Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby Neverwasgood » Sun May 11, 2014 12:05 pm

This whole topic is pointless as most people don't even know what is happening at their own club, yet they feel they need to make assumptions about everyone else's club.
Neverwasgood

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby marbles » Sun May 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Bigshow82 wrote:
marbles wrote:would it benefit all if...

kilburn
brahma lodge
angle vale
mitchell park
angle vale
flinders uni
wingfield

just all bailed and made their own little division for rest of the season and just played each other instead :D

Why would we bail? You right some dumb shit sometimes mate.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

you cant even spell write right :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby marbles » Sun May 11, 2014 1:37 pm

theres no gain in this pain

biting the bullet and spending recess time in a patch league where joyful happy experiences and close matches can occur far out weighs being thrashed by 35 goals every week

id hate to be a fly on the wall at some of the clubs on saturday night

what a dry dull revolting experience it would be listening to a coach morn about how we got pumped by 35 goals today
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Bigshow82 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:49 pm

marbles wrote:theres no gain in this pain

biting the bullet and spending recess time in a patch league where joyful happy experiences and close matches can occur far out weighs being thrashed by 35 goals every week

what a dry dull revolting experience it would be listening to a coach morn about how we got pumped by 35 goals today

Welcome to come down to Brahma Lodge marbles on a Saturday night. Our Saturday nights have been quite vibrant and from what I'm told are better than they were when the club was up and about. You know little to nothing about Brahma Lodge so stop making remarks including us.

Bigshow82
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby marbles » Sun May 11, 2014 5:21 pm

is the previous angle vale coach now coaching brahma?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Bigshow82 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:44 pm

marbles wrote:is the previous angle vale coach now coaching brahma?

No he is the assistant coach at trinity this year.

Bigshow82
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Bigshow82 wrote:
marbles wrote:theres no gain in this pain

Welcome to come down to Brahma Lodge marbles on a Saturday night. Our Saturday nights have been quite vibrant and from what I'm told are better than they were when the club was up and about. You know little to nothing about Brahma Lodge so stop making remarks including us.

I can vouch for that BShow. Our worst year on field in 1996 was our best year off field. As a consequence we finished up in the GF in 1997.

I think it was because there was no pressure on us to perform on field. Yep, we tried our hardest but we were realistically never going to win anything. As a result we bonded REALLY well off field and had a ball.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby jo172 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:16 pm

12 months after both clubs are on their knees both Kilburn and Mitchell Park make Grand Finals.

Very impressive all things considered.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 am

morell wrote:
Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Get rid of the points system and paying players and all will be good.
Those two things are definitely factors, but they 2/10s of the overall picture.

Player apathy
Work/Sport Quandary
Competition from other sports
Time poor lifestyles
Geography
Demographics
Club density

etc

It's a complicated story.

A-get used the the points system, the majority are in favour and it's here to stay. Yes I believe there should be more flexibility with it, maybe that will come in time.
B-get used to player payments it's here for good, times changed years ago. Smart clubs work a way to compete without throwing big $$$$ around. Be it right or wrong it ain't changing. :)
I've racked my feeble mind on how to get rid of player payments (for lower divisions in particular) as I think it's having a massive derogatory impact on our sport and league. The only solutions I've ever thought of either require a massive shift in the mindset of the league, sport and its players, or a massive influx of resources to monitor and police it...or support from the state and feds:

If player x is getting income from playing sport, that should be taxed, unless I am mistaken.

Therefore, technically, players that receive said income could be audited and fined by the ATO.

If this happened enough times eventually individuals and clubs would have to begin declaring their payments.

If that then happened for long enough, then there would be records available for, say, an office of Recreation and Sport to begin putting a stamp on it, and possibly, providing some of those records to approved governing bodies, such as the SAAFL.

From there, they could put in policies and regulation to control it.

Pipe dream and perhaps draconian.
#justsayin' ;)
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 am

jo172 wrote:12 months after both clubs are on their knees both Kilburn and Mitchell Park make Grand Finals.

Very impressive all things considered.
We're still struggling. On field results in a very weak division don't mask that. We had a few reserves games this year where we really came close to not fielding a side and financially it's still looking a bit dire. We dipped into a player payment scheme for the future just to get through the year.

The good news is, provided everyone who contributed this year, off field and on stays next year and contribute again, we should have a foundation that is in my opinion more sustainable than any other period in recent memory. Even when we won the D7 flag in 2012, I always had the uneasy feeling that we had too many eggs in one basket. Sure enough all of those eggs fell out of the nest and made an omelette on the floor.

This time the workload has been spread. So you have the fantastic coaching and people skills of Shane Lynch, the leadership and discipline provided by Tom Roberts, the administrative, football ops and experience of Wayne Wyld, the organisation and logistics from Ken Kelsall, the recruitment gold mine and network of Lachlan Pike. The inspiration and hard work by Joe Leck. The off field contributions by Bill Decelis and the rest of the committee. Plus the enthusiasm and commitment provided by all the new players to the club.

Still a massive journey ahead for us though. We survived - which is great. We made some big changes to the sporting club hierarchy as well. Now to flourish.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:I think what is most concerning is considering what may happen in the future when you look at some other clubs who although may be having some success, at this stage could go downhill rapidly:

Houghton Thriving and appear to be getting stronger
Mawson Lakes Struggling
Wingfield Dead
Smithifeld Dead
North Pines Dead

Fast forward to this year, and sadly seems from the outside even more clubs appear in strife as we come out of two covid affected years.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:21 pm

With respect to this year I wonder how much of an effect state/international borders reopening has had an effect.

We would perhaps lose a player or two a year interstate or overseas, but lost nearly a dozen over the previous off-season. Suspect that there was a bottleneck effect and instead of losing those players gradually they all sought to see more of the world at once.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:I think what is most concerning is considering what may happen in the future when you look at some other clubs who although may be having some success, at this stage could go downhill rapidly:

Houghton Thriving and appear to be getting stronger
Mawson Lakes Struggling
Wingfield Dead
Smithifeld Dead
North Pines Dead

Fast forward to this year, and sadly seems from the outside even more clubs appear in strife as we come out of two covid affected years.

With respect PG, oh sorry, Bedge, nearly every club from Div 1 to Div 5 appear strong enough to hold out going forward. I don’t think we will lose any in 2023. It’s been hard for some granted, but there is enough loyal club people everywhere to keep their clubs ticking.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:11 am

Yank Man wrote:With respect PG, oh sorry, Bedge, nearly every club from Div 1 to Div 5 appear strong enough to hold out going forward. I don’t think we will lose any in 2023. It’s been hard for some granted, but there is enough loyal club people everywhere to keep their clubs ticking.

Not saying we will lose any in 2023 - may not lose any in coming years at all.. but it would be a little narrow minded to suggest that clubs from D1 to D5 are ticking along well, and that any problems may only be present below that.

Every club has loyal club people, but it doesn't take a lot for that to change either.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 am

With less and less volunteers at clubs, those that have helped out over the past COVID years are getting burnt out.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:18 am

Brodlach wrote:With less and less volunteers at clubs, those that have helped out over the past COVID years are getting burnt out.

What is the feeling around the Ammo clubs around the next generation of volunteers? From what I have seen the next generation of younger people/parents are less likely to put their hand up to volunteer, which in turn puts more pressure on the long term vollies...thoughts?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:20 am

100%
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:21 am

Brodlach wrote:100%

x2
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am

Young “volunteers “ want to be paid in meals, drinks, merchandise etc

Most older volunteers ask for zero.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:With less and less volunteers at clubs, those that have helped out over the past COVID years are getting burnt out.

What is the feeling around the Ammo clubs around the next generation of volunteers? From what I have seen the next generation of younger people/parents are less likely to put their hand up to volunteer, which in turn puts more pressure on the long term vollies...thoughts?

Would part of the problem be the generation of paid player and with the amount of blokes that swap clubs constantly. I would think your less likely to volunteer if you expect to be paid to play and also if your not as 'loyal' to one club.

When I think I volunteers ive seen at a variety of sporting clubs in different codes a high percentage tend to people who have had a link with the club for long periods whether that is via playing themselves or family that have played. Obviously you get the ones as well who will volunteer whilst their children are involved but once they move on a lot of times the volunteer might move on.

I don't think this issue just a sporting club issue even in the workforce there is a lack of volunteers
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League