Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 pm

the smokey wrote:
onthemove wrote:Any thoughts on what way the PCC vote will go tonight re age groups and 4th grade?
When will the result be known?

My understanding is the vote is on the 17th.

I believe that the senior vote will pass and the junior vote will depend on the answers on the night which will probably mean that will not pass.
I just hope when the senior vote passes and it should that grade cricket and ATCA get their programs aligned for the first time in a long time

Heard ATCA already have their dates sorted, so would be up to SACA now. Agree has to be aligned or it just does not work!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am

The Hound wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Is that when they will also vote on the changes to 4th Grade & juniors?

The clubs are currently providing there position to SACA on the recommendations and the PCC will discuss/vote any proposed changes at that meeting

I know there's mention of all this happening on Friday this week (17th). Is this also because everyone is waiting on the Hussey report, which I think is due to be handed down soon (I don't know how wide the scope of the review is but would imagine it should also cover Grade/junior cricket)?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Trader » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
the smokey wrote:
onthemove wrote:Any thoughts on what way the PCC vote will go tonight re age groups and 4th grade?

I believe that the senior vote will pass and the junior vote will depend on the answers on the night which will probably mean that will not pass.
I just hope when the senior vote passes and it should that grade cricket and ATCA get their programs aligned for the first time in a long time

Heard ATCA already have their dates sorted, so would be up to SACA now. Agree has to be aligned or it just does not work!

Correct, ATCA dates are already set and have been released to the clubs, and on the ATCA page.
Up to SACA if they want to line up with them or not.

FWIW, I heard SACA would proceed with D-grade in 2020/21, however the whites in the junior grades are in doubt. Who knows if that's reality or not.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Trader wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
the smokey wrote:

Correct, ATCA dates are already set and have been released to the clubs, and on the ATCA page.
Up to SACA if they want to line up with them or not.

FWIW, I heard SACA would proceed with D-grade in 2020/21, however the whites in the junior grades are in doubt. Who knows if that's reality or not.

4th Grade to go ahead, think vote was 7 to 6, interesting! any bets on how many forfeits there will be in that grade.
With a delay to the season and some SANFL clubs starting Under 16 and Under 18 pre-season in November could be hard for clubs to fill aide with youngsters.
17's changed to under 18's and Under 12's gone. My understanding is 14's to 16's to stay as is.
Ocean Pony's 6th team in Women's first grade.
Hussey report recommendations delivered to clubs tomorrow night.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby the smokey » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:07 pm

4th Grade to go ahead, think vote was 7 to 6, interesting! any bets on how many forfeits there will be in that grade.
With a delay to the season and some SANFL clubs starting Under 16 and Under 18 pre-season in November could be hard for clubs to fill aide with youngsters.
17's changed to under 18's and Under 12's gone. My understanding is 14's to 16's to stay as is.
Hussey report recommendations delivered to clubs tomorrow night.[/quote]

Once again the PCC and SACA have been given a chance to better cricket in SA and have failed to do so. Clubs that wanted the 4th grade are obviously more interested in the $$ that they will receive rather than bettering the standard of Grade Cricket from top to bottom. This is understandable from purely a financial perspective but surely there needs to be an eye on the future and trying to lift the overall standard of grade cricket.

It Will be interesting to see if this is revisited again ready for 2021/2022 - Also the recommendations in the report are potentially going to be as pointless as the last report they ordered if their arent people that are willing to implement the changes that are needed and required.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 pm

the smokey wrote:4th Grade to go ahead, think vote was 7 to 6, interesting! any bets on how many forfeits there will be in that grade.

Once again the PCC and SACA have been given a chance to better cricket in SA and have failed to do so. Clubs that wanted the 4th grade are obviously more interested in the $$ that they will receive rather than bettering the standard of Grade Cricket from top to bottom. This is understandable from purely a financial perspective but surely there needs to be an eye on the future and trying to lift the overall standard of grade cricket.

It Will be interesting to see if this is revisited again ready for 2021/2022 - Also the recommendations in the report are potentially going to be as pointless as the last report they ordered if their arent people that are willing to implement the changes that are needed and required.[/quote]

Yet again the Grade clubs let down SA cricket. Typical nanny state mentality that is resistant to any kind of change. If you keep doing the same thing you will get the same result, its madness.
Time for SACA to start a new comp and invite 8 or 10 clubs to be part of it, with funding carrots. The ones who dont get invited get no funding and can go and play in the ATCA
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Minimum Chips » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 pm

the smokey wrote:4th Grade to go ahead, think vote was 7 to 6, interesting! any bets on how many forfeits there will be in that grade.

Sorry - don't mean to sound out of line here but is there anything stopping all 6 clubs who voted against the 4th Grade just not putting a team in (i.e. all forfeiting)? This then may force PCC's hand?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:

Sorry - don't mean to sound out of line here but is there anything stopping all 6 clubs who voted against the 4th Grade just not putting a team in (i.e. all forfeiting)? This then may force PCC's hand?

Do Clubs that forfeit games get a fine? Lots of sports they do.

I like the idea used in Queensland where it is optional for Clubs to field a 4th Grade team, so you could have a 7 team comp, everyone plays each other twice, and the other six clubs are not required to field a team if they choose. Everyone is happy that way!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Whether there’s a 4th Grade or not won’t make an iota of difference to the standard of Grade cricket.

It would just be a pain in the ass for the clubs that have to find fill-ins all the time.

As Eagles2014 mentions, should just be optional for each club. It’s no big deal either way except for the clubs trying g to make up numbers.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby maxi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:12 am

I can remember playing E grade that was optional I reckon it was about an 8 team comp

Not involved closely in grade scene is that hard to get 44 players each Saturday?

School cricket is a killer 200 lads playing each Saturday afternoon would be helpful if they played midweek
maxi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am

maxi wrote:I can remember playing E grade that was optional I reckon it was about an 8 team comp

Not involved closely in grade scene is that hard to get 44 players each Saturday?

School cricket is a killer 200 lads playing each Saturday afternoon would be helpful if they played midweek

It shouldn't be.

Clubs have a dozen or more Under 16 players moving up into seniors every single season.

Some clubs seem to be able to retain a number of these players, others don't. It doesn't seem to be discussed much why some clubs retain more of their players than others.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:34 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
maxi wrote:I can remember playing E grade that was optional I reckon it was about an 8 team comp

It shouldn't be.

Clubs have a dozen or more Under 16 players moving up into seniors every single season.

Some clubs seem to be able to retain a number of these players, others don't. It doesn't seem to be discussed much why some clubs retain more of their players than others.
CA seem to beat their chest about participation numbers but do they recount their participation numbers of particular age groups.

In my experience you see a drop off of a few moving from juniors to seniors then within 3 years those that make the transition into seniors drop off again within 3 years. By the time they are 21 its less than half still playing. They don't go to community clubs either they just stop playing altogether!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 am

You only need a small percentage of them to continue playing to fill your teams each season
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am

Just seems very backwards to me.

BECAUSE we don't retain many (any?) of our Under 16s each season

And BECAUSE we also leak senior players each season

We find it very hard to fill our 4th Grade team.

Solution: Let's get rid of the 4th Grade team.

Problem solved!

Hang on...???

What is the actual issue here? What is the problem that needs solving?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aerie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:07 pm

The main issue with numbers and 4th Grade (or whichever Grade is the last one) is when you have a mix of college players, state players and injuries. It’s not easy having the extra 4-5 players (or however many it is) in a squad who are there to make up the numbers when the above players are absent, but then won’t get a game if a full squad is available. Often a number might get told to go play for their turf club if numbers are good in pre-season, only to have a shortage of players if injuries hit.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Aerie wrote:The main issue with numbers and 4th Grade (or whichever Grade is the last one) is when you have a mix of college players, state players and injuries. It’s not easy having the extra 4-5 players (or however many it is) in a squad who are there to make up the numbers when the above players are absent, but then won’t get a game if a full squad is available. Often a number might get told to go play for their turf club if numbers are good in pre-season, only to have a shortage of players if injuries hit.

If this is a problem for the last grade won't the problem just get transferred up a grade if 4th Grade was removed?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Arch44 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 am

Dgrade cricket at Grade level is a farce and has been for a while. I have said this before my son (22) now, in his 1st year at senior level straight out of 16s one his clubs Dgrade bowling trophy, the following year he couldn't get a game because of older blokes in there 40s and 50s were being selected first. Surely grade cricket is about prepping guys coming through with the hope of playing shield cricket?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Hound » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:03 am

Arch44 wrote:Dgrade cricket at Grade level is a farce and has been for a while. I have said this before my son (22) now, in his 1st year at senior level straight out of 16s one his clubs Dgrade bowling trophy, the following year he couldn't get a game because of older blokes in there 40s and 50s were being selected first. Surely grade cricket is about prepping guys coming through with the hope of playing shield cricket?

Arch44 - is he still playing with that club?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 am

Arch44 wrote:Dgrade cricket at Grade level is a farce and has been for a while. I have said this before my son (22) now, in his 1st year at senior level straight out of 16s one his clubs Dgrade bowling trophy, the following year he couldn't get a game because of older blokes in there 40s and 50s were being selected first. Surely grade cricket is about prepping guys coming through with the hope of playing shield cricket?

Again though, what do you think the problem with the scenario you described is?

Is it the existence of a 4th Grade?

Or is it a club choosing not to select a young cricketer doing well in preference to 40 and 50 year olds?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

Tony Clifton wrote:

Again though, what do you think the problem with the scenario you described is?

Is it the existence of a 4th Grade?

Or is it a club choosing not to select a young cricketer doing well in preference to 40 and 50 year olds?
The latter in my opinion......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps