2019-20 NBL Season + Off-season news

Re: 2019-20 NBL Season

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 am

Hole. E. Cow!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:27 am

Loving the honesty but one thing, if he knew about this why come and play this season?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

Brodlach wrote:Loving the honesty but one thing, if he knew about this why come and play this season?

sounds like it all came from this year except for the punch which he probably found out about during the year
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:33 am

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:06 pm

MW wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Loving the honesty but one thing, if he knew about this why come and play this season?

sounds like it all came from this year except for the punch which he probably found out about during the year

He already knew about the punch because I even knew about it and mentioned it on here. Not defending it anyway but Sobey held the team hostage last season demanding to be played at PG it wasn't working and the team went backwards, now he's in Brisbane as their PG and their team went backwards too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Brodlach wrote:No doubt Perth paid players out of the cap, Stephen Rowe said the NBL commissioner showed them the paperwork that Adelaide were the fourth highest spending team so I’m not sure who is not telling the truth

Joey hand picked his imports, he said that. Never heard that the owner picked Griffin

Plays Teys as a starter, no other team would do that. Same with Obi

Joeys gameplan has zero defence, not just this season but seasons gone past.

They big roster turnover each year, who is responsible? Who is the last SA junior to come through the ranks and play for Adelaide?

No doubt Joey has been awesome but 7 years without a champion is giving him enough time.

Fourth highest spending on paper is a bit different to the reality. Bogut's being paid $1 million a season only $140k of that counts against the cap.

Joey did not hand pick Randle that was the owner's doing. He might've picked Griffin but he certainly didn't choose to tie up $400k on him.

Teys had the best year of his career this season and Kyei was only starting because Griffin was so poor defensively you can't have him and DJ starting together.

Agreed Joey should've had more defence in his game plan but the same was said of Smyth and he won three titles despite it.

The reason a number of cast-offs that no one else wanted like Kyei, Dillon & White were signed was because the owner destroyed the club's reputation with player agents after the Mitch Creek saga last year. Taking a player to court to try and stop him realising his dream by signing with an NBA team is the most frowned upon thing you can do.

Sure I agree Joey had enough time but just remember what state the club was in before Joey got here.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:29 pm

if even half of this is true, Joey will not coach in any league again.
MW
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 pm

MW wrote:if even half of this is true, Joey will not coach in any league again.

Come on don't over react I've head coaches say a lot worse to players before. The three imports all quit on him and their teammates and Froling turned up fat and out of shape at the start of the season and remained that way throughout the whole season probably in retaliation for the club picking up his option he wanted to play in the G-League this season. Hopefully all four won't be back next season although we have a team option on Randle for next season and it wouldn't surprise me of the owner picks that up.
Gozu
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Gozu wrote:

Come on don't over react I've head coaches say a lot worse to players before. The three imports all quit on him and their teammates and Froling turned up fat and out of shape at the start of the season and remained that way throughout the whole season probably in retaliation for the club picking up his option he wanted to play in the G-League this season. Hopefully all four won't be back next season although we have a team option on Randle for next season and it wouldn't surprise me of the owner picks that up.

Punching a player
Claiming racism (if unfounded)
Suggesting players should kill themselves

Yeah overreacting...
MW
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Might be announced as the Tasmania franchise coach if SEN is correct
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:57 pm

MW wrote:Punching a player
Claiming racism (if unfounded)
Suggesting players should kill themselves

Yeah overreacting...

I'm not excusing it but you need the context. Sobey destroyed the Sixers season last season. Very good player but he's not a PG. He forced Joey to play him at PG for fear he would walk as a free agent which he did anyway. Joey and the club developed him into the player he is he couldn't even get a spot on the roster at Cairns and that's how you repay them? Good riddance.

Joey does have an itchy trigger finger on claiming racism he's done it before with the refs a few years ago but the same time I'm not a black man and he's the only black coach in the league.

I think we're all aware Joey is an emotional old school rar rar coach. He had been butting heads with those three imports and Froling all season it's not hard to see a convo like that happening towards the end of a very grueling season for all concerned. I have no doubt he didn't actually mean it but knew that the hammer was coming down on him in part because of their terrible play.
Gozu
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Gozu wrote:

I have no issue in bagging players for their performance & attitude which was extremely poor throughout multiple occasions during the season, but its time to take your blinkers off in regards to Joey. Game has well gone past him & if any of this is even remotely true he is done. My mrs loves him but is appaled by what she has just read. We are 2020 not the 80's anymore & that shit aint on. Also anyone that wants to defend Creek on what happened 2 years ago, might want to meet him & find out what hes actually like when the carmera's aren't around. One of the biggest tools i have ever met & spent time with
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:39 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:I have no issue in bagging players for their performance & attitude which was extremely poor throughout multiple occasions during the season, but its time to take your blinkers off in regards to Joey. Game has well gone past him & if any of this is even remotely true he is done. My mrs loves him but is appaled by what she has just read. We are 2020 not the 80's anymore & that shit aint on. Also anyone that wants to defend Creek on what happened 2 years ago, might want to meet him & find out what hes actually like when the carmera's aren't around. One of the biggest tools i have ever met & spent time with

The game may have gone past him but I think people are trying to blow this up into something more than it is. I can understand the outrage society we currently live in needs to find something to be outraged about but this ain't it lol Creek is a knob? So what, what has that got to with anything? He was our best player and you can thank the owner that he'll never play for the club again and Creek loves Joey too as do a number of other players.

Off the top of my head here are a few guys that followed Joey from club to club:

Chris Goulding (Brisbane & Gold Coast)
Adam Gibson (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide)
Brendan Teys (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide)
Jason Cadee (Gold Coast, Adelaide)
Anthony Petrie (Gold Coast, Adelaide)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Finally confirmed Tasmania have secured a licence for a 10th NBL team to enter the comp in the 2021-22 season.

The Hungry Jack’s National Basketball League is set to return to Tasmania for the 2021-22 season following a landmark agreement between the Tasmanian Government and the NBL.

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman and Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein announced today that the league’s 10th team would be based in Tasmania.

Under the agreement, the Tasmanian Government will become the sponsor of the new team and undertake a significant redevelopment of the Derwent Entertainment Centre (DEC) in Hobart.

The new Tasmanian team will play the majority of its home games at the DEC and also play games in the north of the state each year.

https://nbl.com.au/news/tasmania-secures-10th-nbl-team
Gozu
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:Image

What was said? By whom?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 pm

RustyCage wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Image

What was said? By whom?

Rusty check the previous page
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Eric Griffin has had a serve at Joey now
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:50 pm

And Ramone Moore

July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 pm

That was a great game unfortunately always looked as if Perth were going to come over the top.

Game 1

Perth 108 (Cotton 42, Kay 23, Norton 12, Wagstaff 10) def Cairns 107 (OT) (Machado 31, Newbill 25, Oliver 19, Jawai 10)

Wildcats lead the series 1-0
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:34 am

Randle and Griffin talk to Foxsports

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1 ... ssion=true
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball