Round 4 Glenelg v Norwood

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 4 Glenelg v Norwood

Postby JK » Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am

DOC wrote:Dismissed.

Shortest appeal hearing on record.

Not sure trying to have the “severe” category downgraded after you’ve just broken a blokes neck was ever likely to be successful
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 05, 2023 10:33 am

Should have been smart enough to just cop the 6, trying to defend the action due to the guy going for the ball having a fumble (in the wet mind you) is just incredible.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby am Bays » Fri May 05, 2023 11:09 am

Hindsight is wonderful, we should've plead guilty on Tuesday and taken the 5.

Club tried to back the player but the reality was it was going to be hard to argue against Severe with the current SANFL tribunal guidelines with reports that Saunders was transferred to hospital.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Fri May 05, 2023 11:27 am

The Glg player had time to #1 not make contact until the Nwd player had stood up and then gave the Nwd player a hip and shoulder bump or #2 the Glg player crouched down himself and gave a shoulder bump at the same level as the Nwd player.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Spargo » Fri May 05, 2023 11:41 am

am Bays wrote:Hindsight is wonderful, we should've plead guilty on Tuesday and taken the 5.

I’m not sure 5 was on the table for an early plea, Mods, I reckon it was 6 - period. Either way, I’m as one eyed as they come and I didn’t like the club appealing.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Fri May 05, 2023 12:31 pm

Spargo wrote:
am Bays wrote:Hindsight is wonderful, we should've plead guilty on Tuesday and taken the 5.

I’m not sure 5 was on the table for an early plea, Mods, I reckon it was 6 - period. Either way, I’m as one eyed as they come and I didn’t like the club appealing.

You may be right my understanding is a guilty plea generally gives you a week off the penalty however the "not guilty" plea on Tuesday may have been indication that six weeks was going to be the minimum for a "severe impact".

Any way its done now, Club tried its best to get it down to "High" impact against insurmountable odds. Just got to support Brady over the next 8 weeks before he can play again (bye and state game) and most importantly hopefully Saunders has a full recovery and is playing again sooner rather than later.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Doddy » Fri May 05, 2023 12:50 pm

stampy wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:Searle has been suspended for 6 matches

Rightly so.
Byron Pickett got 6 weeks years ago for something similar well before the crackdown on high contact. Should have been given 8 for being stupid in today's environment!

yes it was an unfortunate incident but if the norwood lad hadnt fumbled the ball prior to contact it would have been a completely different outcome.

the decision is being appealed btw

Wishing Saunders a swift recovery and hope he returns to playing soon.

Not victim blaming here, but agree with Stampy in terms of there being some contribution by Saunders to the scale of the disaster. As Searle closes in the guy is coming up, and I don't think there is time to recalibrate when Saunders dips again because of the fumble, where he also backs off to the side leaving just his head in the collision zone. If they'd called it as 8, but discount by 2 for the circumstances it would seem a fairer description, but the outcome is the same and 6 seems fair.

Certainly fairer than Billy McCormack getting 2 for a bump that didn't warrant a free kick in round 1, and then McAdam getting a reprimand in round 3 for rough conduct (dangerous tackle) in his first week back from 4 weeks off for rough conduct.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby MAY-Z » Fri May 05, 2023 12:52 pm

am Bays wrote:
Spargo wrote:

You may be right my understanding is a guilty plea generally gives you a week off the penalty however the "not guilty" plea on Tuesday may have been indication that six weeks was going to be the minimum for a "severe impact".

Any way its done now, Club tried its best to get it down to "High" impact against insurmountable odds. Just got to support Brady over the next 8 weeks before he can play again (bye and state game) and most importantly hopefully Saunders has a full recovery and is playing again sooner rather than later.

The week discount is only for offences that are classified pre tribunal. so 5 was never an official offer (it may have been nudge nudge wink wink offered, who knows).

No idea why the club tried to downgrade impact, but maybe they should've had the Norwood doctor as their star witness given he made Saunders get up and jog off.

Realistically though once Saunders lost control of the ball high contact was inevitable, this should've been the only thing they focused on, as tackling wasnt an option,
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri May 05, 2023 2:46 pm

Best wishes to Saunders with his recovery

Poor blokes had a shocking start to his SANFL career. Knocked out in his first trial match and needed an ambulance to assist him off the ground safely.

Now this latest injury. Hopefully his luck with injuries turns around soon
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby JK » Fri May 05, 2023 4:51 pm

Saunders fumbling the ball makes it understandable, but changes nothing in terms of culpability. Every person following the code would be well aware of that these days. All/any players, from any club, that I’ve ever met in the last 20 years or so have always been high quality, respectful individuals. I’m sure Searle is the same, he’s made a blue but I’m confident no player sets out to inflict significant injury on an opponent (last millennium might be a different story). He’s made a blue, cops his whack and hopefully both boys get back to enjoy some footy with their respective clubs before the seasons over.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL