Ashes 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes 2023

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:21 am

2 from 2 trying to pick the team the selectors will go with.

IMO the third test side will be....

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Boland
Murphy

Hazelwood played two tests on returning from injury surely won't be expected to now play back to back tests. Whilst not at his absolute best Boland is still ahead of Neser. Selectors to pick a genuine spinner.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:01 am

Corona Man wrote:
whufc wrote:
locky801 wrote:English reporter: "Is there such a thing, or do you believe in such a thing as the 'Spirit of Cricket'?"
Pat Cummins: "Yep."
English reporter: "Do you think after Bairstow's dismissal, which was within the letter of the law - no disputing that, but are we in danger of seeing 'mankads' or underarm bowling later on in this series?"
Pat Cummins: "It depends on how flat the wickets get, it might be an option to turn to."

Thats the thing.....there is no spirit of cricket anymore and to be honest nearly all professional sports have lost their 'spirit' or intention.

No team is better than the other, look at how the aussies carried on with the Starc catch despite the rule being clear that it wasnt a catch. You can bet your bottom $$$ if we had lost that test it would be our cricketers whinging about the Starc decision and the 'spirit of the game'

BTW i do believe there is a place for the spirit of cricket......imo some of the rules just need a little retweak to be worded more appropriately to the intention of the rules given the $$$$$ in cricket now and the cutthroat nature of the sport.

In Bairstows case he clearly walked out his crease, we can debate the why he did that all day long but he clearly walked out the crease. What we dont want is keepers trying for them stumpings and blokes looking for mankads that are mm's in it. Last thing we want to watch is reviews where the third umpire is deciphering between mili seconds of an umpire saying 'over' and where the batsmen back heel is located at that point.

What over will it be when we see Bairstow have his first throw at the stumps in the next test.....?

The first over. Without a doubt.

You can strongly argue that it’s not in the spirit of cricket to tell ground staff to prepare flat, lifeless wickets (When that’s completely not the case historically).

If they are still throwing down wickets and mankading as the series goes on then good luck to them as they clearly aren’t focusing on the game - If that’s the case they will get blown out of the water. Again, the English cricketers and the media are just getting sucked in and feeding their emotions. The more they carry on the worse the results will be. Last series they carried on with Steve Smith and look how that ended up…. Australia don’t mind playing the villain and these idiots don’t get it…
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:17 am

Is everyone else feeling the same joy as me with all these salty as **** poms having a regular sook?
Geoffrey Boycott of all people arcing up.
That's made my morning. :D :D
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:18 am

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:Nah there is a spirit of cricket it’s just not this fanciful notion of artificial fairness and behaviours of an idealised 19th century playing fields of Gentlemanly England

It’s about playing within the laws of the game and accepting the umpires decision

That to me is the spirit of cricket in a nutshell.

That and having a beer after the game with your opponent win lose or draw to say well played

This one is long gone..... especially accepting the umpires decision, that has pretty much gone out the window since we introduced reviews. Look at the big nations, the carry on from Australia, England and India is terrible when stuff doesn't go there way.

Every country has been guilty of deliberating playing outside the laws of the game in modern cricket, Australia sandpapergate, England lollies etc.

But it is kind of my point. The rules need some tweaking with understanding in modern cricket that every inch will be taken if the rule isnt completely black or white.

England have spent the whole week trying to be the moral spirit of cricket good guys but you can guarantee whether in jest or not that Bairstow will have a crack at the stumps at some point this test.

I dont necessarily disagree with that but I think that's what the spirit is, accepting the umpires decision and it's easy to do. You don't have to like it, you can respectfully ask questions like Cummins did after Starc's catch was ruled not out but ultimately that's what you have to do.

And at test level if the umpire makes a mistake after you've burned your reviews like Broad at Trent Bridge in 2013 and Stokes at Headingly in 2019 well that the fieldings teams issue not the umpires.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:25 am

If Lyon was bowling, Bairstow wouldn't have gone for a walk.

All this will do is stir up the poms,
expect them to come out all fire and brimstone now,
this next test will be very hard for us to win.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby MW » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:31 am

gazzamagoo wrote:If Lyon was bowling, Bairstow wouldn't have gone for a walk.

Can't play like you're angry for 5 days. Will work in our favour i reckon. Sure they will have sessions where they get the crowd up and dominate, but over 5 days can't sustain it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:33 am

Both tests could have gone either way but we played our best when it mattered.
I can see the Poms winning the 3rd test though as they’re good side and will want to keep the ashes alive here.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:40 am

Seriously, how good is test cricket?!?!?! Saying that, i am sick to death of the saying "spirit of cricket". Barstow was out. Mankad if the batsmen are leaving the crease and you aren't obliged to walk. If players want to push the boundaries, be grown up enough to accept the consequences
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:42 am

amber_fluid wrote:Both tests could have gone either way but we played our best when it mattered.
I can see the Poms winning the 3rd test though as they’re good side and will want to keep the ashes alive here.

First test I agree, the 2nd Test England were always a fair bit behind after sending us in and letting us put on 400+. That’s still the biggest reason they lost that Test as we put on probably 100 more than you’d expect as a worst case scenario when sending any side in. I’m shocked there has been nothing mentioned in the media about it. Stokes went nuts however he’s not going to score 160 like that every time he goes out and bats. Poor bowling didn’t help however you’d like to think there is some learnings there moving forward.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:51 am

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:Nah there is a spirit of cricket it’s just not this fanciful notion of artificial fairness and behaviours of an idealised 19th century playing fields of Gentlemanly England

It’s about playing within the laws of the game and accepting the umpires decision

That to me is the spirit of cricket in a nutshell.

