South Adelaide in 1989

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

South Adelaide in 1989

Postby Fluffbag » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:56 am

Seeing the Crows win 2 in a row reminded me of when South lost 20 odd games in a row (some by very large margins) and then win 5 out of the next 7 games so it is amazing how teams suddenly remember how to win again
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: South Adelaide in 1989

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Reckon we beat Norwood at Footy Park to break the run.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Fluffbag » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm

Yes, we beat Norwood during the first game of a double header, and I remember the radio commentary saying that Gordon Gatti almost doing a lap of honour after a goal in the last quarter

The one game I wish I saw but missed.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Postby Magellan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Very much a coaching baptism of fire for John Reid in 1988 and into 1989. Paid dividends with finals appearances from 1990 to 1992. I recall being very surprised hearing that South had easily accounted for Norwood in the 1990 elimination final.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Magellan wrote:Very much a coaching baptism of fire for John Reid in 1988 and into 1989. Paid dividends with finals appearances from 1990 to 1992. I recall being very surprised hearing that South had easily accounted for Norwood in the 1990 elimination final.

I wasn't - Norwood (imho) at their best had a genuine Premiership worthy side that year. But the rot had set in, injuries started mounting and there was some off-field issues that had previously festered but came to the fore late in the season. Norwood were ripe for the picking and South were on a roll and playing good free-spirited footy. A not unexpected end to a disappointing season that had promised so much about 2 months prior.

Come to think of it we're quite a self-destructive club at times lol and when things fall apart, they do so on a Crows20 kinda scale.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Fluffbag » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Magellan wrote:Very much a coaching baptism of fire for John Reid in 1988 and into 1989. Paid dividends with finals appearances from 1990 to 1992. I recall being very surprised hearing that South had easily accounted for Norwood in the 1990 elimination final.

Am I right in thinking John Reid applied for the South Coaching role previously and was passed over, and this time the club went to him.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm

JK wrote:

I wasn't - Norwood (imho) at their best had a genuine Premiership worthy side that year. But the rot had set in, injuries started mounting and there was some off-field issues that had previously festered but came to the fore late in the season. Norwood were ripe for the picking and South were on a roll and playing good free-spirited footy. A not unexpected end to a disappointing season that had promised so much about 2 months prior.

Come to think of it we're quite a self-destructive club at times lol and when things fall apart, they do so on a Crows20 kinda scale.

Yeah, this was also a bit like Woodville beating Norwood in 86, the Legs were favourites on reputation and finals experience, but on pure footy South and Woodville were playing better.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby JK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
JK wrote:

Yeah, this was also a bit like Woodville beating Norwood in 86, the Legs were favourites on reputation and finals experience, but on pure footy South and Woodville were playing better.

Yep absolutely mate, Norwood we’re playing on reputation in 86’ and only fell into the finals after winning at Alberton in the last minor round (IIRC). Woodville rightly stuffed us in the Elim .. Pretty handy side they had that year and they were excellent to watch.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Hondo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pm

JK wrote:Yep absolutely mate, Norwood we’re playing on reputation in 86’ and only fell into the finals after winning at Alberton in the last minor round (IIRC). Woodville rightly stuffed us in the Elim .. Pretty handy side they had that year and they were excellent to watch.

YouTube now has the highlights of that 86 Elimination Final and it's a great watch. Also now has the full 86 1st Semi Final Port v Woodville which I haven't watched.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum