Should be enough cap space to usurp Rankine from the crows
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:27 am

A win over the arch enemy is always a good thing.

Season 2022 comes to an early close for Port Adelaide as we fall 2 games short of finals action in what can only be described as a disappointing season. Some highlights throughout the year that I’ll touch on in my season review, but for now let’s look at what transpired on Saturday night.

The opening term was pretty even as Marshall and Fogarty got both sides going but it became apparent pretty quickly how the two teams wanted to play and it was stark in its contrast. Port wanted to open the play up and move the ball from end to end, Adelaide on the other hand wanted stoppage after stoppage and the ball kept in tight. You may recall my preview noted some numbers, Port mark the ball more, Adelaide win the clearances more and that’s exactly what we saw early on. O’’Brien dominated the centre square contests, Adelaide pushed forward and Port’s defence held firm. 2 each at ¼ time and the game looked an arm wrestle.

The second term saw Port first start to stamp itself on the game, Marshall had 2 early on, last game fan favorite Gray hit the board and young forward McEntee added a third for the term around 2 more (3) for Fogarty and while it was only a 7 point lead Port Adelaide had the game mostly on their terms. Ports 3 goals coming from turnovers, the pressure the midfield was applying to forward 50 entries for Adelaide was telling.

After half time the game opened right up and Port had the opportunity to really put the game to bed, 3 goals to 1 for the term and easy misses to Gray, Bergman and Powell-Pepper left the door slightly ajar for Adelaide, if not for their forward line being dysfunctional and looking incapable of scoring. Fogarty, with his three, was kept touchless and Walker was having no impact at all as Aliir blanketed his every attempt to mark. Good, hey?

In our last term for the year Port piled it on, Marshall had his third and not long after his fourth as Georgiades, Rozee, Butters, Wines and Powell-Pepper made it 6 goals to 2 and after half time Adelaide’s 3 goals all came in junk time, time on. Port completely dominating the last half and send club great Robbie Gray off with a 56 point win over Adelaide in his final match.

Showdown Medal voting got it right, Connor Rozee was outstanding with 34 touches, 8 tackles, 3 clearances, 11 I50 and a goal, he only pipped Wines for mine though who was enormous early on, 35 touches, 6 tackles, 8 clearances and a goal. Port’s new midfield mix looks like it has some balance to the inside strength as Rozee adds agility, pace and creative run. Karl Amon in his last game in Port colors showed his professionalism with 31 touches and 6 inside 50’s.

If nothing else a smile on the faces of Port fans around town as I noted above, a win over Adelaide is a good thing.

Boons best – Rozee, Wines, Marshall, Aliir, Butters, Amon
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:02 am

Who's our top 5 list for B&F Boon? Is it a one horse race or will SPP challenge Rozee for it?

Rozee with more BOG's and higher scores, SPP with more stronger scores. Boak around the mark too IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:10 am

I think Rozee wins, SPP and Marshall up his clacker, Boak, Wines, Amon, Houston, Finlayson in the top 10.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:14 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:Delisted - Mayes, Schofield, Skinner

FA leaving - Amon

Retired - Gray, Motlop

6 changes already.

Should be enough cap space to usurp Rankine from the crows

theyll still stick with mckenzie? he trys very hard but seems to let team down as a key defender when it matters
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:19 am

Booney wrote:I think Rozee wins, SPP and Marshall up his clacker, Boak, Wines, Amon, Houston, Finlayson in the top 10.

In all honesty, I find the voting system a tad flawed, perhaps I'm more of a traditionalist though.

The lads previous club trialed it and I thought the standout player didn't win, he won the parents voting slip one though, he subsequently moved clubs the following year.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:I think Rozee wins, SPP and Marshall up his clacker, Boak, Wines, Amon, Houston, Finlayson in the top 10.

In all honesty, I find the voting system a tad flawed, perhaps I'm more of a traditionalist though.

The lads previous club trialed it and I thought the standout player didn't win, he won the parents voting slip one though, he subsequently moved clubs the following year.

Given it's on how the coaches feel the player played their role it can be difficult to understand, but I reckon the BnF has been the BnF most years, can't think of anyone, even back to the late 80's, who won out of turn.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:30 am

Would he be Ports youngest ever B&F if he wins it
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:36 am

Bradley in '82 was 19, Wingard in '13 was 20, Rozee is 22 now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Was that player HC or EC
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:29 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Was that player HC or EC

Nope.

Reading between the lines on that one "EC" won junior player of the club but the wrong name was on the actual trophy and the club just rolled with the name that was engraved as the recipient.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:37 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Was that player HC or EC

Nope.

Reading between the lines on that one "EC" won junior player of the club but the wrong name was on the actual trophy and the club just rolled with the name that was engraved as the recipient.

:shock: :shock:

That's heaps poor.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:43 am

whufc wrote: :shock: :shock:

That's heaps poor.

I had a similar experience running the cricket club.

Met the trophy man, he was hellbent on trying to be funny and didn't really pay much attention to what I was saying.

Tried to scare me a few days out by telling me the trophies won't be ready in time for the presentation then wanted to seem like a hero for getting it together on the day.

F***** the major awards up, put the wrong brother on the Rising Star award and cocked up a heap of them, missed a couple of kids trophies out, I lost my shit at him the following day as half the errors weren't picked up until they were getting presented, one poor kid was sitting there by themselves while the rest of their team were getting ready for a team photo.

It was Northside Trophies from then on, they were brilliant.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:43 am

Off topic.. but if you get to the end of the season and the B&F is clearly wrong - do you think it's fair to change it?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:47 am

The Bedge wrote:Off topic.. but if you get to the end of the season and the B&F is clearly wrong - do you think it's fair to change it?

You just find another trophy title IMO.

I used to get my team manager to check who the parents put so I could see if they were taking the piss or not, she half refused to until one day when a parent with a slip was at the playground for the first half with another one of their other kids.

Our TM went and asked for the slip back and it was already filled out with her kid getting the 5 votes, he hadn't even touched the ball.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:54 am

The Bedge wrote:Off topic.. but if you get to the end of the season and the B&F is clearly wrong - do you think it's fair to change it?

BnF voting should not be left to parents/ground marshalls, etc. Should always be from the coaching team.

I hate doing it from a parent/ground marshall point of view. I have no idea what the players should or should not be doing and half the time they all play similar so its a guess.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:07 pm

MW wrote:

BnF voting should not be left to parents/ground marshalls, etc. Should always be from the coaching team.

I hate doing it from a parent/ground marshall point of view. I have no idea what the players should or should not be doing and half the time they all play similar so its a guess.

IMO, If you are voting for B&F it doesnt matter what they are supposed to be doing, just vote for the best and fairest player. If you are voting for most valuable player or best team player then what they are supposed to be doing should come into play.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:19 pm

MW wrote:

Same, it basically rules out my kid getting a vote no matter how they played.

Sometimes I umpire my lad's game, I have instructed the league to not put me as #1 umpire as I don't want any part of the voting for that game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:39 pm

Thanks appreciate the thoughts. I've found parents (and even occasionally team manager) to be a pretty unreliable source of selecting best players this season.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:41 pm

The Bedge wrote:Thanks appreciate the thoughts. I've found parents (and even occasionally team manager) to be a pretty unreliable source of selecting best players this season.

Coach and runner should either share one or have one each, if you can get the opposition coach to partake then that's always a bonus, they now who destroyed them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL