Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 am

Booney wrote:Even in Adelaide people defend Trump. :lol:

Even in Adelaide they attack Trump! :lol: ;)

The USA's numbers look worse cause of their size.

Looking at a per capita basis, their handling of it doesn't seem quite so bad (still hasn't been great).

Granted different countries are at different stages of their curves, so these numbers will shift over time, but right now, the US are mid-table (but climbing quickly).

Cases/Million population:
Spain 3723
Switzerland 2997
Italy 2687
Belgium 2685
Ireland 2325
France 2195
USA 1855
Netherlands 1600
Germany 1578
UK 1383
Sweden 1133
Canada 717
Singapore 556
NZ 283
Australia 251

It is also worth noting the above is likely to be somewhat distorted as countries have different criteria for allowing a test to occur.

Deaths / Million is a much more representative stat, but once again, some countries are counting differently (ie: only including those that made it to hospital).

Spain 390
Belgium 359
Italy 348
France 241
UK 178
Netherlands 172
Switzerland 136
Sweden 102
Ireland 82
USA 79
Germany 42
Canada 24
NZ 2
Singapore 2
Australia 2

I expect the USA to continue to climb up that ladder over the next month as they are still in their peak, rather than coming off like a lot of the European countries are. Will be interesting to see if they make it to the top of the list.
The way some people are talking you'd expect they are already there and double second place.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:39 am

Dutchy wrote:Only chance for local footy is to push the season back a month to late October, which would be possible with cricket assistance.

Most cricket clubs would oblige given that footy is the financial lifeline of many clubs, there are obvious exceptions though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 am

Booney wrote:Mr President, the American people are concerned about your response to COVID-19, how do you answer that criticism?

"We're already developing COVID-20, they say it's out in New York. They love it, just ask anyone. I'd rate it a ten out of ten. People say it's more biggly and the most massive-est COVID yet, better than the one from Chaiiiii-na."
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:Also, any press conference held by Trump these days is a simply substitute for a political rally.

Mr President, the American people are concerned about your response to COVID-19, how do you answer that criticism?

Did somebody say KFC?

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 am

Also interesting to look at deaths per cases. Gives a rough indication of how well your health system is standing up.
Big surprise for me is how badly Belgium is doing.

Belgium 13.35% of cases result in death
Italy 12.96
UK 12.90
France 10.97
Netherlands 10.74
Spain 10.49
Sweden 9.03

Switzerland 4.52
USA 4.25
Ireland 3.53
Canada 3.33
Germany 2.64

Australia 0.95
NZ 0.66
Singapore 0.31

Once again, criteria for reporting death figures, allowing testing to confirm total number of cases, and the point at which you are in your curve all mean the above come with somewhat of an asterisk, but it is certainly interesting to see those three clear clumps emerge.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Bandit » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 pm

^^^ cheers @Trader the numbers you put up in those last few posts give great perspective, not something i'd seen anywhere else.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:15 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:Mr President, the American people are concerned about your response to COVID-19, how do you answer that criticism?

"We're already developing COVID-20, they say it's out in New York. They love it, just ask anyone. I'd rate it a ten out of ten. People say it's more biggly and the most massive-est COVID yet, better than the one from Chaiiiii-na."

Chyn-a. It's Chyn-a.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:24 pm

Trader wrote:I expect the USA to continue to climb up that ladder over the next month as they are still in their peak, rather than coming off like a lot of the European countries are. Will be interesting to see if they make it to the top of the list.

The US has yet to peak, with some 620,000 cases they are already ahead of Spain, Italy, France and Germany combined. Combined.

Spain ( 12,000 ), Italy ( 17,000 ) Germany ( 15,000 ) tests per million compared to the US ( 9000 ) test per million suggests they'd tested more people per capita and have less confirmed. The US is still surging. Australia ( 14,000 ) per million for comparison.

The numbers from the US, already alarming, are yet to be anywhere near their peak (total numbers), although they are noticing a decline in new daily cases, somewhat sobering to think a day of 25,000 cases is some good news.

The fact is the President gave his people no cause for alarm in the early stages. Our PM, dislike him as I do, closed the pubs and we snapped to attention. Completely different population density, etc etc, but nonetheless King Tangerine didn't help the cause early.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Trader wrote:

Looking at a per capita basis, their handling of it doesn't seem quite so bad (still hasn't been great).

Granted different countries are at different stages of their curves, so these numbers will shift over time, but right now, the US are mid-table (but climbing quickly).

Spain 3723
Switzerland 2997
Italy 2687
Belgium 2685
Ireland 2325
France 2195
USA 1855
Netherlands 1600
Germany 1578
UK 1383
Sweden 1133
Canada 717
Singapore 556
NZ 283
Australia 251

It is also worth noting the above is likely to be somewhat distorted as countries have different criteria for allowing a test to occur.

Deaths / Million is a much more representative stat, but once again, some countries are counting differently (ie: only including those that made it to hospital).

Spain 390
Belgium 359
Italy 348
France 241
UK 178
Netherlands 172
Switzerland 136
Sweden 102
Ireland 82
USA 79
Germany 42
Canada 24
NZ 2
Singapore 2
Australia 2

I expect the USA to continue to climb up that ladder over the next month as they are still in their peak, rather than coming off like a lot of the European countries are. Will be interesting to see if they make it to the top of the list.
The way some people are talking you'd expect they are already there and double second place.

Australia, 2 deaths per million and we are putting up with this shit like good obedient little sheep.
Anyone seen the article that the government are about to roll out an app for your phone that tracks your every movement, all in the name of your personal safety of course. The real agenda is starting to show itself now. Welcome to the Communist China Party of Australia
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Using per capita as a comparison function for infectious disease is a flawed practice. It skews against countries with smaller populations and/or higher population density.
Last edited by Q. on Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Trader wrote:

Spain 3723
Switzerland 2997
Italy 2687
Belgium 2685
Ireland 2325
France 2195
USA 1855
Netherlands 1600
Germany 1578
UK 1383
Sweden 1133
Canada 717
Singapore 556
NZ 283
Australia 251

Spain 390
Belgium 359
Italy 348
France 241
UK 178
Netherlands 172
Switzerland 136
Sweden 102
Ireland 82
USA 79
Germany 42
Canada 24
NZ 2
Singapore 2
Australia 2

Australia, 2 deaths per million and we are putting up with this shit like good obedient little sheep.
Anyone seen the article that the government are about to roll out an app for your phone that tracks your every movement, all in the name of your personal safety of course. The real agenda is starting to show itself now. Welcome to the Communist China Party of Australia

I have to admit i am somewhat slightly 'scared' at the speed and ease with which the government can take all our rights and assume control over us.

At present i feel like im in a state of 'barely' living.

I mentioned yesterday but now that the government know they can legitimately enforce such regulations it would be a fool to suggest these measurements will only be used for 'pandemics' in the future.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jase » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:He literally has blood on his hands, his handling of this has been nothing short of catastrophic.

I feel sick thinking about what the US has in front of it and there's no doubt much of it is a direct result of that brain dead moron's view.

Trump's just cut US funding of the WHO on what seems to be punitive grounds - i.e. that it had promoted China's "disinformation" about the virus that likely led to a wider outbreak of the virus than otherwise would have occurred.

I'm no expert, but cutting funding to the WHO, irrespective if you thought they've done a good job or not in the past, might also lead to a wider outbreak of the virus than otherwise would have occurred.

Also, any press conference held by Trump these days is a simply substitute for a political rally. Blaming China (who probably do bear liability for this whole thing) at this stage is simply nothing more than a convenient political sound-byte and rallying-cry for his base.

Even a sucker for Trump's convenient scapegoating should realise that a fully functioning/funded WHO is necessary to end the global pandemic sooner rather than later in order to restore a global economy.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:51 pm

A minor change to correct the **** up with Prancing Pony Brewery.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:51 pm

whufc wrote:I mentioned yesterday but now that the government know they can legitimately enforce such regulations it would be a fool to suggest these measurements will only be used for 'pandemics' in the future.

Yeah, nah, not everything you read on Facebook is real.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Q. wrote:Using per capita as a comparison function for infectious disease is a flawed practice. It skews against countries with smaller populations.

Against?
It skews in both directions.
If you have one more death than expected, it shoots you to top, equally if you have one less death than expected, it shoots you to the bottom.

I think you'll find other than NZ, every country of the 15 listed above are not small.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:I mentioned yesterday but now that the government know they can legitimately enforce such regulations it would be a fool to suggest these measurements will only be used for 'pandemics' in the future.

Yeah, nah, not everything you read on Facebook is real.

Its got nothing to do with facebook.

After Covid-19, these measurements are a legitimate action and successful way to ease the burden on the medical system. The fact is that it isnt just pandemics that overload our health system.

Tin foil hat time- The use of lockdown measures eg 'non essential travel' on Catastrophic Fire Days will be discussed at parliament level next Summer.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Trader » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Q. wrote:Using per capita as a comparison function for infectious disease is a flawed practice. It skews against countries with smaller populations and/or higher population density.

Just saw your edit, yes, agreed Population density is a big factor in the spread of these diseases that is not taking into account with either per capita or raw aggregate stats.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Q. wrote:

A minor change to correct the **** up with Prancing Pony Brewery.

Thankfully, PPB are great people just trying to keep their head above the water, some idiot thought their takeaway service would attract tourists :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:00 pm

I note in the past fortnight QANTAS have extended their initial May 31 deadline to get an airfare credit on purchased tickets, to July 31.

Probably gives an indication on how long travel restrictions will be in place for.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion