The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:34 pm

whybother wrote:Interestingly now apparently West Coast have demanded concessions from the WAFL or they will go and play in the VFL

Long way to fly from WA to Qld for a reserves match

I think I recall years ago reading they’d play the seconds team the league team is facing . So if west coast is playing Brisbane league and seconds will face each other.
However when i read that years ago it referred to Port and Adelaide
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:09 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
whybother wrote:Interestingly now apparently West Coast have demanded concessions from the WAFL or they will go and play in the VFL

I think I recall years ago reading they’d play the seconds team the league team is facing . So if west coast is playing Brisbane league and seconds will face each other.
The VFL is currently a mess. VFL games are at different venues to the AFL side plays mostly and can be playing at same time slot or overlapping. Also a very uneven fixture and weird byes thanks to the hotch potch draw.
Oh, the standard is garbage too
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

The VFL is currently a mess. VFL games are at different venues to the AFL side plays mostly and can be playing at same time slot or overlapping. Also a very uneven fixture and weird byes thanks to the hotch potch draw.
Oh, the standard is garbage too

What I posted I read along time ago
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby topshelf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:54 pm

So what happens if we get what we want and the crows and power go play in the afl/vfl reserves comp. What sort of restriction would we be able to be put on them from recruiting the best players in the SANFL as top ups? Seems like even though we have semi control over them now they're able to bend the rules to suit. I'd imagine it would be hard for the SANFL to have any say in it if they're not playing in our league. Does anyone know about the salary cap / recruiting restrictions for current reserves sides that play in the vfl reserves comp?
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:30 pm

topshelf wrote:So what happens if we get what we want and the crows and power go play in the afl/vfl reserves comp. What sort of restriction would we be able to be put on them from recruiting the best players in the SANFL as top ups? Seems like even though we have semi control over them now they're able to bend the rules to suit. I'd imagine it would be hard for the SANFL to have any say in it if they're not playing in our league. Does anyone know about the salary cap / recruiting restrictions for current reserves sides that play in the vfl reserves comp?

Not sure too much will change. VFL have had top up players for years and apart from a handful of players leavign the SANFL here and there it has had no major effect. It doesnt really seem that attractive proposition to be a top up as we've seen via Port/Crows.

How many players have been drafted from the SANFL by crows /port over the last decade. As oppose to how many top up players have been drafted ??

We would have 20-30 players leave the vfl system to play in the sanfl every year. I cant see Port/crows joining the league makign a huge difference tbh/.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:56 pm

topshelf wrote:So what happens if we get what we want and the crows and power go play in the afl/vfl reserves comp. What sort of restriction would we be able to be put on them from recruiting the best players in the SANFL as top ups? Seems like even though we have semi control over them now they're able to bend the rules to suit. I'd imagine it would be hard for the SANFL to have any say in it if they're not playing in our league. Does anyone know about the salary cap / recruiting restrictions for current reserves sides that play in the vfl reserves comp?

LMAO!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:13 pm

topshelf wrote: Does anyone know about the salary cap / recruiting restrictions for current reserves sides that play in the vfl reserves comp?

There is no VFL Reserves, it got canned about five years ago, maybe more. It is AFL teams then VFL teams.

Not sure if you mean the non-aligned VFL clubs who play in the VFL competition against the AFL reserves sides.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby topshelf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:51 pm

am Bays wrote:
topshelf wrote: Does anyone know about the salary cap / recruiting restrictions for current reserves sides that play in the vfl reserves comp?

There is no VFL Reserves, it got canned about five years ago, maybe more. It is AFL teams then VFL teams.

Not sure if you mean the non-aligned VFL clubs who play in the VFL competition against the AFL reserves sides.

I meant the current AFL reserves teams playing in the VFL comp. Do they have a salary cap for players not on the AFL list, list sizes, etc?
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 pm

topshelf wrote:
am Bays wrote:

I meant the current AFL reserves teams playing in the VFL comp. Do they have a salary cap for players not on the AFL list, list sizes, etc?
Salary cap of $110k for for AFL reserves teams. There are some other rules around player recruitment that seems to change yearly. It’s really pretty much a development comp of pretty average standard and winning is secondary to development and structure which is fair enough but makes it a poor spectator times
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:13 am

Jim05 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Salary cap of $110k for for AFL reserves teams. There are some other rules around player recruitment that seems to change yearly. It’s really pretty much a development comp of pretty average standard and winning is secondary to development and structure which is fair enough but makes it a poor spectator times

Exactly Jim05 watching these games can be awful if the seconds sides are full of AFL listed players they normally totally destroy the other teams . If they have more top up players the SANFL side will normally win . Then mostly with Port ( crows May do it soon ) they get a licence to play future son and father draft players they’ve done it with eagles players whose dads have played for port . They actually pay a fee to the SANFL club that the player comes from . Then the lad returns to his SANFL side .
Fan base wise neither AFL seconds teams have a great fan base . Just think how far oval ave is from Alberton oval to far for port fans lol .
Ok crows seconds draws lots of teenage fan girls not much else
And port fans who do attend yeah loved hearing a few maybe 2 years ago . This port fan mouthing off his team got destroyed and hearing every few minutes the ball was near us . We will draft that player and that player he’s to fat we will draft your entire team . All the players this guy selected had been delisted by Port so he didn’t know his AFL side very well either
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby sib » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:43 pm

So looking like AFL reserves for 2025

There would need to be either extended squads or top ups so lots of players could from the SANFL
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:18 pm

sib wrote:So looking like AFL reserves for 2025

There would need to be either extended squads or top ups so lots of players could from the SANFL

Halves the teams you follow…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby UK Fan » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:47 pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/31/ ... -reserves/

Port in the SANFL died in 2013 lbh.

What a surprise Koch willing to sell out 36 flags for some apparent development issue.

Bring on an 8 team comp

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:28 am

No one blames the AFL clubs for wanting control of their reserves players all in one side. Is kind of ironic however that both clubs won their flags under the previous system despite the victorian clubs still having quasi reserves sides back then.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:29 am

The two clubs won 3 day and 3 night premierships with the old system

Under the new system the only thing they won was a wooden spoon

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:42 am

UK Fan wrote:https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/31/this-is-real-now-port-adelaide-leading-the-push-for-national-reserves/

Port in the SANFL died in 2013 lbh.

What a surprise Koch willing to sell out 36 flags for some apparent development issue.

Bring on an 8 team comp

=D> =D> :supz: :supz:
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm

Two ideas below for SANFL senior mens football, based on either remaining a structured pathway to the AFL and holding hands with them moving forward, relying on the AFL subsidising player payments and structuring the AFL Reserves as a development competition, or being properly independent. Either way, both revolve around no AFL clubs in the SANFL which is what it should be.

Idea 1

The AFL Reserves should be an extension of the U18 program.

Reduce main list sizes to 32, with 24 Rookie list/top up players under 21 to fill the AFL Reserves side.

Each club picks 8-10 players per year from their own state (Gold Coast gets QLD & NT and GWS gets NSW & ACT) out of the U18 programs on 3 year scholarships, where they train professionally, part-time, but also incorporate a degree/TAFE course/trade as part of it. They maintain, or are also aligned, with a State League club during this time as well and if not picked for AFL or AFL Reserves, can play in the State League or Reserves side.

These young players then get all the support an AFL club can offer in setting them up both within football and for a career outside of playing football, whilst also being connected to a State League club where there is a pathway back to the AFL, if they don't get upgraded to a main list spot during their three year scholarship.

With the reduction of list sizes to 32, that would free up around $37 million dollars that would otherwise have been spent on the bottom 12 players on a list at each AFL club (based on 2027 figures from this latest deal).

Instead, that could be redistributed to the four 2nd tier competitions: 19 AFL Reserves teams, the 10 VFL teams, the 9 standalone WAFL teams and the 8 standalone SANFL teams. A salary cap of $800k, which would supplement a part time footballers income and allow them to dedicate the required time and commitment to maintain a level that would allow them to step in to AFL football, as the players do now. It would also be incentive to play state league instead of ammos/country level as the pay gap would be greater than what it is now.

This would keep the SANFL, VFL and WAFL as semi-professional leagues, with a support base for players in and out of the AFL system.

Idea 2

The alternative idea is, the AFL say "f you" to the SANFL, as they always have, then in my opinion, the SANFL should forget about trying to be the next best level of competition outside the AFL and instead focus on crowning the best club in South Australia. Drop back to a sustainable, amateur level, and open up the TS Hill Cup to be achievable to be won by every club in the state and make the SANFL Grand Final a huge event at Adelaide Oval every October long weekend.

Create 4 elite underage programs separate to that of the SANFL clubs, which feed in to the State underage system culminating in the U18 State Championships and being drafted. This looks after the very best junior footballers from all over the state and the population per team are more aligned with those of the NAB Cup country sides.

The SANFL club juniors join in with the "SANFL Juniors" competition currently in place. Scrap all zones including country zones.

All leagues outside of the SANFL have their Grand Final day 6 weekends prior to the October long weekend. Scrap representative football at all senior levels. All premiers from every country league and Adel Footy League Div 1 contest a knockout competition over 5 weekends, culminating in the top 2 teams playing off on SANFL Grand Final Day to crown the Premiers Cup and gain promotion to the SANFL competition.

For the first 4 years, add the Premiers Cup winner to the SANFL competition until the competition reaches 12 teams (and 22 Rounds plus finals). Each year after that, the wooden spooner gets relegated for the winner of the Premiers Cup.

It might be that an existing club, a merged club or a new club is created in a city like Mount Gambier to be that top level club for people in the area to play for at a higher level, while the remaining clubs compete like they always have, meanwhile attracting top talent from south-western Victoria as well. Maybe a Tuna fisherman at Port Lincoln or a miner out of the Iron Triangle can offer attractive incentives for young men to play top level football and tee them up with some jobs that could set them up for the future. Perhaps a club like Golden Grove continue on their upward trajectory and become that representative of the north-eastern suburbs or Prince Alfred OC come up to play against Sturt and their supporters can hobnob together on a Saturday afternoon.

The point being, that the SANFL re-purposes itself as the pinnacle of grassroots level football in this state as opposed to being a stepping stone to professional football. I think this would create greater public interest and commercial support.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Idea 3 - The crowserves and powerserves leave and the SANFL continues on as an 8 team competition.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Vamos » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:05 pm

Got about 12 months to get up to 500 pages, go..
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:18 pm

Port fans have attacked me on Facebook for me saying many SANFL fans on footy forums want them gone
I’m getting told the comp will fold
Told off for saying that
It’s fun times when their mouth piece wants to leave the comp
MJP1993
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL