COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:31 am

Jim05 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Be serious, everyone is sitting back waiting for someone to be the first to make a move and action around this.. AdFL are the largest Community football organisation in this state - they pull the pin, I’ll guarantee everyone else will too.

Would think though AdFL would get their direction from Community Football Board and/or SANFL/AFL - along with everyone else.

Actually, given BLG do get more than a couple cats and dogs to their games, and the nation wide ban on gatherings is in place, how do you think that’ll impact your wonderful comp? ;)
As I said the BL&G should be acting on government advice not some clowns advice from the AdFL. As it stands the government has advised against crowds of 500 or more so the BL&G and most other country leagues would have to suspend the season. AdFL can play on ;)

Tell me Jim, who's the clown from the AdFL?

and do you really think that this clown makes up his or her own advice, as opposed to acting on Government or AFL protocols.

and finally, there are waaaay more than 2 dogs that go to games but are you're off your rocker if you think that cats actually go to football matches ;) :lol:
I meant clowns as in plural.
You would be very surprised at the contempt most people in the country have for your precious league.
The country leagues should be basing their decisions solely on what the government says

They're not going to go by the AdFL, they're going to go by the Community Football League or the SANFL.

So we're all getting our info from the same clowns ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby S Demon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:32 am

daysofourlives wrote:
BigB wrote:Local footy crowds are not huge and tend to be dispersed around the ground. Not like sitting in a crammed stadium. So risk is lower, but not zero.
If everyone takes personal responsibility for their social behaviors it won't be a major source of cross contamination, but everything's on the table for now.
The question is, if a footy club is denied it's income for even part of the year, what compensation will apply? Do we qualify as a small business and get some assistance? Some clubs could go to the wall if they are unable to operate a bar, events etc.
Tough times.

Pretty much nil expenses if they are not playing or training, whats the issue? Unless you have paid sign on fees (against the rules) or are paying players per season rather than per game

Nil expenses for the footy club maybe, the Sporting Club will still have bills to pay..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 am

Jim05 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Be serious, everyone is sitting back waiting for someone to be the first to make a move and action around this.. AdFL are the largest Community football organisation in this state - they pull the pin, I’ll guarantee everyone else will too.

Would think though AdFL would get their direction from Community Football Board and/or SANFL/AFL - along with everyone else.

Actually, given BLG do get more than a couple cats and dogs to their games, and the nation wide ban on gatherings is in place, how do you think that’ll impact your wonderful comp? ;)
As I said the BL&G should be acting on government advice not some clowns advice from the AdFL. As it stands the government has advised against crowds of 500 or more so the BL&G and most other country leagues would have to suspend the season. AdFL can play on ;)

Tell me Jim, who's the clown from the AdFL?

and do you really think that this clown makes up his or her own advice, as opposed to acting on Government or AFL protocols.

and finally, there are waaaay more than 2 dogs that go to games but are you're off your rocker if you think that cats actually go to football matches ;) :lol:
I meant clowns as in plural.
You would be very surprised at the contempt most people in the country have for your precious league.
The country leagues should be basing their decisions solely on what the government says

And you would be very surprised at the contempt many people in the AdFL have for some of the precious country leagues. Last time I checked the clubs that have been caught out breaking SACFL rules have all been country clubs, not to mention how weak many country league tribunals are in dealing with blokes who should no longer be allowed to play the game. And doesn't your league have a corporate arrangement with the biggest clown of the lot.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby S Demon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm

AFL to postpone the start of the season by 6-8 weeks apparently..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm

SANFL to start May 31st so would think AdFL will follow suit
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:SANFL to start May 31st so would think AdFL will follow suit

Actually it's been suspended until May 31, which means that this is the potential review date, not the start date...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby bandar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Is there a reasonable chance all affiliated leagues would folllow suit?
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Fricky » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:18 pm

bandar wrote:Is there a reasonable chance all affiliated leagues would folllow suit?

Kernahan was just on MMM and said is likely AdFL will follow the SANFL and other state leagues and postpone the start of the season.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 pm

The AFL will play until someone is sick and a club is therefore disadvantaged. The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about what sort of situation we are in as a country.

The one positive is the extension of Adelaides greatest Summer Sporting Show “The Igloo” which takes place on Saturday nights. Browny, Bradles, D King and Hendry talk sport, geography and dead set garbage from all angles for 2 hours.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:The AFL will play until someone is sick and a club is therefore disadvantaged. The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about what sort of situation we are in as a country.

The one positive is the extension of Adelaides greatest Summer Sporting Show “The Igloo” which takes place on Saturday nights. Browny, Bradles, D King and Hendry talk sport, geography and dead set garbage from all angles for 2 hours.

and where can one hear such experts discuss their craft? :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby shoe boy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:41 am

The SANFL decision to start 31/May would be a financial decision due too playing behind closed gates and no revenue to pay players and support .

Playing football is not an issue , the gathering of peoples is.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Sass! » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 am

shoe boy wrote:

The SANFL decision to start 31/May would be a financial decision due too playing behind closed gates and no revenue to pay players and support .

And if there is no AFL or SANFL to watch, where do you think the people will gather to get their football fix? You cant lock people out of a community football ground unless its completely fenced off and that leaves only a few grounds to host matches across AdFL.

Its ludicrous to think that our Community Football League can avoid the spread of infection better than a State or National League could. It would take one player from a club to get the virus and not show any symptoms before it has spread to countless others. Our club like most have a lot of older members that are the heart and soul of our community, I would hate to see any decision be made that could potentially jeopardise their welfare.

Everyone will have an opinion on this, social media makes that clear. but I would be very surprised to think that our league will go against the grain on this one because we think that playing football alone wont be a risk. Our clubs are just as reliant on crowds and attendance to run as other leagues are.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 am

shoe boy wrote:

Although I agree with your first statement, I believe playing footy against semi or non professionals is a large part of the issue, AFL players can afford to isolate themselves from public places, SANFL and below still need to work and their movements cannot be monitored as a whole.

I seen it first hand on the weekend, after the game a bloke went to shake another blokes hand and then looked to me and asked "Are we allowed to shake hands?"

I replied with "Well you just spent the last two hours tackling each other so I think the horse has bolted mate"

Trying to contain it while community sport goes ahead is pointless, with around 90 games a weekend in the AdFL mens alone, we see roughly 4000 players playing each week, these 4000 players play the following week against a new set of people who have caught trains, dined, shopped and done who knows what else during the week, it just simply can't go ahead if we plan to contain it.

I'm not scared of contracting it, I'm scared of being a carrier though and it being passed on through me and infecting an infant or an elderly family member.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Pag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Although I agree with your first statement, I believe playing footy against semi or non professionals is a large part of the issue, AFL players can afford to isolate themselves from public places, SANFL and below still need to work and there movements cannot be monitored as a whole.

I seen it first hand on the weekend, after the game a bloke went to shake another blokes hand and then looked to me and asked "Are we allowed to shake hands?"

I replied with "Well you just spent the last two hours tackling each other so I think the horse has bolted mate"

Trying to contain it while community sport goes ahead is pointless, with around 90 games a weekend in the AdFL mens alone, we see roughly 4000 players playing each week, these 4000 players play the following week against a new set of people who have caught trains, dined, shopped and done who knows what else during the week, it just simply can't go ahead if we plan to contain it.

I'm not scared of contracting it, I'm scared of being a carrier though and it being passed on through me and infecting an infant or an elderly family member.

This.

The league have their hands tied, would be irresponsible of them to encourage people to keep playing and attending footy games on mass if the rest of society is giving up their hobbies/interests for a while for the greater good.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby football tragic » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 am

I think everyone is missing the big issue here
If you allow everyone to go to work this issue will not improve
They are picking on soft targets like sport which wont stop this from spreading, the only thing that might is a complete lockdown which our government are too soft to do. So you can go to work but cant play football...….I can guarantee you see and have direct contact with more people in your working week than for 2 hours playing football on a weekend
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:16 am

football tragic wrote:I think everyone is missing the big issue here
They are picking on soft targets like sport which wont stop this from spreading, the only thing that might is a complete lockdown which our government are too soft to do. So you can go to work but cant play football...….I can guarantee you see and have direct contact with more people in your working week than for 2 hours playing football on a weekend

Not sure about your line of work but I tend to not grapple or tackle my work colleagues and generally don't have mine and their sweat rubbing together, generally I stress.

I'd imagine most workplaces have had extensive toolbox talks and measures in place to minimize the chance of spreading the virus.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 am

I reckon a shortened season starting after the June long weekend will prove a godsend for football.

Those who play summer sport will get a break, those who are keen for footy will be chomping at the bit, those who are half committed or unsure about playing are more likely to be interested if it's only a 9 round season.. also gives clubs a little more time to find support staff and/or ease the burden on volunteers.. events might be better supported after 3 months of being hermits.

Personally i'm excited, I literally roll from cricket to footy and back again with overlap at the ends of each season.. it's a drain and i'm looking forward to recharging the batteries.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:21 am

football tragic wrote:I think everyone is missing the big issue here

At my work, we had to sign a self-assessment declaration, and carry a copy at all times.
Kitchen stuff like coffee/tea/milk/biscuits etc have all been removed.
Social distancing requirements enforced including no more than 4 people in a lift at one time.
Hand sanitisers everywhere and instructions on washing hands
Half the staff are also working from home.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby football tragic » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:27 am

I work in a Gym where you stand and sweat in close proximity to the person alongside you.
You also have no measures of checking these people follow the hygiene standards
If you have 100 people in a gym sweating and training together you cannot argue it isn't the same as training and playing football.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 am

We aren’t going to avoid the spread of the Virus, it’s a global pandemic and we are coming in to peak virus season as we are all more likely to head indoors and closely interact with others more than we would during warmer months. By slowing the virus and staggering it it at least let’s the country prepare effectively when peak season hits rather than forcing our hand in 3-4 weeks when most of the World will have much more serious issues. We won’t be playing before the June long weekend at best let’s be real. Hopefully the news out of Brisbane this morning that testing the HIV and Malaria Meds has proven successful in initial testing turns out to be true once tested on humans.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League