Brownlow 23 - who wins it

Talk on the national game

Re: Brownlow 23 - who wins it

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:32 pm

another grub wrote:13 possessions, 1 mark, 1 tackle . 34 AFL pts. = 3 votes. Is next level ridiculous though MT :toimonster:

That's how good his possessions are. Star.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:33 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Coaches votes and Brownlow both had the same top 6 players but in different orders, not like they were completely off the mark.

Betting agencies were much the same.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:19 pm

another grub wrote:Its not as if its a split second 50/50 high tackle decision. These 4 blokes sit down over a lemonade after the game( I presume they look at stats sheet) and they came up with JHF ???? Did they think he was Bergman?

Bergman had a poor game that day, that was my first thought, I often got them mixed up, but at least I could blame alcohol.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:21 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Great effort by Neale to win 2 Brownlows.
Would anyone have him in their top 5 current best players?
I’d struggle to get him in my top 10

He’d make mine
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:37 pm

The media, coaches, supporters all get to see the stats during & post match to decipher who was best. The umpires don’t. Then people are outraged when the umpires seemingly get some voting wrong. What do people expect? We are setting them up to fail.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MW » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Spargo wrote:The media, coaches, supporters all get to see the stats during & post match to decipher who was best. The umpires don’t. Then people are outraged when the umpires seemingly get some voting wrong. What do people expect? We are setting them up to fail.

On the other hand, i think looking at the stats will mean the award will only be given to the top stats players, and will take away some votes to key defenders and key forwards.
It's broken, but looking at the stats won't fix it IMO unless they dive into disposal efficiency etc
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:45 pm

MW wrote:
Spargo wrote:The media, coaches, supporters all get to see the stats during & post match to decipher who was best. The umpires don’t. Then people are outraged when the umpires seemingly get some voting wrong. What do people expect? We are setting them up to fail.

On the other hand, i think looking at the stats will mean the award will only be given to the top stats players, and will take away some votes to key defenders and key forwards.
It's broken, but looking at the stats won't fix it IMO unless they dive into disposal efficiency etc

It’s the Brownlow Medal, it’s selected by the umpires, always has been and always should be.

There are many other awards to be won throughout the industry based on opinion, wherever people rank the validity is up to the individual.

Well done Lachie Neale, there were about 5 players that were seemingly “robbed”, if you get the ball enough, show great sportsmanship and leadership along with your side winning a large amount of games, you are going to give yourself every opportunity to win the award.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:

It’s the Brownlow Medal, it’s selected by the umpires, always has been and always should be.

There are many other awards to be won throughout the industry based on opinion, wherever people rank the validity is up to the individual.

Well done Lachie Neale, there were about 5 players that were seemingly “robbed”, if you get the ball enough, show great sportsmanship and leadership along with your side winning a large amount of games, you are going to give yourself every opportunity to win the award.

I completely agree. The only ones outraged are the media, who have 'voted' for their own award during the year and they disagree with the votes or voting system. The voting system for the Brownlow is not 'wrong' it's just different. Accept it for what it is and move on.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 pm

We all know umpires can get it wrong .....it's how wrong!
It could, for some, open up questions of integrity in the voting.
We've already had one umpire cop his whack for being dishonest.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:29 pm

The worst thing about Fantasy footy etc is that people think the more stats = the better the player is. Completely wrong, the best players on the ground are the ones that had the biggest influence on the games result, racking up non damaging disposals are very misleading if relying on stats alone.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:15 am

Dutchy wrote:The worst thing about Fantasy footy etc is that people think the more stats = the better the player is. Completely wrong, the best players on the ground are the ones that had the biggest influence on the games result, racking up non damaging disposals are very misleading if relying on stats alone.

That's why JHF can get 3 votes with 13 touches. Absolutely bang on mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:18 am

A newly befriended neighbor previously worked for GWS and the AFL, he's got some people who works at Sportsbet in analytics.

Their Brownlow calculations are done two fold. They do a 54321 count in games to verify the 321 counts they do in games and, typically, come out with differing results. Probably saw last week AFL.com was rating Neale a huge chance.

The 54321 count had Petracca from Neale and Butters

The 321 count had Neale from Petracca, Butters and Daicos
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Sharksta » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:21 am

Yes AFL.com.au had predicted the win to Neale in the lead up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:12 pm

You don't need to change the award, just reconsider it's standing against others.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL