umpiring standards have greatly improved. In both of those cases, I’d be happy with the umpire’s original decision, even if they might have got it wrong.

Yeah, understand about the economics of opening the stadium but you wouldn't have to open everything. How about the economics of the interest in the next Test if Pakistan had have got the runs today?

I agree the DRS can take far too long. One look at the replay and if it can't be conclusively overturned with that, it can't have been that bad a decision. I actually think that should go for every sport, not just cricket.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:If anything, the extra half hour disadvantages the bowling team. Imagine if it was 38 degrees, batting team would be more than happy to carry on for the extra half hour.

I have a left field idea that might help save Test cricket.
I think we all agree its pretty nigh on impossible to win an away series anywhere in the world, doesnt matter who you are, India winning in Australia the only one of note recently.

What if we even up the odds a bit, The away team operates under current LBW review conditions but the home team is given out if any part of the ball is hitting the stumps. It seems the home teams get the rub of the reviews as a general rule. I imagine its just home crowd bias influencing umpires subconsciously much like crowds in the AFL.

But far more often that not the situation of the game means the bowling team has the say in staying out there or not. All I'm saying is make the call at the start of the last half-hour or with 6 overs to go, not 5.25 or the second last over.

Your DRS idea has merit in considering. It would be interesting to see some stats of home or away teams where it has been umpires call and what the original on field decision was. Certainly seems we have been on the end of it against the Poms in the last decade, and I suppose these are the ones we remember more.
The batsmen certainly should lose it if the on-filed umpire doesn't think he is playing a shot. How would that have changed this test if Marsh was given out (forget the score but we would have been about 50-70 and he was 20-30).
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:35 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:All the get off the field Marnus and Smith posters have nothing to say about Rizwan there......

Because he didnt fn hit it

Rubbish, it’s out and no debate about it. He was rubbing a spot 6 inches away from where the ball passed over. If his argument was the mark on his arm then maybe he needs to watch this…

https://www.theroar.com.au/cricket/vide ... l-1324772/
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby dedja » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:52 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:All the get off the field Marnus and Smith posters have nothing to say about Rizwan there......

Because he didnt fn hit it

Rubbish, it’s out and no debate about it. He was rubbing a spot 6 inches away from where the ball passed over. If his argument was the mark on his arm then maybe he needs to watch this…

https://www.theroar.com.au/cricket/vide ... l-1324772/

I’m amazed it took this long for someone to call out that the mark was already there before that ball was bowled.
dedja
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 am

Warner also retiring from ODI
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:08 am

Brodlach wrote:Warner also retiring from ODI

One to go. :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:10 am

Terrible way to bring in the new year

We will not see our best ever 3 format player in ODI cricket again and in a few days test cricket too :(( :((
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby locky801 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:15 am

Armchair expert wrote:Terrible way to bring in the new year

We will not see our best ever 3 format player in ODI cricket again and in a few days test cricket too :(( :((

Money speaks louder than words ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:29 am

First time ever I wouldn’t mind a Sydney Test washout. ;;)
dedja
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:53 am

locky801 wrote:

He was already set to not play the ODI's and T20I's against the Windies instead planning to play for his ILT20 franchise Dubai Capitals from Jan 20 to Feb 18th. He also plans to play for the Sydney Thunder after the Sydney test match.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RB » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:09 pm

Is he going to play in the T20 series in NZ? If not he'll be stranded on 99 T20Is for a while.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:21 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
locky801 wrote:

He was already set to not play the ODI's and T20I's against the Windies instead planning to play for his ILT20 franchise Dubai Capitals from Jan 20 to Feb 18th. He also plans to play for the Sydney Thunder after the Sydney test match.
He is declining a CA contract but wants to play in the T20 WC and still hasn’t ruled out playing in the ICC Champions Trophy in 2025. If he isn’t making himself available for country I’m not sure he should be picked for the T20 WC regardless of form
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:37 pm

dedja wrote:

First time ever I wouldn’t mind a Sydney Test washout. ;;)

Same, imagine all the segments on Davey we could have! ;)
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 pm

Good luck to Warner

Whilst he’s lucky to make my 3rd Australian XI he’s paid his dues and has a good 3-4 years left to earn coin on the global t20 circuit

It’s good for Australian Cricket as we need to start regenerating our test and ODI side
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket