HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby BurntToast » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:38 pm

cracka wrote:
Barkeroo wrote:That Under 18s grade seems to be struggling for numbers all over Australia at the moment. I've seen facebook posts from some clubs over in Vic offering free Xbox's to any new kids that sign up to play! Cant totally think of Mt Barker as a one club town because a lot of people live there and play for other nearby clubs but yeah we also 100% shouldnt struggle to fill any grades.

I live in WA now and the league I play in all clubs fill every team except for the U18 grade where only 5 of the 8 clubs have a team and even those who do have a team are borrowing players from the U15s to fill the team. So I don't know if it's just kids those ages would rather be doing other stuff these days but something needs to be done across the board to get them back in to footy I think.

A lot of kids are now working from that age group too & cant afford to get injured. My son broke his leg last year in the last game of the season & it ended up costing him about $12k in lost income. He's not playing this year because he has a contract with a downhill mountain biking team that doesn't allow him to play but he wasn't going to play this year anyway because of his broken leg & losing money.

A lot of guys when I was in the colts system 15 - 20 years ago worked part time, and even had apprenticeships but still played footy.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Barkeroo wrote:That Under 18s grade seems to be struggling for numbers all over Australia at the moment. I've seen facebook posts from some clubs over in Vic offering free Xbox's to any new kids that sign up to play! Cant totally think of Mt Barker as a one club town because a lot of people live there and play for other nearby clubs but yeah we also 100% shouldnt struggle to fill any grades.

I live in WA now and the league I play in all clubs fill every team except for the U18 grade where only 5 of the 8 clubs have a team and even those who do have a team are borrowing players from the U15s to fill the team. So I don't know if it's just kids those ages would rather be doing other stuff these days but something needs to be done across the board to get them back in to footy I think.

U/18s is notoriously hard to run, the kids at the top age tend to be finishing school/starting Uni/etc and the distractions see a lot of them drift away from the game. Also tend to get a fair bit of behavioural issues, where you have adults (18 year olds) getting overconfident and full of testosterone wanting to fight and be big men on campus.

SFL shifted down the ages and has had a much better senior colts competition as a result. I was surprised when HFL changed, what was the reason for this? U/18s are always a problem.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:34 am

Am I right in saying HFL have u18.5's?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:

U/18s is notoriously hard to run, the kids at the top age tend to be finishing school/starting Uni/etc and the distractions see a lot of them drift away from the game. Also tend to get a fair bit of behavioural issues, where you have adults (18 year olds) getting overconfident and full of testosterone wanting to fight and be big men on campus.

SFL shifted down the ages and has had a much better senior colts competition as a result. I was surprised when HFL changed, what was the reason for this? U/18s are always a problem.

I think it was to be in line with the SANFL comps.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:Am I right in saying HFL have u18.5's?

No. Just U18s
cracka
Veteran

Postby Barkeroo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 am

Good opening round with the biggest margin being 31 pts.
Lofty beat Lobey by 1pt
Barkeroos over UD by 7
Blackwood over Nairne by 31
Onkas over Echunga by 31
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby twe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Any one know what's going on with sporting pulse for scores ?
twe
Rookie

Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Keefy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:43 am

twe wrote:Any one know what's going on with sporting pulse for scores ?
Winners

Blackwood
Mt Barker
Uraidla

No scores for the late game between Mt Lofty and Hahndorf

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby BurntToast » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Some lop sided scores on the weekend. The magpies absolutely destroyed Mt Lofty, very ominous for rest of the season, and Uraidla put Nairne to the sword by the looks to. Perhaps a very long season awaits for the Rams? I am still surprised they came up.

Onkas looked okay on the weekend as well, still are a few key players away from being a contender though.
BurntToast

Postby RAMS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:29 pm

BurntToast wrote:Some lop sided scores on the weekend. The magpies absolutely destroyed Mt Lofty, very ominous for rest of the season, and Uraidla put Nairne to the sword by the looks to. Perhaps a very long season awaits for the Rams? I am still surprised they came up.

Onkas looked okay on the weekend as well, still are a few key players away from being a contender though.

Division 2 as a whole is in a world of pain, coming up to Division 1 will be the best long term decision the RAMS have made in a long time. Very competitive last week against Blackwood but not this week, comprehensively beaten and must lift if we’re a chance at Loby next round.
RAMS

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby cracka » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm

BurntToast wrote:Some lop sided scores on the weekend. The magpies absolutely destroyed Mt Lofty, very ominous for rest of the season, and Uraidla put Nairne to the sword by the looks to. Perhaps a very long season awaits for the Rams? I am still surprised they came up.

We're only at round 2 but we had George-Dent, Friend, Pittaway, Schoell, Sinnott, Leonard, Klun, Perkins & Lees all unavailable yesterday. Not sure if any of those would have changed the result, we should be a bit more competitive this year but yeah would need to recruit to be contending.
cracka
Veteran

Postby samantic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 pm

In fairness Rams have solid Juniors and are certainly in a geographical gold mine. They have a very professional plan for their furore and from what I hear they are very well run.
It honestly made no sense for them to stay in Div 2 and I'd be very surprised if they finish bottom in any grade. I congratulate them on their decision, recognising a few hard years potentially for a much brighter future
samantic
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BurntToast » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am

samantic wrote:In fairness Rams have solid Juniors and are certainly in a geographical gold mine. They have a very professional plan for their furore and from what I hear they are very well run.
It honestly made no sense for them to stay in Div 2 and I'd be very surprised if they finish bottom in any grade. I congratulate them on their decision, recognising a few hard years potentially for a much brighter future

I think the eye brows were raised that they came up after the year they had in Div 2. They certainly didn’t set the world alight in the A grade and they didn’t field a Senior colts either. I just question the timing. The biggest two changes from Div 2 and 1 is depth in teams and the speed of the game. Whether Nairne can adapt to this quickly will directly influence how competitive they can be.

You’re right though, it’s a better for the club long term in the div 1 then it is to remain in 2. I still don’t think we are far away from the HFL moving to a sole division. Div 2 is a mess. I think a 12 team comp would be an ideal scenario.
BurntToast

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:19 am

In an ideal world I agree a 12 team comp would be better. But it would mean amalgamations, and/or, clubs no longer existing.

That's the problem, what club President or club committee would willingly vote themselves into non existence?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby BurntToast » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am

Corona Man wrote:In an ideal world I agree a 12 team comp would be better. But it would mean amalgamations, and/or, clubs no longer existing.

That's the problem, what club President or club committee would willingly vote themselves into non existence?

I understand that, and I am also aware that it is easy for someone who hails from a strong club to make statements about the direction of the league. There are some proud country clubs, but these same clubs have been making up the numbers for quite some time. Torrens Valley are on life support, Meadows are a shadow of their former selfs and I can’t see them ever returning/recovering to their former glory. Macci have been mediocre for a long, long time. There’s a couple of others that are stronger the these three that are close enough to join other leagues such as the GSFL (Kangariilla) and Barossa Light (Birdwood)
BurntToast

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 am

BurntToast wrote:
Corona Man wrote:In an ideal world I agree a 12 team comp would be better. But it would mean amalgamations, and/or, clubs no longer existing.

I understand that, and I am also aware that it is easy for someone who hails from a strong club to make statements about the direction of the league. There are some proud country clubs, but these same clubs have been making up the numbers for quite some time. Torrens Valley are on life support, Meadows are a shadow of their former selfs and I can’t see them ever returning/recovering to their former glory. Macci have been mediocre for a long, long time. There’s a couple of others that are stronger the these three that are close enough to join other leagues such as the GSFL (Kangariilla) and Barossa Light (Birdwood)

I understand what you are saying, and I wasn't having a go at you, your club or your view. I agree with your statements re Meadows, Maccy etc. I guess its clubs like Gumeracha & Kersbrook as well. Can't see them ever amalgamating, nor Maccy & Meadows for that matter.

Its a conundrum.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Corona Man wrote:
BurntToast wrote:

I understand what you are saying, and I wasn't having a go at you, your club or your view. I agree with your statements re Meadows, Maccy etc. I guess its clubs like Gumeracha & Kersbrook as well. Can't see them ever amalgamating, nor Maccy & Meadows for that matter.

Its a conundrum.

Its mainly the junior grades in div 2 that is the issue. I wonder how many div 2 clubs could fill 3 junior sides if there were 3 year age groups. I suggested a few years ago that div 1 should be U13, U15, U17 & div 2 be U12, U15, U18.
cracka
Veteran

Postby SecretInformant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:56 pm

cracka wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
BurntToast wrote:

Its a conundrum.

Its mainly the junior grades in div 2 that is the issue. I wonder how many div 2 clubs could fill 3 junior sides if there were 3 year age groups. I suggested a few years ago that div 1 should be U13, U15, U17 & div 2 be U12, U15, U18.

I think for insurance purposes its recommended not to have greater than two years between the age groups.
SecretInformant

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

cracka wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
BurntToast wrote:

Its a conundrum.

SecretInformant wrote: think for insurance purposes its recommended not to have greater than two years between the age groups.

Yeah, it's also an AFL guideline but I think leagues can get around it. There are some country leagues that have 3 year ages gaps currently due to lack of numbers. Kids are having to fill in for older age groups now anyway because clubs can't fill teams. Some clubs will have 4 year age gaps if they have senior colts & mini colts teams but no junior colts.
I thought there was an SA country league a while ago that had a 4 year age gap, the young players had to wear yellow armbands, be matched up with an opposition yellow armband & the older players weren't allowed to tackle them (only smothering).
cracka
Veteran

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 pm

cracka wrote:Yeah, it's also an AFL guideline but I think leagues can get around it. There are some country leagues that have 3 year ages gaps currently due to lack of numbers. Kids are having to fill in for older age groups now anyway because clubs can't fill teams. Some clubs will have 4 year age gaps if they have senior colts & mini colts teams but no junior colts.
I thought there was an SA country league a while ago that had a 4 year age gap, the young players had to wear yellow armbands, be matched up with an opposition yellow armband & the older players weren't allowed to tackle them (only smothering).

That may have been the Mid West League and related to kids playing B Grade, as they were having kids as young as 13 playing B Grade (their colts is u/16's but it is common for kids around 10 to play). Definitely yellow armbands and couldn't be tackled, don't know about having to line up on each other, but I reckon that probably would have happened anyway rather than win-at all-costs.
My nephew plays in an EP league that still has 14's and 17's, and from what I can understand, as a 7yo he can dress and sit on the bench for u/14's, which he'd be excited to do, and next year is allowed to play u/14's. If that's not right, it's a year older.
There are advantages for older kids to play with younger ones as it can teach them leadership, empathy, what it takes to be a club, and not give them a sense of entitlement ie that the club exists for them just because they are lucky enough to play in a league with sufficient kids around their age.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy