Salisbury North
7%

Total votes : 28

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League -Division 2

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:18 am

Purple Warrior wrote:Everyone playing for second
Goody saints won't lose a game.

Thanks mate, i needed a giggle. :lol:

I guess under a pseudonym you can actually come on here and say the tooth fairy will win the Keith Sims medal so fair play to you and your funny opinion but i must have missed some signings and returns. Goodwood would not have won Div 2 this year if they were in it and probably not even made the GF.

If we deal in some facts the Saints won 5 games last year. 2 of those games with all due respect were against the worst Div 1 side in memory.

There is a team out North in 2024 that i predict will be in Division 1 in 2025.

If the popular opinion is the Saints are going to cruise through this division they will get a rude shock when they head out to Bagster rd.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 847 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:22 am

Bluedemon wrote:
Purple Warrior wrote:Luke habel new coach of Salisbury North
Outstanding appointment.

will he be a playing coach?

Could still play league footy in my opinion. Won the Reserves B and F at Centrals last year.

He will be playing for sure and his ability to set his team up structurally from on the field will be invaluable.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Pag » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:18 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Purple Warrior wrote:Everyone playing for second
Goody saints won't lose a game.

Thanks mate, i needed a giggle. :lol:

I guess under a pseudonym you can actually come on here and say the tooth fairy will win the Keith Sims medal so fair play to you and your funny opinion but i must have missed some signings and returns. Goodwood would not have won Div 2 this year if they were in it and probably not even made the GF.

If we deal in some facts the Saints won 5 games last year. 2 of those games with all due respect were against the worst Div 1 side in memory.

There is a team out North in 2024 that i predict will be in Division 1 in 2025.

If the popular opinion is the Saints are going to cruise through this division they will get a rude shock when they head out to Bagster rd.

Stevens will be a massive in for Goodwood but people forget Salisbury North should've finished top 3 last year (after the minor round) if not for their administration issue, and look like they'll be better again next year. Agree, they'll be around the mark.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby stealthbomber » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:12 pm

At this time of the year the armchair experts are out in force....loving the 'bluster' from SNFC and such early confidence....wonder if they can maintain on/off field discipline to piece together the jigsaw.

No club will be assured of success at this point and come April when Kernas fires the start gun all clubs start at 50/50.
stealthbomber

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:48 pm

stealthbomber wrote:At this time of the year the armchair experts are out in force....loving the 'bluster' from SNFC and such early confidence....wonder if they can maintain on/off field discipline to piece together the jigsaw.

No club will be assured of success at this point and come April when Kernas fires the start gun all clubs start at 50/50.

I think i am the only one that has had any "Bluster" about SNFC apart from the Red magician formerly of Salisbury and now a Kookaburra affirming the idea that this may be a club on the up.

Just to be clear i am not with Salisbury North but merely a member of an opposition club and a fan who has the utmost respect for the club and its people.

I agree no-one is assured of success but if you think all clubs are 50/50 you are delusional. Some clubs are taking great measures and placing Coaching groups, recruits, structures, plans and committees in place that ensure they will have success far superiors to the clubs that are not performing their due diligence. If you think they are all 50/50 you are probably a part of a club about to be an also run.

If history has told us anything, by Feb/March we will have 3 of the top 5 locked in the top 2 divisions.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:10 am

wristwatcher wrote:
stealthbomber wrote:At this time of the year the armchair experts are out in force....loving the 'bluster' from SNFC and such early confidence....wonder if they can maintain on/off field discipline to piece together the jigsaw.

I think i am the only one that has had any "Bluster" about SNFC apart from the Red magician formerly of Salisbury and now a Kookaburra affirming the idea that this may be a club on the up.

Just to be clear i am not with Salisbury North but merely a member of an opposition club and a fan who has the utmost respect for the club and its people.

I agree no-one is assured of success but if you think all clubs are 50/50 you are delusional. Some clubs are taking great measures and placing Coaching groups, recruits, structures, plans and committees in place that ensure they will have success far superiors to the clubs that are not performing their due diligence. If you think they are all 50/50 you are probably a part of a club about to be an also run.

If history has told us anything, by Feb/March we will have 3 of the top 5 locked in the top 2 divisions.

Dont disagree, but what we are seeing more of now is clubs that go on these massive recruiting campaigns, snatch a flag but then see mass exodus and they became a yo-yo.

Not saying its right or wrong, i mean if you can grab one A Grade flag every 5-6 years but yo-yo the other years that such a bad thing. I guess each club is different.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:26 am

Yep fair call.

The only thing i would say its its a bit tougher to snatch a flag in one of the top 2 divisions.

At the end of the day the sustainable models created by GG, PNU, Glenunga, Brighton, TTG and Modbury ensure they don't bottom out but remain in the top 2 Divisions always around the mark. A few of those top end recruits sure can help though.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:00 pm

It's not easy to do

Have a look at PAOC last year
They were a bees knacker away from getting relegated & ended up in the GF
It wasn't for the lack of trying to find replacements. We just couldn't
Very difficult to replace 140 goals - we were 550 points down in attack from the previous year
They got Barto back for the 2nd half which made a difference - he was our top goal kicker :shock:

This year we have 2 new players + 115 goals

One slip and you're gone in the top 2 divisions ala Goodwood
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:00 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:It's not easy to do

Very difficult to replace 140 goals - we were 550 points down in attack from the previous year
They got Barto back for the 2nd half which made a difference - he was our top goal kicker :shock:

PNU 2021 to 2022 to 2023 also demonstrative.

One annus horribilis and you're bottom of the ladder getting relegated and even if you look at the scores from week to week in 2022 not much would have had to go right to stay up.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:38 pm

jo172 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:It's not easy to do

PNU 2021 to 2022 to 2023 also demonstrative.

One annus horribilis and you're bottom of the ladder getting relegated and even if you look at the scores from week to week in 2022 not much would have had to go right to stay up.

All i get out of this Jimbob number 2 is that someone had a horrible anus :lol:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Half Back Flanker » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:36 pm

jake the snake wrote:PHOS look to have lost abit of quality…

I'm hearing three PHOS boys heading to Wallaroo, what's going on down there??
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby bandar » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:38 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:
jake the snake wrote:PHOS look to have lost abit of quality…

I'm hearing three PHOS boys heading to Wallaroo, what's going on down there??

I know there are 3 that left a couple of years ago going to Wallaroo didn't play at PHOSC last season not sure if any others.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:47 pm

Now that we have come out the other side of Covid (I think) the return of the mass player movements to country leagues is back on and seemingly bigger than ever. Here's the big catch with what a city-based country player can earn. A player in 2024 can be paid 85c per KM for every KM over 100KM in the round trip for a game (up from 75c).

And to keep it simple the distance is calculated on the location of the home ground. Using Wallaroo as an example. That is a round trip of 322KM from Adelaide. So a player can be paid 222 @ 0.85 = $188 for travel that doesn't get counted in the Cap. So when you hear of a player getting $500 per game then it might only be $300 per game for salary cap purposes and the other $200 being the legal travel payment.

This to me is the biggest issue with the salary cap rules for us city clubs losing players to the country. And I don't think many city slicker footy people are aware of the generosity of the travel allowance - well you are now if you are reading this. This also means that a player could just be receiving a tidy amount for travel without getting paid a cent to actually pay. The whole travel thing is even more curious when you consider that most city based players car pool or even get mini bussed to games.

Again using Wallaroo as an example. If they have 10 players travelling from the city, that's $1880 per week in addition to the $3275 per week Salary Cap they can quite lawfully pay. It is true that a city club that apply travel allowance to a country based person to play in the city but that's pretty rare.

This puts into some perspective that many country clubs accused of paying overs are probably quite legal due to the benefits of the travel allowance. I know it's designed to help keep country clubs and leagues going and my appreciation of the importance of footy to country towns has changed from a "stuff em" attitude some years back, but I think this is a significant free kick to leagues beyond the closer country areas.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Hector » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Now that we have come out the other side of Covid (I think) the return of the mass player movements to country leagues is back on and seemingly bigger than ever. Here's the big catch with what a city-based country player can earn. A player in 2024 can be paid 85c per KM for every KM over 100KM in the round trip for a game (up from 75c).

And to keep it simple the distance is calculated on the location of the home ground. Using Wallaroo as an example. That is a round trip of 322KM from Adelaide. So a player can be paid 222 @ 0.85 = $188 for travel that doesn't get counted in the Cap. So when you hear of a player getting $500 per game then it might only be $300 per game for salary cap purposes and the other $200 being the legal travel payment.

This to me is the biggest issue with the salary cap rules for us city clubs losing players to the country. And I don't think many city slicker footy people are aware of the generosity of the travel allowance - well you are now if you are reading this. This also means that a player could just be receiving a tidy amount for travel without getting paid a cent to actually pay. The whole travel thing is even more curious when you consider that most city based players car pool or even get mini bussed to games.

Again using Wallaroo as an example. If they have 10 players travelling from the city, that's $1880 per week in addition to the $3275 per week Salary Cap they can quite lawfully pay. It is true that a city club that apply travel allowance to a country based person to play in the city but that's pretty rare.

This puts into some perspective that many country clubs accused of paying overs are probably quite legal due to the benefits of the travel allowance. I know it's designed to help keep country clubs and leagues going and my appreciation of the importance of footy to country towns has changed from a "stuff em" attitude some years back, but I think this is a significant free kick to leagues beyond the closer country areas.

Quite interesting, thankyou DtH. What about those that fly? I know some that fly to KI, Mt Gambier etc. Are they included in the travel allowance?
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 pm

By road there is a max of $500 so any KM payment that exceeds $500 - the excess counts towards that players match payment for the salary cap. Probably just as simple to say to a bloke that we won’t pay you more than $500 even if the round trip potentially entitles you to more. Of course a club that can’t afford full travel allowance on top of full cap doesn’t have to pay the full or any allowance no different than a club not paying the full cap on match payments.

Flights are the same. $500 per player per match for cost of flight. Any excess over that has to go towards the match payment. With flights, clubs must keep receipts of flight costs for auditing purposes. But you at least can’t double dip with travel for flight and road. For example if you fly a bloke from Melbourne at a cost of $200 and he then has to head off to play for Crystal Brook he can’t also get the KM allowance even if it all comes in under $500.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby jo172 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 am

Also the flight is an actual expense incurred, such that it's the travel allowance largely being used for it's notional purpose, as opposed to all getting in the same mini bus.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby ConAir » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:13 am

Down the Hill wrote:By road there is a max of $500 so any KM payment that exceeds $500 - the excess counts towards that players match payment for the salary cap. Probably just as simple to say to a bloke that we won’t pay you more than $500 even if the round trip potentially entitles you to more. Of course a club that can’t afford full travel allowance on top of full cap doesn’t have to pay the full or any allowance no different than a club not paying the full cap on match payments.

Flights are the same. $500 per player per match for cost of flight. Any excess over that has to go towards the match payment. With flights, clubs must keep receipts of flight costs for auditing purposes. But you at least can’t double dip with travel for flight and road. For example if you fly a bloke from Melbourne at a cost of $200 and he then has to head off to play for Crystal Brook he can’t also get the KM allowance even if it all comes in under $500.

What if the club had a "car" that could be used for use?
ConAir
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Imperial

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:25 am

Here is the full road travel provision. It stops short of bringing into question the actual method of getting to the game. The norm for multiple travelling players is car pooling of 3 or 4 blokes because they are generally good mates anyway. Hardly justifies each getting the full allowance but the rules don't prevent it. It they use a car or Tarago etc. owned by the club then it doesn't seem to matter one iota. I suppose me bringing this topic up is that it does dispel some of the myths about some country clubs breaching the rules because travel allowance inflates what blokes can be legitimately paid. But it also highlights that the intent of the 'level playing field' by having the TPP rules is a little flimsy when you take into account the travel allowance factor.

4.5 Travel
No travel payments can be made where a player travels less than 100 km round trip to their playing Club. Travel Payments can be paid at a rate of $0.85 per kilometre for each kilometre travelled in excess of 100 km round trip from the Player’s residence to and from their playing Club to a maximum amount of $500.00 per Player for each Match. If travel is over $500 for an individual player, then the difference between $500 and the higher amount must be included in the players individual payment and the weekly cap of $3.275. The calculation of travelling distance will be determined by the ‘Cents per kilometre method’ prescribed by the ATO on their website https://www.ato.gov.au/ or any other distance calculator notified by the Committee from time to time. Each Affiliated League Club must nominate its Home Ground to be used for the purposes of any calculation under this Clause. If a Player resides within 20kms of the Adelaide GPO then for the purposes of any calculation under this Clause, the Player’s residence shall be deemed to be the Adelaide GPO.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:37 pm

When we trained with Southern Eagles they had a mini bus for 10 or so players.

Round trip to Warooka is 470km. 370 x0.85 = $314.50 per player.

That’s about $50 per hour travelling time if you’re not paying for petrol. If you’re driving up yourself the allowance is fair enough. If you’re going up for training occasionally it’s costing you.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:When we trained with Southern Eagles they had a mini bus for 10 or so players.

Round trip to Warooka is 470km. 370 x0.85 = $314.50 per player.

That’s about $50 per hour travelling time if you’re not paying for petrol. If you’re driving up yourself the allowance is fair enough. If you’re going up for training occasionally it’s costing you.

Many country clubs also have 'locals' whose live in the city for uni, work etc and have a city based address therefore the travel allowance assists ensuring they come back to play for their home clubs.

Have heard rumours that many clubs in country leagues will play homegrown b graders who live in the city the travel allowance to ensure they remain playing for the club and that the club can field 2 sides.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League