Membership numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Membership numbers

Postby topshelf » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:05 pm

Does anyone know the recent membership numbers for each club? I was wondering what the numbers are these days.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Membership numbers

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:07 pm

North had 2060 for 2023 according to their online tally.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:52 pm

119 is a number I keep hearing at Port Adelaide. ;)
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby am Bays » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Not sure of exact numbers but roughly 2000 at the Bays
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:04 pm

South Adelaide, total memberships..approx 1200.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby MannyK » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Norwood 2805
MannyK

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby whybother » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Eagles had 2283 for 2022. I hope they can maintain this number in light of poor results.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby topshelf » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. Numbers seem well down from years gone by, I think in 2008/9 we had close to 4k. Hope we (the league) can find a way to appeal to the younger generations. I had a look at the social media accounts of each club online and did a quick tally and it was surprising how many South had. Everyone else had roughly what you'd expect. Are South a sleeping giant perhaps?
topshelf
Rookie

Postby Spargo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:11 pm

topshelf wrote:Are South a sleeping giant perhaps?

@-)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby robranisgod » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:02 pm

topshelf wrote:Thanks for the replies. Numbers seem well down from years gone by, I think in 2008/9 we had close to 4k. Hope we (the league) can find a way to appeal to the younger generations. I had a look at the social media accounts of each club online and did a quick tally and it was surprising how many South had. Everyone else had roughly what you'd expect. Are South a sleeping giant perhaps?

The Numbers are what have been pretty much standard for many years, probably decades. I can remember explaining many years ago that different clubs have different methods of counting members. Some count players, trainers and coaches as members and one club used to even count juniors.
I don't know what social media you are referring to, but South and West as expected have the least Facebook followers.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 am

robranisgod wrote:
topshelf wrote:Thanks for the replies. Numbers seem well down from years gone by, I think in 2008/9 we had close to 4k. Hope we (the league) can find a way to appeal to the younger generations. I had a look at the social media accounts of each club online and did a quick tally and it was surprising how many South had. Everyone else had roughly what you'd expect. Are South a sleeping giant perhaps?

The Numbers are what have been pretty much standard for many years, probably decades. I can remember explaining many years ago that different clubs have different methods of counting members. Some count players, trainers and coaches as members and one club used to even count juniors.
I don't know what social media you are referring to, but South and West as expected have the least Facebook followers.

I’m an eagles fan we have low numbers . On Facebook I have eagles and west fans as Facebook friends .
So at least 2 west people are in Facebook lol and ones on Twitter to
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby JK » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:13 pm

robranisgod wrote:

A mate recently said to me that attendance numbers in SA are about the same as they always were, which I initially thought odd.

He explained that if you add the total SANFL figures each week + the AFL Adelaide Oval figure, pretty much the same numbers are still in attendance, which I'd think is around the mark. Issue obviously is the AFL game is providing around %80+ of the numbers, and likewise they'd swallow up most of the memberships too. Around 20 years ago I kept trying to suggest to the people in the right places, SANFL clubs should look at partnering with the local AFL clubs to make sure they don't miss out entirely, ie, a Bays + Crows fan could have purchased a dual membership from either of those clubs that covered them for both.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby topshelf » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:45 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Total social media followers for each SANFL club.

Club - FB - IG - Twitter/X

Norwood - 23k - 13.3k - 5.3k
Sturt - 23k - 10.4k - 3.3k
Glenelg - 20k - 10.6k - 4.1k
Centrals - 19k - 6k - 2.5k
South - 13k - 10.3k - 3.2k
North - 15k - 7.7k - 3.3k
West - 12k - 7k - 3k
Eagles - 10k - 7.6k - 2.9k

As i said before though our numbers are well down compared to that 2008-2010 period for us so yep over ten years ago when we would be pusing 3k or more back then. Losing 500 members is a big deal when membership numbers are that low to being with, take into consideration your point but after watching SANFL games since covid it seems crowd numbers are slowly decreasing with an ageing supporter base.
topshelf
Rookie

Postby mots02 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:20 pm

topshelf wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

West - 12k - 7k - 3k

As i said before though our numbers are well down compared to that 2008-2010 period for us so yep over ten years ago when we would be pusing 3k or more back then. Losing 500 members is a big deal when membership numbers are that low to being with, take into consideration your point but after watching SANFL games since covid it seems crowd numbers are slowly decreasing with an ageing supporter base.

Well that's sold it for me.

With 10.4k insta followers, the Panthers are definitely the sleeping giant - in hibernation since 1964.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby topshelf » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:35 pm

mots02 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

West - 12k - 7k - 3k

Well that's sold it for me.

With 10.4k insta followers, the Panthers are definitely the sleeping giant - in hibernation since 1964.

Just found it interesting the social media totals they have in general especially with the lack of success they’ve had for a very long time as you pointed out. Might mean nothing or maybe fudged numbers so I thought I’d pose the question. No need to have a cry about it, not like you recently lost a grand final or anything ;)
topshelf
Rookie

Postby DOC » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:32 pm

What is this talk about lack of success for South..

Our club won a premiership this year, and 2021, and 2019, and 2018. We have a new cupboard coming.

People conflate the mens senior team with the club. Common mistake.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby topshelf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:56 pm

DOC wrote:What is this talk about lack of success for South..

Our club won a premiership this year, and 2021, and 2019, and 2018. We have a new cupboard coming.

People conflate the mens senior team with the club. Common mistake.

Fair point, maybe that's one of the reasons why your numbers are pretty good online.
topshelf
Rookie

Board index   Football  SANFL