Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby JK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 am

Dutchy wrote:I went to a SANFL coaching workshop last night and the presenter was Carl Woods the new PAFC AFL skill Acquisition coach who was outstanding in challenging the way coaches think and develop their players.

He gave a great insight into the changes at Port over the Summer, they have turned everything upside down and challenged everything they have done in the past. Firstly they had to change the coaches mindset which was more difficult than the players. He admitted the players have been over coached in recent years which has stifled their creativity. He used the key words Adaptive and Creative all night. Training is much more unstructured now to match the chaos of a game scenario.

One example he gave was in 2018 the defence had a rule that they had to hit 2 short kicks before anyone could play on or handball, hence why they were so slow coming out of defence.

They are also focusing heavily this year on players using their non dominant side much more often, they are keeping stats on it and it has improved from 2018 but they have a fair way to go, their players have used it 55 times so far, the competition low is Sydney with 17.

They have done a lot of work on their reaction to turnovers both ways, and showed some vision from the Port game on how they are spreading the field when the opposition turnover the ball and how they compress the field when they do.

I have only seen a small amount of Port so far, are Port fans seeing the changes?

Good insight mate!

On a slightly different note, are any Port fans worried about Wines inclusion this week possibly altering the dynamic of the first two rounds?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:22 am

Nope, Wines has to come in. It will allow Gray to go forward, we've used him in the middle a fair bit in the first two games and now we'll be able to "pinch hit" with him in there. Marshall has had no impact forward, Ryder looks a little lost in his new role, we need some star power inside 50 to make the most of the entries we're getting.

In - Wines, Howard/Hartlett
Out - Watts ( inj ), Amon ( inj ).

I think they might give Hartlett another week in the SANFL before he comes back in, although he's more like-for-like than Howard / Watts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am

Booney wrote:Nope, Wines has to come in. It will allow Gray to go forward, we've used him in the middle a fair bit in the first two games and now we'll be able to "pinch hit" with him in there. Marshall has had no impact forward, Ryder looks a little lost in his new role, we need some star power inside 50 to make the most of the entries we're getting.

In - Wines, Howard/Hartlett
Out - Watts ( inj ), Amon ( inj ).

I think they might give Hartlett another week in the SANFL before he comes back in, although he's more like-for-like than Howard / Watts.

I agree that your Captain has to come back in, just wonder if it will impact on the way the midfield has been operating thus far. Plus maybe Im thinking about bringing Rocky into SC and scared his output might diminish with Ollie back.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:29 am

Rockliff starts in the middle but then plays behind the play, he's been the architect of that movement from defence a lot this year, he'll still rack them up. I think it will mean Gray, Drew and SPP spend less time in the middle.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 am

Booney wrote:Rockliff starts in the middle but then plays behind the play, he's been the architect of that movement from defence a lot this year, he'll still rack them up. I think it will mean Gray, Drew and SPP spend less time in the middle.

Watched a replay of the game last night, i thought Drew was really good especially early on.

Also thought Clurey was outstanding - how did you view his game?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Rockliff starts in the middle but then plays behind the play, he's been the architect of that movement from defence a lot this year, he'll still rack them up. I think it will mean Gray, Drew and SPP spend less time in the middle.

Watched a replay of the game last night, i thought Drew was really good especially early on.

Cluz has become a very dependable defender, with Jonas down there we've got two blokes who keep getting their job done.

Clurey is one of our best runners in the preseason and he's 193cm and 90kg, he's big enough to do the roles on the big blokes and athletic enough to get up and down on the mid sized forwards. As our deepest defender he went past Hombsch ages ago and is now ahead of Howard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 am

The Bedge wrote:

From the Riverbank stand I reckon.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 am

Clurey is a beauty. Reliable hands, good size, very mobile, makes good decisions. Outside of Alberton has probably gone under the radar a bit, but he's a quality player.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:45 am

The Bedge wrote:

I'll be extremely disappointed if Drew was to be omitted. Has had an outstanding couple of games for a debutante, albeit he has got a couple of pre-season's under his belt in comparison with the rest of our younger brigade. What stood out in the U23 trial was his clean hands in close, which recruiters sung the praise of in his draft year, and that has carried through to the regular season. He replaces Amon on the wing for mine - we need players in our side who are sure of their disposal.

It's hard to read the performance of Clurey and Jonas, partly as the system has them switching opponents rather than sticking to a direct player for the duration of the game. McKay and to a lesser extent, McGovern had their moments throughout the match, but our tall defenders looked to have their measure across the match.

I thought our best defender on the day (which I didn't notice live but it was very apparent on the replay) was Burton. From our back 6, he was the most "one touch", which was impressive given the conditions.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Xavier Duursma covered 17.4kms on Saturday. That is the 9th highest distance covered since GPS data tracking was published (start of 2017). Only Tom Scully, Andrew Gaff and Nick Roberton have covered more.

Quality numbers from a 2nd gamer!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 pm

valleys07 wrote:Xavier Duursma covered 17.4kms on Saturday. That is the 9th highest distance covered since GPS data tracking was published (start of 2017). Only Tom Scully, Andrew Gaff and Nick Roberton have covered more.

Does that mean that the 3 latter mentions have multiple entries inside the top 9 distances covered
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby nuggety goodness » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:31 pm

LMA wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Xavier Duursma covered 17.4kms on Saturday. That is the 9th highest distance covered since GPS data tracking was published (start of 2017). Only Tom Scully, Andrew Gaff and Nick Roberton have covered more.

Does that mean that the 3 latter mentions have multiple entries inside the top 9 distances covered
Scully has like 15 of the top 20 or something...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Port have made 3 changes for this weekends game.

In: Wines, Howard, Sam Gray.
Out: Watts (inj), Amon (inj), Marshall (omitted).

Right - Gray had a terrific game against Westies. Can't do much more than 30+ and 4, but; i'm not happy.

Gray has reached his ceiling as a player. He will forever be that player that is too good for SANFL footy, not quite up to AFL. Two things- to run with a Ryder/Lycett and Westhoff tall forward set up voids us of flexibility moving the footy between half back and half forward, which will inevitably lead to turnovers when having to kick to small targets down the line. If we absolutely have to replace Marshall with a small, can it be someone in the Farrell/AJ mould - a player with better crumbing ability, more pace and better skills.

I see Sammy in the same position as Jack Trengove - handy depth and will be called upon when absolutely desperate. To change the dynamic now makes no sense. Continually rewarding the good performances of players in the Gray ilk reverts us back to the systematic failure we have endured for the past 4 years, without any consideration to the future.

Ken has learned nothing.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:50 pm

valleys07 wrote:Port have made 3 changes for this weekends game.

Right - Gray had a terrific game against Westies. Can't do much more than 30+ and 4, but; i'm not happy.

Gray has reached his ceiling as a player. He will forever be that player that is too good for SANFL footy, not quite up to AFL. Two things- to run with a Ryder/Lycett and Westhoff tall forward set up voids us of flexibility moving the footy between half back and half forward, which will inevitably lead to turnovers when having to kick to small targets down the line. If we absolutely have to replace Marshall with a small, can it be someone in the Farrell/AJ mould - a player with better crumbing ability, more pace and better skills.

I see Sammy in the same position as Jack Trengove - handy depth and will be called upon when absolutely desperate. To change the dynamic now makes no sense. Continually rewarding the good performances of players in the Gray ilk reverts us back to the systematic failure we have endured for the past 4 years, without any consideration to the future.

Ken has learned nothing.

First goal.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Howard / Watts is almost like/like so no issues there. Howard may play a swing man role and spend some time forward perhaps?

If I was the forward line coach arguing to keep Marshall in the side I would have struggled to mount a case. Brisbane's midfield now runs deep, adding another fwd/mid ( S.Gray ) for a forward ( Marshall ) who was having little impact makes some sense. Ebert will need to offer an avenue to goal across half forward without Marshall there.

There will need to be some shuffling of inside mids to move Wines in, the skipper had to come in though so Drew might go out to the wing to facilitate that.

Not sure S.Gray is the right in, but, get 33 and kick 4 and you make a case for yourself. Surely having Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Drew, DBJ, Bonner, Houston, Burton is an eye to the future?
Last edited by Booney on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Port have made 3 changes for this weekends game.

Ken has learned nothing.

First goal.

Into Brisbane 1-39.

:-BD

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Booney wrote:Howard / Watts is almost like/like so no issues there. Howard may play a swing man role and spend some time forward perhaps?

If I was the forward line coach arguing to keep Marshall in the side I would have struggled to mount a case. Brisbane's midfield now runs deep, adding another fwd/mid ( S.Gray ) for a forward ( Marshall ) who was having little impact makes some sense. Ebert will need to offer an avenue to goal across half forward without Marshall there.

There will need to be some shuffling of inside mids to move Wines in, the skipper had to come in though so Drew might go out to the wing to facilitate that.

Not sure S.Gray is the right in, but, get 33 and kick 4 and you make a case for yourself. Surely having Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Drew, DBJ, Bonner, Houston, Burton is an eye to the future?

Ok, fair play. A bit of an overreaction.

Let's be honest - Gray isn't going to feature in the side in 5 years time. If the need to replace Marshall is there (which I do not disagree with), surely looking to Farrell/AJ would be more productive to the future look of the side, than selecting an above average SANFL player who has well and truly reached his ceiling at the top flight?

valleys07
Coach

Postby beef » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Do you get the feeling Marshall will be looking elsewhere for more opportunities? Going to be even worse when/if Dixon comes back. Too good to be playing SANFL and think lots of AFL clubs would love him in their side
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:06 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Ok, fair play. A bit of an overreaction.

Let's be honest - Gray isn't going to feature in the side in 5 years time. If the need to replace Marshall is there (which I do not disagree with), surely looking to Farrell/AJ would be more productive to the future look of the side, than selecting an above average SANFL player who has well and truly reached his ceiling at the top flight?

Selection is based on winning this week, not what we're doing in 5 years.

If Farrell ( 5 games ) or Johnson ( 10 ) came in this week we'd have nearly 1/4 of our side with 10 games or under, 4 of them in their 3rd game and in the front half Rozee, Butters and Farrell would mean 3 of the front half have 9 games under their belts. Bit of balance required there I think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:12 pm

beef wrote:Do you get the feeling Marshall will be looking elsewhere for more opportunities? Going to be even worse when/if Dixon comes back. Too good to be playing SANFL and think lots of AFL clubs would love him in their side

No. Westhoff is 31 and while in good form is only a year by year proposition. Dixon is 28 and right now an unknown.

Marshall will find his feet, he's played 12 games and is 20, not the only key forward to come in and out at that age.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL