Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:10 pm

The stats (%) relate to admissions, not directly to ICU and/or ventilators.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Trader » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:16 pm

Booney wrote:The stats (%) relate to admissions, not directly to ICU and/or ventilators.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

So a 62% increase in your chance of going to hospital, not necessarily ending up on a ventilator (which could be even more).
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby RB » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:08 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:According to Miss Nicola from Playschool in a puff piece on TV on Monday night; that 2 weeks after your 2nd dose you are "fully protected".

Mmmmmm fully protected from what? You can still get it and you can still get it bad enough to end up in ICU (as seen in Booney's post)

It's possible that by 'fully protected' she meant either a) the vaccine will have taken full effect - i.e. provided you with whatever protection it can, or b) as protected as one can be at this point in time from the effects of the virus.

Either way, there have also been plenty of messages from public health authorities and experts noting that the vaccines will not be 100% effective.

The fact is, being vaccinated will significantly reduce the likelihood of you being hospitalized or dying if you contract COVID-19.

Whether this reduction is 99%, 50%, 75%, etc. is pretty immaterial for mine,

Jimmy_041 wrote:Any wonder some people don't trust what the Guberment are saying.

Which brings me to this.

Governments of all political stripes, at all levels, and in all countries, will from time to time either a) mislead the public intentionally or b) stuff up accidentally or c) simply communicate with the public on an issue really poorly.

Though the situation in SA currently, and over the last 18 months, when compared with interstate or pretty much anywhere overseas, would suggest that the public health response to the pandemic has been largely very good, our authorities have obviously made some mistakes along the way, as would be expected.

It would perhaps have been more accurate for Spurrier to have said, 'two weeks after your second dose you will have received the maximum level of protection, significantly reducing your likelihood of being hospitalized etc.'.

While I agree that it's healthy to harbour a degree of skepticism about what government representatives tell us - within reason - a senior public servant and health expert using a poor choice of words, or omitting context, or occasionally failing to project sufficient nuance, does not lead me to conclude that the government cannot be trusted.

Perhaps if it had been a politician - e.g. Steven Marshall - I may find your comment slightly more convincing. But even then, I'm not sure what Steven Marshall (or anyone) would have to gain by deliberately misleading folks about the vaccine (or what his ulterior purpose would be).

In short, yes, the government/SA Health etc. are not the second coming of Christ and will occasionally deliver information imperfectly, which when viewed in isolation can be criticised from behind the keyboard pretty easily.

However, there's no reason to be especially distrustful of the public health messages delivered by elected governments in developed countries who obviously have an interest in protecting the public.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm

RB wrote:However, there's no reason to be especially distrustful of the public health messages delivered by elected governments in developed countries who obviously have an interest in protecting the public.

Excellent point. Excellent.

To lay your head on the pillow at night thinking anything other than health professionals having your best interests at heart is beyond misguided.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:However, there's no reason to be especially distrustful of the public health messages delivered by elected governments in developed countries who obviously have an interest in protecting the public.

To lay your head on the pillow at night thinking anything other than health professionals having your best interests at heart is beyond misguided.

Sorry, I disagree.
It depends on what "your best interests" are and who is determining what those best interests are.
Goverments are quite happy to lose a few to save the masses. That may not be in your best interests.

I, for one, wouldn't trust SA Health with my best interests. Not because they're up to something Stalinistic - more I wouldn't trust them with organising my bathroom cabinet.

The main reason SA Health is protecting our best interests is because our health system is in no shape to protect our best interests if this thing takes off. And its not just here. Most states have massive ramping
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby MW » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Not a single health system in the world is equipped to handle a pandemic.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Booney wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:Wow Pfizer is slowly being exposed re vaccine they made around 15 Billion Dollars last year.

Disgusting ! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVk-kxd3d4

Slowly being exposed for what exactly?

We're through the looking glass here people....

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 850 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby stan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sorry, I disagree.
It depends on what "your best interests" are and who is determining what those best interests are.
Goverments are quite happy to lose a few to save the masses. That may not be in your best interests.

I, for one, wouldn't trust SA Health with my best interests. Not because they're up to something Stalinistic - more I wouldn't trust them with organising my bathroom cabinet.

The main reason SA Health is protecting our best interests is because our health system is in no shape to protect our best interests if this thing takes off. And its not just here. Most states have massive ramping
Essentially you have a couple of points raised here but the main one being about the health system.

The purpose of lockdowns is to give you time to get ready for what's coming. So far in SA we have a promise of a new basketball stadiums that we don't need and 30 additional hospital beds.

It's Cleary been a big 18 months for Steve but he hasn't really got us ready for what's coming when we get to 80%
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:08 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sorry, I disagree.

One of if not the best health system in the world and it isn't good enough.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:37 am

Booney wrote:One of if not the best health system in the world and it isn't good enough.

Doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:53 am

1838 in Danistan, another record
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:1838 in Danistan, another record

Dan caught breaking the law by not wearing a mask outdoors (two days in succession)
Unfortunately, the Stasi didn't do a George Floyd on him
Danbots threatening to lynch the reporter that posted it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:41 pm

whufc wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:Wow Pfizer is slowly being exposed re vaccine they made around 15 Billion Dollars last year.

Why is it disgusting.

If you can create a product the world needs why shouldn't you profit from that.

Given how many doses they have sold to the world that sounds like a fairly small profit margin to be honest.

The problem is they created the problem to pedal their product. The vaccine came before the virus, youre kidding yourself if you think any different
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:According to Miss Nicola from Playschool in a puff piece on TV on Monday night; that 2 weeks after your 2nd dose you are "fully protected".

Mmmmmm fully protected from what? You can still get it and you can still get it bad enough to end up in ICU (as seen in Booney's post)

Any wonder some people don't trust what the Guberment are saying.
Lucky Miss Nicola has an indemnity from the State because that statement is fully bull$hit

https://fb.watch/8u7XZmX7CF/

And for the purposes of Booneys above stats you are not double vaccinated officially until 2 weeks after your 2nd dose, therefore if you die before those 2 weeks are up youre also not a double vaccinated death, nor a death from the vaccine.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:49 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Why is it disgusting.

Given how many doses they have sold to the world that sounds like a fairly small profit margin to be honest.

The problem is they created the problem to pedal their product. The vaccine came before the virus, youre kidding yourself if you think any different

China has already created the Covid-22 vaccine.
They're just waiting to release the 2 in 1 package deal next year
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Why is it disgusting.

China has already created the Covid-22 vaccine.
They're just waiting to release the 2 in 1 package deal next year

Do you get discount for pre-ordering?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:51 pm

New variant announced in NSW, wonder if it will end up putting freedom day in Jeopardy :D
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Anyone aware of SA Health employees being told in the last day or so they must be Vaxed to continue employment?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone aware of SA Health employees being told in the last day or so they must be Vaxed to continue employment?
Must be the same rules applied to all staff/contractors now as front-line workers....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:13 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone aware of SA Health employees being told in the last day or so they must be Vaxed to continue employment?

rEsEaRcH

https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/10/08/ ... e-workers/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion