Advice re next holiday

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Advice re next holiday

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:I'm a little naive on some of this, but has anyone ever used Agoda.com to book accommodation?
What was it like, and are their any tricks to it?
I have tried to send messages to the hotel via their portal and got no answer so I'm wondering if they don't get answered until I pay for it? I have also tried to phone and email the place direct with the numbers provided but no luck.
I'm sort of wondering whether the place may have gone out of business because of this, but they were showing on the various accommodation booking websites and when I booked mine, it was the last one and then changed their availability to fully booked, so it seemed legit as it is likely to be a busy time and a lot of other accommodation was taken.

We've used them before when we stayed at Crown Metropol in Melbourne. No issues at all and it was cheap as buggery. I was wary when missus booked it but all was good.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:52 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:I'm a little naive on some of this, but has anyone ever used Agoda.com to book accommodation?
What was it like, and are their any tricks to it?
I have tried to send messages to the hotel via their portal and got no answer so I'm wondering if they don't get answered until I pay for it? I have also tried to phone and email the place direct with the numbers provided but no luck.
I'm sort of wondering whether the place may have gone out of business because of this, but they were showing on the various accommodation booking websites and when I booked mine, it was the last one and then changed their availability to fully booked, so it seemed legit as it is likely to be a busy time and a lot of other accommodation was taken.
Agoda are one of the better OTA’s and part of a huge company but I still prefer to book direct with the hotel as it cuts outs the middleman and allows you to deal direct with them over issues. I’d be contacting Agoda though if you have any issues
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Bum Crack wrote:We've used them before when we stayed at Crown Metropol in Melbourne. No issues at all and it was cheap as buggery. I was wary when missus booked it but all was good.

Jim05 wrote:Agoda are one of the better OTA’s and part of a huge company but I still prefer to book direct with the hotel as it cuts outs the middleman and allows you to deal direct with them over issues. I’d be contacting Agoda though if you have any issues

Thank Fellas, that is reassuring.

Yeah, Jim, I would rather talk directly to someone too, peace of mind that things are taken care of. I should have said I got the number off the booking website and tried to call to make the booking, but when I couldn't get through I booked on the website as plenty of places were booked out and I was getting a little desperate.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 am

Hey Jim (or anyone else that might know). We're looking at going to the UK next October but I notice flights on various websites only go up to the end of August (with the exception of Qantas which has until mid September), when do you think October would open up?
Also I normally organise holidays by myself online which I'm generally good at but for a trip like this would it be advisable to involve an agent, and if so who do people recommend?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:46 am

Wedgie wrote:Hey Jim (or anyone else that might know). We're looking at going to the UK next October but I notice flights on various websites only go up to the end of August (with the exception of Qantas which has until mid September), when do you think October would open up?
Also I normally organise holidays by myself online which I'm generally good at but for a trip like this would it be advisable to involve an agent, and if so who do people recommend?
Most airlines don’t load flights into their inventory until 330 days out, some are different and in Covid times it even further muddies the waters.
As a general rule of thumb though you should start to see October bookings appear in early November.
If you are comfortable enough booking yourself then don’t worry about a travel agent
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Hey Jim (or anyone else that might know). We're looking at going to the UK next October but I notice flights on various websites only go up to the end of August (with the exception of Qantas which has until mid September), when do you think October would open up?
Most airlines don’t load flights into their inventory until 330 days out, some are different and in Covid times it even further muddies the waters.
As a general rule of thumb though you should start to see October bookings appear in early November.
If you are comfortable enough booking yourself then don’t worry about a travel agent

Cheers mate!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Cheers mate!

Make sure you have a cancellation option Wedgie (for your accommodation as well).
As far as I know, no insurer is covering Covid or lockdowns
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Cheers mate!

Make sure you have a cancellation option Wedgie (for your accommodation as well).
As far as I know, no insurer is covering Covid or lockdowns

You can get covid insurance which covers if you get it or someone you're travelling with does but it doesn't include lockdowns.
I'll be doing accom as late as possible, might even keep it flexible as we plan to be travelling to London then spend most of our time after north going a long way to get there.
But yes, will have every sort of insurance, etc possible! Don't worry about that!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Risking a hit and run 3 night trip to Port Douglas next month for our anniversary. Really only 2 days there and will have a car hired also, thinking of a helicopter flight to or from the reef for one day trip, any other suggestions for the limited time we will be there?
Thinking maybe a drive up to the Daintree for the other full day.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Finally pulled the pin on a quick trip to Port Douglas next month since we were so far in front of where we needed to be for our England trip next year. Going next month for our anniversary, just 3 days (cheap as chips atm, flights as cheap as $99 and cheaper than going to SE Qld).
Doing the reef cruise (including helicopter flight back from the reef) on the day of our anniversary as well as a sunset cruise. (missus has never seen the reef, this should be awesome for her being a pom)
Have a day free the day before and will have a hire car so thinking of heading up into the rainforest that day, any recommendations on what to do with that day?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Finally pulled the pin on a quick trip to Port Douglas next month since we were so far in front of where we needed to be for our England trip next year. Going next month for our anniversary, just 3 days (cheap as chips atm, flights as cheap as $99 and cheaper than going to SE Qld).
Doing the reef cruise (including helicopter flight back from the reef) on the day of our anniversary as well as a sunset cruise.
Have a day free the day before and will have a hire car so thinking of heading up into the rainforest that day, any recommendations on what to do with that day?
Definitely drive up to Cape Tribulation and do the Daintree walk along the way. Great way to spend the day
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Finally pulled the pin on a quick trip to Port Douglas next month since we were so far in front of where we needed to be for our England trip next year. Going next month for our anniversary, just 3 days (cheap as chips atm, flights as cheap as $99 and cheaper than going to SE Qld).
Doing the reef cruise (including helicopter flight back from the reef) on the day of our anniversary as well as a sunset cruise.
Definitely drive up to Cape Tribulation and do the Daintree walk along the way. Great way to spend the day

It's about 80k's from Port Douglas to Cape Trib, but the road means it's at least a 90 minute drive, weaving and winding along.

Get over the Daintree River, about 15 minutes later stop at the Daintree Ice Cream shop and try the ice creams on offer. 1, you'll want something cold, 2, you'll love it then go to Cow Bay Beach, great spot. Just stay out of the water. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

It's about 80k's from Port Douglas to Cape Trib, but the road means it's at least a 90 minute drive, weaving and winding along.

Get over the Daintree River, about 15 minutes later stop at the Daintree Ice Cream shop and try the ice creams on offer. 1, you'll want something cold, 2, you'll love it then go to Cow Bay Beach, great spot. Just stay out of the water. ;)

Did it yesterday, fun drive but if I had my time again I wouldn't have bothered venturing north of Mossman, Mossman Gorge was awesome, beaches up at Cape Trib were nice but no different to Port Douglas or Palm Cove, just less people.
Didn't bother about an ice cream, (I don't eat it atm) but a coral tropical lager went down a treat at Cape Trib before the long trek back.
******* ferry across Daintree River cost $39!!!! I'm used to them being free in SA!

Anyway, off to breakfast now, already did a walk down to 4 mile Beach (a block away) and we're getting picked up at 10.30 for our helicopter trip out to the reef before doing a sunset sailing cruise later today, weather has been a solid 31 every day with no hint of rain and stuff all humidity, bloody lucky!

PS on my walk down to 4 mile beach there was a sign saying a croc had been sighted in the last 7 days and that it was seen inside the swimming net! I'll stick to our resorts pool I think! It is the one downside up here that the beaches are magnificent but you can't swim in them!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 pm

Looking to head down to Robe in early March, an area we haven't spent much time in, any recommendations of things to do and accomodation would be great
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:Looking to head down to Robe in early March, an area we haven't spent much time in, any recommendations of things to do and accomodation would be great

Robe and Beachport breweries are a must!
Hire a house that’s walking distance to beach and Robe Main Street.

Do you have a 4WD?
So much more to do if you have one.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:Looking to head down to Robe in early March, an area we haven't spent much time in, any recommendations of things to do and accomodation would be great

Take ya golf clubs - Robe has 6 holes built into the sand hills which are pretty good, 6 out the front which are pretty flay and another 6 near the oval which are not to bad.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:42 pm

@gazzamagoo
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:04 pm

Booney wrote:

@gazzamagoo

He can tell you where to get a cauliflower pizza from
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:32 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Do you have a 4WD?

No 4WD but breweries sound perfect, hoping weather will still be good for the beach.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Do you have a 4WD?

No 4WD but breweries sound perfect, hoping weather will still be good for the beach.

Go and have a look at Nora Creina and all the pikeys
(I once got a ban from FB for calling someone a pikey)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel