Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

Postby valleys07 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:Congratulations to Australia. Will go down is arguably their greatest World Cup win given it was on the subcontinent, beating India in the final and coming from 0-2.

Australia's fielding in the second half of the tournament was incredible and exactly why its such an important part of the game.

Got their batting order balance right, Smith and Labuschagne showing their value in the two finals when Australia needed someone to dig in a bit. Complimented the Warners, Marsh, Head and Maxwell beautifully.

India will be shattered.

Not even top two IMO

1987 is the best for the reason you listed above beat india in india (with Sunil, Shastri Shrikkanth, Dev etc), Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran, Javid, SAlim malik Qadir) and then touched up a very good English team that smoked us in the B&H WSC six months earlier. We revolutionised how one day cricket was played up until then.

Next best is 2007, great team that smoked everyone. Sri Lanka, South Africa, No one came close was just an amazing perforamce.

This team is good but is arguably ranks along side the 1999 win where we started slow and then had to perform very well at the back end to win it.

Not sure you can have 2007 2nd, when ranking 1987 as the best due to the reasons outlined.

2007 was outstanding, but played out exactly as it should have. 2023 has to be behind 1987, at minimum - no one gave us a chance pre-tournament and after starting 0-2, our top 4 credentials were being seriously questioned, let alone winning the final and knocking off an undefeated India, on their home soil, to do so.

For mine, this is the best. I can't recall 1987, I was too young. Pat Cummins with 2 of the best captaincy performances in my time watching cricket in the Semi and the Final. Unbelievable victory against the odds.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:42 am

I'm not the biggest fan of Pat as a captain (all time great bowler category however) but himself and the coaching panel had two amazing performances in the finals as you mentioned.

The plans and fields set were quality.

From an outsiders perspective almost looked/felt like maybe the team had been a tad lazy in their preparation's pre-tournament and that led into the first couple of games, in particular fielding and bowling plans etc.

Seemed to be a bit of a kick up the backside the team needed and maybe gave them extremely invaluable lessons against what would end up being two the two finalists they would face.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dedja » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:57 am

Dutchy wrote:We have a habit of producing generational, un-orthodox lefties in this state

Let’s hope this one doesn’t go to Victoria.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:03 pm

whufc wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of Pat as a captain (all time great bowler category however) but himself and the coaching panel had two amazing performances in the finals as you mentioned.

The plans and fields set were quality.

From an outsiders perspective almost looked/felt like maybe the team had been a tad lazy in their preparation's pre-tournament and that led into the first couple of games, in particular fielding and bowling plans etc.

Seemed to be a bit of a kick up the backside the team needed and maybe gave them extremely invaluable lessons against what would end up being two the two finalists they would face.

It’s who we are and where we’re at.

We have so many “match winners” in our team, they don’t and will never all fire on the same night but someone always stands up for the fight.

You win some, you lose some this way, we just happened to win the one that mattered most.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Head thinks he will be back at the earliest for the Netherlands game on the 25th

just stay home and prepare for the tests as our tournament will be over by the then

Some of my finest work

Admin change my username to Armchair Dumbass, cheers.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Brodlach » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:07 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Head thinks he will be back at the earliest for the Netherlands game on the 25th

just stay home and prepare for the tests as our tournament will be over by the then

Some of my finest work

No need to change usernames, we were all quite aware :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 pm

What about Inglis performance in a World Cup Final

5 Catches, 0 Byes, no dropped catches, no missed stumpings, didn't fail with the bat. Almost the perfect performance from a keeper ;) :lol: Not bad for a scrubber i think it was that he was called on here during the match.

Surely 5 catches in a world cup final is a record of some sort :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:21 pm

whufc wrote:What about Inglis performance in a World Cup Final

5 Catches, 0 Byes, no dropped catches, no missed stumpings, didn't fail with the bat. Almost the perfect performance from a keeper ;) :lol: Not bad for a scrubber i think it was that he was called on here during the match.

Comprehension not your stong point? I called myself a scrubber, not him (with good cause based on my performance saturday)

And if you call repeatedly taking balls bellow your knees off an opening bowler good keeping, well good on you.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:31 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:What about Inglis performance in a World Cup Final

Comprehension not your stong point? I called myself a scrubber, not him (with good cause based on my performance saturday)

And if you call repeatedly taking balls bellow your knees off an opening bowler good keeping, well good on you.

Its not skating or BMX......there is no style points. 5 catches / 0 byes / 0 dropped catches is as great a stat line as a keeper can obtain.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:36 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Not sure you can have 2007 2nd, when ranking 1987 as the best due to the reasons outlined.

2007 was outstanding, but played out exactly as it should have. 2023 has to be behind 1987, at minimum - no one gave us a chance pre-tournament and after starting 0-2, our top 4 credentials were being seriously questioned, let alone winning the final and knocking off an undefeated India, on their home soil, to do so.

For mine, this is the best. I can't recall 1987, I was too young. Pat Cummins with 2 of the best captaincy performances in my time watching cricket in the Semi and the Final. Unbelievable victory against the odds.

I've got 2007 2nd best after 2007 not beacuse we won but how we won. We basically smoked everyone closest game was against England when we won in the 48th over chasing 250 odd,

If we had dropped a couple of games or just won a couple of close games (like in 2003 couple of narrow wins IIRC - got out of jail against England at Port elizabeth thanks to Bichel) I'd wouldn't rate it as high but the performances of all team members was outstanding. it was a complete high performance win.

1987 is the greatest when you consider we failed to make the semi finals in 83 World Cup and in the World Championship of cricket in 1985 (on home soil).

Yeah we beat India in the 85-86 WSC but they beat us 3-2 in 86 in the one day series in India.

We were a team nobody gave hope to but thanks to players like Waugh, Jones, McDermott, Boon and coming of age to support Border we won it against the odds.

So 87 was the best due to sensational performance by team given no chance to win

2007 is next best IMO because of he sustained high performance against all comers that destroyed to tournament as a contest.

Last nights win has to be commended because of the way we were "on' right from ball one with our fielding which set the tone for an unlikely win against arguably a better side talent wise but the best team won.

Our pressure cricket was suburb and the team deserve all the kudos for that
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Lol how Whuffer cites not failing with the bat as a notch for a bloke who didn't bat.

If it was Carey he'd admonish him for not showing enough initiative with the bat.
Last edited by RB on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:37 pm

carey wrote:
tigerpie wrote:That's the wicket we needed.
He tons up generally they win.
Batting second isn't going to be easy.
Hope we're chasing 250 or less.

India 239
Australia 3/241

When Virat Kohi was dismissed look at, what NOSTRACAREYADAMUS predicted

Australia made 4/241
Had The Trav not got out it would have been 3/241

One of the greatest nostra posts on this site
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:40 pm

whufc wrote:
Its not skating or BMX......there is no style points. 5 catches / 0 byes / 0 dropped catches is as great a stat line as a keeper can obtain.

LOL I write very slowly

If you standing too far back so you cant take the half chances because they bounce in front of you, it's still a missed chance.
am Bays
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:41 pm

whufc wrote:If ever there was a bloke to win a World Cup singlehanded against the Aussies it’s Jadeja.

Spot on his 9 runs and his 0/43 was a match winning effort for Australia ;)
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:"This match depends all on if there will be dew or not"

Surely the players might have something to do with it?

=D>
mal
Coach

Postby stampy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:46 pm

Armchair expert wrote:

Some of my finest work

dumbarse ffs...............
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:47 pm

Aerie wrote:Smith has reviewed everything every time and he doesn’t review that in a World Cup Final. FFS!

Turning point of the games Smiths dismissal :rolleyes:
From that point the only wicket lost was Head for the rest of the innings
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:59 pm

This has to be close to Australia's greatest victory in World Cups
0-2 down, written off my many , including myself[ but half changed my mind when the Trav was available]
To beat this Indian team of superstars in their own backyard was a great win
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:03 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Indians are crumbling

Their players look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders, the pressure of letting down the crowd and their nation :shock:

At the time of reading this post I had thought E2014 was getting sleepy close to bed time
However as the innings continued the Indians appeared to be worried about losing more that winning

Ends up a excellent post
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:07 pm

Great credit must go to 2 people for this World Cup
The Trav , who flew over during the series , who announced himself by making a ton in his debut World Cup game
The other was the inspirational Dedja making a comeback on this site
mal
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket