Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby retired60 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:55 pm

Tax Ruling 1999/77 Section 32 says inter alia, that income received that has the complexion of hobby income is not assessable income. AdFL umpires do not get taxed.
retired60

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:00 pm

Trader wrote:
The hobby rule used to be capped at $3k.
I think they changed that now, and it's more about the intent, it's wishy washy.
I think there is some line about if you're doing it for enjoyment (and happen to get money), then it's a hobby, but if you're doing it for the cash, then its clearly taxable.

I think they changed the rules when the 'gig' economy started to take off. Think Uber, airbnb, webcaming, etc. These are 'casual' forms of income, but all done for the purpose of earning money, more than the enjoyment of the activity.

I think sport umpiring is still a grey area.
I suspect if you're doing one game once a week, and paying tax on a regular job, then no worries.

If you're doing 4 games a weekend, and have no other source of income (or only minimal), then they'd be far more likely to rule it as your job and want you to pay tax on it.

*this is not financial advice and you should seek out an expert opinion*

I know blokes that do 5 0r 6 games a weekend and earn over $700 for it, I've never known anyone to pay tax on it, I used to smash out heaps of games over a weekend for 3 different leagues, they don't tax it because you could then claim petrol, laundry, shoes etc.

Average Joe wouldn't bother doing it they you were taxed, I still do 3 games most Saturday's in a country league, the money isn't great but I do it to help them out, stop being fat and it stops me from having a beer and a punt until 3pm.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7936 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Trader wrote:
The hobby rule used to be capped at $3k.
I think they changed that now, and it's more about the intent, it's wishy washy.
I think there is some line about if you're doing it for enjoyment (and happen to get money), then it's a hobby, but if you're doing it for the cash, then its clearly taxable.

I think they changed the rules when the 'gig' economy started to take off. Think Uber, airbnb, webcaming, etc. These are 'casual' forms of income, but all done for the purpose of earning money, more than the enjoyment of the activity.

I think sport umpiring is still a grey area.
I suspect if you're doing one game once a week, and paying tax on a regular job, then no worries.

If you're doing 4 games a weekend, and have no other source of income (or only minimal), then they'd be far more likely to rule it as your job and want you to pay tax on it.

*this is not financial advice and you should seek out an expert opinion*

I know blokes that do 5 0r 6 games a weekend and earn over $700 for it, I've never known anyone to pay tax on it, I used to smash out heaps of games over a weekend for 3 different leagues, they don't tax it because you could then claim petrol, laundry, shoes etc.

Average Joe wouldn't bother doing it they you were taxed, I still do 3 games most Saturday's in a country league, the money isn't great but I do it to help them out, stop being fat and it stops me from having a beer and a punt until 3pm.

If anyone is getting taxed on it they are either silly enough to be doing their own tax or they seriously need to find a new accountant pronto.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 746 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:44 pm

They are running ads on reddit

swwwtttt.JPG
swwwtttt.JPG (125.85 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 1445 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Chappy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:02 pm

Armchair expert wrote:They are running ads on reddit

swwwtttt.JPG

Probably more spent on the advertising it, than what has been pledged on the go fund me.
Chappy
Rookie

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:48 pm

"fight for justice" :shock:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:13 pm

Gaza score today

$3,412 (+$20 :partyman: )
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:46 pm

Seriously though, even if Gaza miraculously get themselves out of this.. by the time they do, will they even have enough players to field two sides?!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4016 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:04 am

$3,537............
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:04 pm

$3,537
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:09 pm

Could be a good ploy.

Not being able to raise money to defend yourself against salary cap breaches could be circumstantial evidence that no breaches occurred
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:01 pm

jo172 wrote:Could be a good ploy.

Not being able to raise money to defend yourself against salary cap breaches could be circumstantial evidence that no breaches occurred

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Fricky » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:56 am

Gaza Football Club appoints Mark Kamenic as A Grade coach
A local footy club has signed a new head coach for season 2024 and is confident it will play on next year as it prepares to appeal a record punishment for years of alleged salary cap breaches.

A local SA footy club has signed a new coach as it prepares an appeal of a record fine handed down for years of alleged salary cap breaches.

Mark Kamenic has signed as coach of division four Adelaide Footy League club Gaza ahead of next season.

The club, which has been relegated twice in two years, is currently in the process of appealing a $380,000 fine and a number of suspensions of officials for alleged salary cap breaches dating back to 2018.

The punishment was handed down by SANFL in September after a lengthy investigation.

“I sat down with the club and they were very honest with me and really confident they will be going ahead in 2024,” Kamenic said.

“I’m taking their word for it but at the same time I’m not really focused on that right now, I’m focused on where we’re at player wise and staff wise and what we are going to be as a team moving forward.”

Kamenic has 30 years of experience in coaching and official roles, most recently taking Payneham Norwood Union’s reserves side to a grand final.

He said he could not pass up the opportunity to take on another A Grade role after a successful B Grade season.

“Coming out of Payneham I feel I know what it takes to turn a team around,” he said.

“We had a young team and while we lost the grand final by a point to Golden Grove it was a big turnaround after losing to them by 84 points earlier in the year.

“I’ve got no expectations to turn Gaza around quickly but I know what hard work and togetherness can bring to a club and to a team.”

Kamenic also said developing the youth while holding on to experienced players would be the key to any future success.

“We’ve got a good group of youngsters and some experienced heads so we want to build on that nucleus.

“I also want to help bring some stability to the club and keep people here on and off the field for a number of years.

“There is optimism and good vibes at Gaza at the moment and we’re going to improve on it.”

On top of its record fine, Gaza received a reduction in player and premiership points and club president Don Rosella received a 10-year suspension from holding any official role with a SANFL-affiliated club, while two other officials received three years each.

The club has since launched an appeal of the fine and set up a GoFundMe as it attempts to cover $30,000 in legal costs.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:59 am

Fricky wrote:“Coming out of Payneham I feel I know what it takes to turn a team around,” he said.

“I’ve got no expectations to turn Gaza around quickly but I know what hard work and togetherness can bring to a club and to a team.”

Pretty rich coming from a guy who walked out on his last A grade role before the season started because he deemed it in the too hard basket.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Fricky wrote:“Coming out of Payneham I feel I know what it takes to turn a team around,” he said.

Pretty rich coming from a guy who walked out on his last A grade role before the season started because he deemed it in the too hard basket.

And ‘turning around a Reserves team at PNU’ one that played in the 2021 Div one reserves Grand Final :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Fricky » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am

I don't like throwing stones but to say this having now been a coach at four clubs over three years is a bit of a stretch

"I also want to help bring some stability to the club "
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby The Bedge » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:30 am

Best of luck to him, and hope he can do a reasonable job.. but you do open yourself up when you go out and make comments.

I would've thought given the predicament Gaza are in, instead of trying to put a positive PR spin on it, just keep quiet, head down bum up and get to work.

Anyway, each to their own.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:07 pm

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby bubba love » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:07 am

This is getting silly
bubba love
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Mallee Park

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:15 am

bubba love wrote:This is getting silly

I guess thats the problem. The punishment is so hefty it shut the doors stuff. Gaza have zero choice but to fight the case.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5599 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League