That and having a beer after the game with your opponent win lose or draw to say well played

This one is long gone..... especially accepting the umpires decision, that has pretty much gone out the window since we introduced reviews. Look at the big nations, the carry on from Australia, England and India is terrible when stuff doesn't go there way.

Every country has been guilty of deliberating playing outside the laws of the game in modern cricket, Australia sandpapergate, England lollies etc.

But it is kind of my point. The rules need some tweaking with understanding in modern cricket that every inch will be taken if the rule isnt completely black or white.

England have spent the whole week trying to be the moral spirit of cricket good guys but you can guarantee whether in jest or not that Bairstow will have a crack at the stumps at some point this test.

I dont necessarily disagree with that but I think that's what the spirit is, accepting the umpires decision and it's easy to do. You don't have to like it, you can respectfully ask questions like Cummins did after Starc's catch was ruled not out but ultimately that's what you have to do.

And at test level if the umpire makes a mistake after you've burned your reviews like Broad at Trent Bridge in 2013 and Stokes at Headingly in 2019 well that the fieldings teams issue not the umpires.

Yeah agree with all that. 100% there is a place for a captain to have a genuine conversation with an umpire, some of the other bullshit that the teams do is a load of rubbish.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:00 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Seriously, how good is test cricket?!?!?! Saying that, i am sick to death of the saying "spirit of cricket". Barstow was out. Mankad if the batsmen are leaving the crease and you aren't obliged to walk. If players want to push the boundaries, be grown up enough to accept the consequences

For me 'spirit of cricket' is 'what was the intention of the rules / the way the game should be played when the law makers 146 years ago created the game'

I think that's the difference between a mankad and Bairstows stumping. I don't believe Bairstow was pushing any 'boundaries' or 'trying to gain any advantage' other than trying to go and talk to his teammate, stupidly having a brainfart and not waiting what 1-2 seconds longer. In all honesty i believe if the Starc incident hadnt happened the day before Cummins calls Bairstow back.
whufc
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:09 am

From the Lords website, MCC Laws of Cricket:

PREAMBLE TO THE LAWS: SPIRIT OF CRICKET

Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket. The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.

Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.

Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mal » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:26 am

whufc wrote:2 from 2 trying to pick the team the selectors will go with.

IMO the third test side will be....

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Boland
Murphy

Hazelwood played two tests on returning from injury surely won't be expected to now play back to back tests. Whilst not at his absolute best Boland is still ahead of Neser. Selectors to pick a genuine spinner.

I would replace Nathan Lyon with Ash Gardner
I would replace Davis Warner with Alyssa Healy who can open the batting, not keep because of her broken fingers , and can captain the side as well.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby stan » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:27 am

MW wrote:

Can't play like you're angry for 5 days. Will work in our favour i reckon. Sure they will have sessions where they get the crowd up and dominate, but over 5 days can't sustain it.
Isn't that what BAZBALL BAZBALL IS ALL ABOUR GET UP AND ABOUT SMASH BALLS A BABALLLLLLL **** THE WICKETS SMASH BALLLLLLLLS.

Yeah in say AFL you can get up and about. But in cricket it will just stuff your game up.

What are they going to do? Bowl short shit all day. Ok, that's cool we just have to be more patient and let them bowl it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:28 am

Not spirit of cricket but can we get a pitch that doesnt mean both teams will amble in a bowl short pitched shit for days.

I rarely switch cricket off but days 3 and 4 did me in....if that bowling short crap is the future of how test cricket will be played im done.

Yeah yeah yeah i get its within the rules and i get why it was done from both teams point of view. I mean it definitely worked for the English bowlers but **** me dead that was the worst cricket ive watched in my lifetime.

If it wasn't for Stokes innings and the two controversial dismissals the style of cricket would have been the talk of the week.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:28 am

MW wrote:

I agree with MW - England have the potential to lose focus. Whereas I think so far Australia have knuckled down and blocked out external chat (e.g. the Bazball crap) a bit better.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:32 am

You can’t make strawberry jam from cow manure.
Their bowling attack is pedestrian and half their batsmen aren’t good enough for test cricket
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:34 am

stan wrote:
MW wrote:

Isn't that what BAZBALL BAZBALL IS ALL ABOUR GET UP AND ABOUT SMASH BALLS A BABALLLLLLL **** THE WICKETS SMASH BALLLLLLLLS.

Yeah in say AFL you can get up and about. But in cricket it will just stuff your game up.

What are they going to do? Bowl short shit all day. Ok, that's cool we just have to be more patient and let them bowl it.

I dont think its that easy......

1. Captains can place the 9 fielders within 180 degrees of the field, compared to trying to fit 9 fielders around 360 degrees that opens up when the bowlers bowl full.
2. At a guess for 99% of cricketers defending on the front foot is easier to defend and control than balls around the head, chest.
3. At a guess over the course of an hour, two hours driving is an easier shot to control every single time vs playing aggressive short shots, at some point you will top edge one, get caught in between going along the ground, going in the air etc.

We've seen NZ employ these tactics very successfully. I mean Wagner who is bang average has made a very decent career 258 wickets at 27, steaming in and bowling short to 9 fielders behind square.

Unless the pitch has some genuine sidewards movement i think we will see another short barrage from both teams sadly.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:45 am

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:29 pm

OK its time I set the record straight with Carey/Bairstow
England started it
1882 Australian cricketer Sammy Jones was batting in a EG V AU test match
Jones presumed the ball was dead , left his crease and was run out by W G Grace
England had a 4th innings chase of 85 to win
Fred The Demon Spofforth took 7/44 and England fell 7 runs short of the chase