Adelaide

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide 2021

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:26 am

Comparing previous racial incidents to this are chalk and cheese IMO.. all those other cases were individuals making a conscious decision to directly and often aggressive target an individual.

Tex ****** up, no doubt. What he said/done can't be undone... but.. People need to settle a bit, I'm sure every person on here at some point has said something they regret, or made a comment about someone indirectly.

Incredibly powerful of the Crows staff member to report it, that takes serious Kahunas - would've been very easy and simple to either pretend to ignore, or brush under the carpet... furthermore credit to the Crows who reported it, and Tex for admitting fault when both could've played dumb like the camp fiasco.

The way it was handled by the parties (except the media), shows that as a nation we are on the right path.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:28 am

Brodlach wrote:So who are you actually blaming then or your anger at?

Walker because can afford the fine or the AFL for their punishment given out?

The AFL in this case

Overridingly I’m sick of professional sports players screaming to the roof tops sport is their job so they receive the benefits that are provided but then not facing the same penalties us plebs would in our workplaces when shit goes wrong

For mine professional sports, the government bodies and the players involved are so out of touch with the real world reality it’s not funny
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2520 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:32 am

The Bedge wrote:Comparing previous racial incidents to this are chalk and cheese IMO.. all those other cases were individuals making a conscious decision to directly and often aggressive target an individual.

Tex ****** up, no doubt. What he said/done can't be undone... but.. People need to settle a bit, I'm sure every person on here at some point has said something they regret, or made a comment about someone indirectly.

Incredibly powerful of the Crows staff member to report it, that takes serious Kahunas - would've been very easy and simple to either pretend to ignore, or brush under the carpet... furthermore credit to the Crows who reported it, and Tex for admitting fault when both could've played dumb like the camp fiasco.

The way it was handled by the parties (except the media), shows that as a nation we are on the right path.

Absolutely the crows as a club, the staff member involved have handled this extremely well. No doubts about that at all, in fact the crows for one of the first times in recent history have been open, honest and haven’t tried to sweep things under the rug.

Absolutely 99.9% of us would have said some things previously we regret. I know I have but definitely not in the last 20 years since I know better. My frustration lies at what my workplace punishment would be compared to a sports stars work place punishment and how they are treated above the community standards we have now set
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:38 am

whufc wrote:My frustration lies at what my workplace punishment would be compared to a sports stars work place punishment and how they are treated above the community standards we have now set

You reckon if someone came up to you and said "Old mate just called other old mate xxx" that you'd sack them?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:40 am

Brodlach wrote:Agree to disagree

I said IF I did it I wouldn’t be in front of 23 million people, it was whufc hypothetical

You’re living in the past still

We have over 25 million ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:41 am

The Bedge wrote:Comparing previous racial incidents to this are chalk and cheese IMO.. all those other cases were individuals making a conscious decision to directly and often aggressive target an individual.

Magnificent post

(who would have thought I’d say that to you).
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:44 am

Tex was aggressive and direct with what he said.
He may not have directed that at the player but he was still aggressive and direct with his comments.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:57 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:My frustration lies at what my workplace punishment would be compared to a sports stars work place punishment and how they are treated above the community standards we have now set

You reckon if someone came up to you and said "Old mate just called other old mate xxx" that you'd sack them?

IF in my workplace as the manager of a community sports and recreation centre another employee came up to me or completed one of our incident reports that clearly stated our employee called another person in the facility a 'black ****' we would have no choice but to conduct an investigation which would then go to our People, Risk, Compliance department.

I would lose my job if i was told that the incident had occurred and I did not instigate an investigation and inform PRC who would also be involved.

If they were 100% found to have said that absolutely they would lose their job, was only speaking to our PRC Manager about how he believed this scenario would play out in our workplace and he believed that would be the case and his only option. Especially given we exist via council managed contracts and that would also be their expectation.

We have also had social sports players found guilty of racial abuse and yes there bans have been much much much longer than 6 weeks. More in the area of multiple years like the AFL punished the Richmond spectator.

Keep in mind as well players for years now have been screaming for the same entitlement and roles as if it were there workplace. They want to be treated as employees in a workplace.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:59 am

Overreaction say the (I assume) white guys. ****, imagine getting shit canned on an almost daily basis over something you have no control over. It's not PC gone mad it's a people saying 'we've had enough'. Listen to Eddie Betts talk about the constant abuse he has faced over his career. I think Adelaide have done the right thing.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm

Also I wouldn't consider calling someone a black **** doing 53 in a 50km zone. No one in Australia can think that comment in any form is at any level ok.

Yes I understand that at times the lines between appropriate and non appropriate can be blurred but his absolutely smashed it with that comment. Deadset we knew calling someone a black **** was wrong in the late 90s' nevermind 2021.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Overreaction say the (I assume) white guys. ****, imagine getting shit canned on an almost daily basis over something you have no control over. It's not PC gone mad it's a people saying 'we've had enough'. Listen to Eddie Betts talk about the constant abuse he has faced over his career. I think Adelaide have done the right thing.

regards,

REB

Reckon i'm qualified enough to comment. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm

What it does show is that more and more people are saying “enough is enough, stop the racism”. That can only be a great thing.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:13 pm

Brodlach wrote:What it does show is that more and more people are saying “enough is enough, stop the racism”. That can only be a great thing.

Agree with you mate.

I said many things as a teenager I hold regret for and wish i knew better. A combination of lack of education, poor role models and a society that accepted that was partly to blame.

We move forward 20 years and i don't expect any 'soft repercussions' for slips of the tongue. We know a shitload better now, if I stuff up I will own that and cop the full consequences. The slips of the tongue cannot be tolerated any more.

I expect my kids to behave to a much higher behaviour standard than I did at their current age.

I am not indigenous but i do have Jamaican family which includes dark skinned family members. Listening to their stories in recent years and their battles as they moved to from Jamaica to the UK is incredibly heart breaking.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm

Seriously, my biggest gripe is the thousands of people who think they're perfect who are putting the boots in especially on Facebook.

They're ******* hypocrites and just like being able to feel bigger by ripping a bloke. Half of them think they're taking a stand against racism - but they're not - they're the same idiots who boo Goodes for calling out racism, the same idiots who said Patty Mills carrying being a flag bearer was tokenism, the same idiots who year after year fight against Australia Day changing.

Same idiots who think ATSI people get hand outs.
Same idiots who write shit like "Why cant we have a White Person round?"
Same idiots who say professional indig players should be thankful for getting to play the game, and sacked for not singing the anthem.
Same idiots who cross the road when walking past a mob from the APY lands in the city to avoid.
Same idiots who make snap racial bias judgements when they see an Aboriginal person.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:Seriously, my biggest gripe is the thousands of people who think they're perfect who are putting the boots in especially on Facebook.

They're ******* hypocrites and just like being able to feel bigger by ripping a bloke. Half of them think they're taking a stand against racism - but they're not - they're the same idiots who boo Goodes for calling out racism, the same idiots who said Patty Mills carrying being a flag bearer was tokenism, the same idiots who year after year fight against Australia Day changing.

Same idiots who think ATSI people get hand outs.
Same idiots who write shit like "Why cant we have a White Person round?"
Same idiots who say professional indig players should be thankful for getting to play the game, and sacked for not singing the anthem.
Same idiots who cross the road when walking past a mob from the APY lands in the city to avoid.
Same idiots who make snap racial bias judgements when they see an Aboriginal person.

Totally agree, i think the worst part is so many of these people are not willing to change their ideas not matter how educated.

Ill put my hand up and admit the Goodes situation really confused me, whilst i never booed Goodes and i never would call him any 'names' i definitely didn't 'stand with Goodes' initially.

Had the absolute pleasure of spending a day with Paul Vandenbergh and boy did that open my eyes and have me thinking in a completely different light.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:32 pm

Brodlach wrote:

Magnificent post

He's good for one annually, we're stuffed now for at least 4 months.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:47 pm

If someone, who has had years of education and training around this issue and also seen first hand it's impact, isn't held accountable then how can you hold a random member of society who has never had the benefit of that education to as high a standard?

The AFL talk a big game when it comes to stamping out negative aspects of our game and in society but when push comes to shove their actions don't stand up.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Magnificent post

He's good for one annually, we're stuffed now for at least 4 months.

I thought you wrote anally initially
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:55 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:If someone, who has had years of education and training around this issue and also seen first hand it's impact, isn't held accountable then how can you hold a random member of society who has never had the benefit of that education to as high a standard?

The AFL talk a big game when it comes to stamping out negative aspects of our game and in society but when push comes to shove their actions don't stand up.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts right there.

Im pissed about the AFL public facing words that make them millions versus them actually standing up

Classic example being their indigenous round which they no doubt commercially benefit big time from even if it’s not their intention.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:28 pm

North Adelaide Football Club Statement: Racial Vilification

The North Adelaide Football Club was this week made aware of the investigation by the AFL Integrity Unit into an offensive message directed at our player Robbie Young during the home match against Adelaide on July 17.

The Club was deeply disappointed by this racially vilifying comment which is unacceptable at any level of our game. We are extremely proud to have one of the strongest representations of Indigenous players in the SANFL and embrace diversity in our club and have absolutely zero tolerance for vilification of any kind and are committed to supporting the fight against racist behaviour.

Whilst this matter is incredibly disheartening for Robbie and his teammates, he knows he has our full support, and remains our main focus at this time as we all wrap our arms around him.

We trust this matter has again highlighted the need for continuing education and respect for our first nations people, in all areas of society.

Andrew Souter
President and Chairman - NAFC
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2025 times
Been liked: 3870 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL