Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:02 pm

caleb777 wrote:
Aerie wrote:Does anybody know what will become of the new sports complex at Mt Barker? It's looking pretty impressive already with the white picket fence and goal posts up. Will the Mt Barker Football Club and Cricket Club take over and/or will the SANFL and SACA look to play some SANFL League and/or Premier Cricket games on it?

Could a club such as Sturt begin a junior program there similar to this merger proposal, where there are two lots of junior teams (city and hills based in this case). Or could Adelaide University be given the area to develop juniors?

Just seems too good a facility to not be utilised at the top state level, particularly in such a growing area a stones throw from other growing towns such as Nairne, Littlehampton and even Strathalbyn and Murray Bridge.

Could we see a similar facility down south, or is there already a similar facility being built in Aldinga, with the new high school, that could be better utilised by SACA and the Southern District Cricket Club? It looks like there will be new cricket nets built, along with soccer/hockey etc.

It seems to me the SACA are so hell-bent on merging clubs they might be missing out on opportunities to utilise some of these great new facilities being built in the outer regions to benefit the game of cricket in this state.

The new sports complex wont be the home of either Barker footy or Cricket clubs rather it will be used by all members of the various HFL and AEHCA clubs. It is going to be amazing though.

Turf or hard wicket?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby onthemove » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:06 pm

“Turf or hard wicket”
Turf !
No one knows who has access to it for footy or cricket and it’s nearly ready for use. ?
Maybe a option for another merger to take advantage of it . Lots of Sturt , East Torrens and Kensi lads are based up that way and some who play for Southerns play in AEHCA so it’s a good talent catchment area??!!
onthemove
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby tigerpie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:13 pm

This merger thing has got me stumped.
I would thought Adelaide and Sturt would've been a better fit.
Southerns not being able to succeed with the zone they had is crazy.
No district club south of Darlington/Glenelg is crazy.
I'd like to know how many fleurieu kids and parents can be bothered driving the extra k's everyday.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:29 am

And with the merger let’s not assume all the players in the higher grades are staying

The raiding parties are already in motion to take the best from both

A couple of the very best may have already committed
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:26 am

A few games delicately poised going into today

23 wickets yesterday in the internal trial at Bice Oval. Ben Pengelley a pair in a day. Adelaide take a 46 run lead into Day 2, 7 wickets in hand.

East Torrens recovered well after Chadd Sayers had them in knots early. Made 264 thanks to Ryan King's 100 and fifties to the Robins brothers. Glenelg 2/60 but Winter out probably has the Reds in front. Glenelg's line up looks a batter short?

Prospect 7/287 at Henley. Declare overnight?

Port 5/253 vs Kensington. Think they'd want a few more. Maybe 300

Uni 6/372 vs TTG 1/2. Uni flying

Jets 8/264 vs Sturt. Probably bat on I guess. Sturt have chased down some big scores previously.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby DOC » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am

tigerpie wrote:This merger thing has got me stumped.
I'd like to know how many fleurieu kids and parents can be bothered driving the extra k's everyday.

It just seems to me that to have no base in the entire area will see less players come through.

Reynella , Morphett Vale area perhaps?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby billy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:17 am

I will be surprised if the merged team has a lot of resemblance to what would be a best 11 of the 2 groups. As has been said there are some targets there and over the last few seasons there has been some noise coming out from a couple that would suggest they will be available.

I do agree, to have all that area past Darlington not connected to a club is a concern, that said the plan is to build a new facility closer to a central location between the 2 clubs. SACA have so much turnover in their staff that I will be surprised if the development officer positions will be of a lot of benefit. The idea that you fund 1 part of your business(a grade club) with development officers, but not do it with the rest of the business(the other grade clubs) is wrong in my opinion. What is even more detrimental is to have your board driving this whole process rather than your cricket operations people. In my view SD and ND should have remained clubs because of their physical location in this state.

The merger conversations are probably about 80% fake, a lot of this is because of the lack of trust and the laissez-fare approach to the merger process, from the key decision makers on the board.

When I buy a car, I don't go to the shop that doesn't advertise their product.

To threaten people when you are frustrated, will just take the process back 5 years and we all know what happened then!!

Another approach would be - Identify the clubs you want to merge, do the work to find out what they need and present them with an attractive proposal with all the bells and whistles and then move it on from there, adapting the proposal to make it palatable.

The process needs innovative, forward thinking leadership to work.

I
billy

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:25 am

DOC wrote:
tigerpie wrote:This merger thing has got me stumped.

It just seems to me that to have no base in the entire area will see less players come through.

Reynella , Morphett Vale area perhaps?

Covering old ground here but reynella was approached to join grade cricket back before southern was formed.
Apparently we had to change our name to southern districts and drop the reynella name.
Saca got told that we aren't changing our name, and the conversation ended there.
Christies got the nod.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:50 am

tigerpie wrote:Covering old ground here but reynella was approached to join grade cricket back before southern was formed.
Apparently we had to change our name to southern districts and drop the reynella name.
Saca got told that we aren't changing our name, and the conversation ended there.
Christies got the nod.

Wow, interesting!

How blinkered of SACA. Who cares what the name was?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:46 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Covering old ground here but reynella was approached to join grade cricket back before southern was formed.
Christies got the nod.

Wow, interesting!

How blinkered of SACA. Who cares what the name was?

Yeah pretty narrow minded.

Other than that it may well have been us.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby no_remorse28 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:03 pm

There has been a hit of talk around ATCA on satuedays of a team moving further north to Gawler way.

Any one else heard similar, can we expect more changes.
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:48 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:There has been a hit of talk around ATCA on satuedays of a team moving further north to Gawler way.

There was talk a while ago about Northern Districts relocating to Gawler and tapping in closer to the Barossa & other northern country areas

Not sure if that's what they're referring to
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:58 pm

Big wins for East Torrens and Sturt today.

Ladder after 9 rounds

140 University
140 Kensington*
120 East Torrens
110 Sturt

100 Glenelg
100 West Torrens*
70 Adelaide*
65 Port Adelaide
60 Woodville
60 Tea Tree Gully
45 Prospect*
40 Northern Districts
40 Southern District

*bye to come

Couple of important games this round:

Round 10 matches
Adelaide v Tea Tree Gully
East Torrens v Northern Districts
Port Adelaide v Woodville
Sturt v Kensington
University v Glenelg

Prospect v Southern District
West Torrens BYE
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:11 pm

A couple of observations having watch A grade all year

A number of batters seem to score big quite frequently, how do they get a go at the next level?

The overall standard of umpiring is poor
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:And with the merger let’s not assume all the players in the higher grades are staying

Was no surprise to see Southerns lose outright today. Heard none of their players turned up to training on Thursday night after the merger was announced at 4pm. They were totally blind sided and knew nothing about it. That is quite odd they had no inkling. Reckon it may not be their last outright loss this season!

Do feel for the players, reckon lots of the older players will retire or go to Turf. The only way they will be competitive is if all the gun players stick around, but heard a few been sounded out as you say. Valente be the most obvious target, the merged club really needs to keep him, pay some guns to stay, or could be a disaster!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:23 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:And with the merger let’s not assume all the players in the higher grades are staying

Was no surprise to see Southerns lose outright today. Heard none of their players turned up to training on Thursday night after the merger was announced at 4pm. They were totally blind sided and knew nothing about it. That is quite odd they had no inkling. Reckon it may not be their last outright loss this season!

Do feel for the players, reckon lots of the older players will retire or go to Turf. The only way they will be competitive is if all the gun players stick around, but heard a few been sounded out as you say. Valente be the most obvious target, the merged club really needs to keep him, pay some guns to stay, or could be a disaster!

Can't see at least 3 of Southerns top players going to the merged entity. They will go to either a rival Grade club or ATCA.

Effectively its Southern Districts folding and being taken over. Playing out of both Adelaide CC home grounds I assume until their promised facility is built. Cant believe SACA would entertain the idea of having no presence south of Flinders University.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Gosaints » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:18 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
no_remorse28 wrote:There has been a hit of talk around ATCA on satuedays of a team moving further north to Gawler way.

There was talk a while ago about Northern Districts relocating to Gawler and tapping in closer to the Barossa & other northern country areas

Not sure if that's what they're referring to

I am hearing similar stories of a relocation of a club further north. not surprised it is being discussed around atca circles as the link is obvious.

fits given less travel south in the future.

any gawler barossa peeps aware of saca pumping dollars into the area for infrastructure under a deal with local government.
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Gosaints » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 am

billy wrote:I will be surprised if the merged team has a lot of resemblance to what would be a best 11 of the 2 groups. As has been said there are some targets there and over the last few seasons there has been some noise coming out from a couple that would suggest they will be available.

I do agree, to have all that area past Darlington not connected to a club is a concern, that said the plan is to build a new facility closer to a central location between the 2 clubs. SACA have so much turnover in their staff that I will be surprised if the development officer positions will be of a lot of benefit. The idea that you fund 1 part of your business(a grade club) with development officers, but not do it with the rest of the business(the other grade clubs) is wrong in my opinion. What is even more detrimental is to have your board driving this whole process rather than your cricket operations people. In my view SD and ND should have remained clubs because of their physical location in this state.

The merger conversations are probably about 80% fake, a lot of this is because of the lack of trust and the laissez-fare approach to the merger process, from the key decision makers on the board.

When I buy a car, I don't go to the shop that doesn't advertise their product.

To threaten people when you are frustrated, will just take the process back 5 years and we all know what happened then!!

Another approach would be - Identify the clubs you want to merge, do the work to find out what they need and present them with an attractive proposal with all the bells and whistles and then move it on from there, adapting the proposal to make it palatable.

The process needs innovative, forward thinking leadership to work.

I

huh?
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:29 am

heater31 wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Can't see at least 3 of Southerns top players going to the merged entity. They will go to either a rival Grade club or ATCA.

Effectively its Southern Districts folding and being taken over. Playing out of both Adelaide CC home grounds I assume until their promised facility is built. Cant believe SACA would entertain the idea of having no presence south of Flinders University.

Could an option be the old Panther Park (now Kenilworth FC)? Hasn't that recently had an upgrade (i.e. new club/changerooms and lighting?) and could that be a possibility of having a pitch square put in?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Aerie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am

Once a club is gone, it’s gone and good people are lost to the game.

If I was head honcho, I’d be looking at providing the Southerns club with money to facilitate an upgrade of Bice Oval and be looking at the new Aldinga complex as a junior centre for the club, without merging, unless Adelaide want to commit to moving fully south.

I’d be looking at starting up a club, or facilitating a move for an existing club, using the new Mt Barker sporting complex.

I’d be facilitating a move for Northerns or an expansion to Gawler for junior grades.

That would make 14 clubs (13 with juniors).

I’d admit the top performing 8 A Grade clubs to play Premier Cricket.

Those 8 clubs play their B Grade against the A grade of the remaining 6 clubs.

If one of those 6 clubs win the B Grade premiership, they replace the wooden spooner and join Premier Cricket.

If there are clubs putting their hands up for mergers willingly along the way, then go for it.

I can’t see how South Australian cricket improves without providing good quality cricket hubs in locations where the people are (I.e. down south, hills, northern areas).

Encourage the best kids to play above their age level for that competitive edge, providing they’re performing to warrant their spot.

Each club has one U13, one U15, one U17, a 2nd Grade and 1st Grade. 3rd or 4th Grades are optional depending on the club.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps