40%
St Pauls OS
4%
Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 pm

the smokey wrote:Does anyone feel it a disgrace that there is so much money$$$$$ floating around in this grade.... St Paul's, Houghton, Marion, Mawson lakes, (not sure about osb have just joined)etc whole are paying big money per game to only be a div 7 club and the majority for a long time!!

Instead of spending the $$, build a club, culture etc and maybe one day you might become a club like ttg or gg

The fact there is so much floating around in div 7 is a joke and will discourage successful higher grade clubs to play in this division!!

Not sure where you get your info, but don't think clubs like St Pauls, Houghton or Mawson Lakes have "big money",

It's also unfair to try and compare their situations to clubs like TTG and GG - two clubs who have massive facilities, junior programs and multiple sporting/social organisations that assist to contribute to their infrastructure.

Small, low grade clubs will never reach the lofty heights of those well established D1 clubs, and whilst floating around in the lowest grade "building a club culture" is good in theory, the reality is, it is increasingly difficult to recruit and entice players of a higher calibre to the club and build any success.

Fact is the landscape or footy has changed, and unfortunately coin is king. :(

FWIW I think with the introduction of the SFL clubs, I believe we are slowly moving towards a pure A grade competition in the all the major divs, which would allow the "higher grade clubs" to participate in the C grade competitions.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 pm

the smokey wrote:
The fact there is so much floating around in div 7 is a joke and will discourage successful higher grade clubs to play in this division!!

because Goodwood and ROCS secretly want to play in D7 but the money being thrown around is ridiculous :lol:

I assume you actually mean the C and D grade teams of higher successful clubs. Clubs like SMOSH and Henley have been very successful in this grade over the years.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby carey » Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 pm

This old chest nut :roll:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Q. » Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 pm

the smokey wrote:Does anyone feel it a disgrace that there is so much money$$$$$ floating around in this grade.... St Paul's, Houghton, Marion, Mawson lakes, (not sure about osb have just joined)etc whole are paying big money per game to only be a div 7 club and the majority for a long time!!

Instead of spending the $$, build a club, culture etc and maybe one day you might become a club like ttg or gg

But TTG and GG pay players - are you suggesting those clubs have no culture?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:good to see Lonsdale and Marion doing well.. Both clubs would be loving their decision to move leagues

Probably spewing they missed their chance to be Morphett Vale!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Informer » Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 pm

**** this shit makes me laugh, in your 8 posts so far of wisdom can you please tell me how much Houghton is paying out this season in relation to big money, I know I only coach the B grade and am on the committee but I'm sure you would know a lot more, also please find one person who has joined us that doesn't say we have a great culture and everyone is welcome at our club, try find another reason why you are travelling the way you are.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby mighty hounds » Wed May 30, 2018 8:50 am

Dutchy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:good to see Lonsdale and Marion doing well.. Both clubs would be loving their decision to move leagues

8 wins and 6 wins so far, I highly doubt that :roll: :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby jo172 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 am

Our one year of D7 C Grade I'd bet that Salisbury West were certainly using more of their cap than a couple of the D1 teams in D7 at least.

Those are the rules, I've expressed my views about proportionalism before. They're unpopular
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed May 30, 2018 9:43 am

Here we go again. :roll:
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

8 wins and 6 wins so far, I highly doubt that :roll: :lol:

You need to lighten up a little
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Burras » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 am

The_Informer wrote:

**** this shit makes me laugh, in your 8 posts so far of wisdom can you please tell me how much Houghton is paying out this season in relation to big money, I know I only coach the B grade and am on the committee but I'm sure you would know a lot more, also please find one person who has joined us that doesn't say we have a great culture and everyone is welcome at our club, try find another reason why you are travelling the way you are.

There's no reason, you're playing the 3rd best team in the club... It would raise further questions if they are beating you whilst your paying players
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 am

So these clubs that go and source sponsorship and raise funds through good management should just be confined to the lower grades and not find ways to attract other players?

You need some incentive to get new players out for a look, they will decide to stick around or not depending on the culture.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Informer » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am

Once again please fill me in on this big money Houghton is paying this year? I reckon we could add up all the money together we pay each game and it wouldn't even equal what you blokes pay one player in your A grade, but hey I'm sure you know all the facts about Houghton.
The Informer
Reserves

Postby cossi11 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:50 am

The_Informer wrote:Once again please fill me in on this big money Houghton is paying this year? I reckon we could add up all the money together we pay each game and it wouldn't even equal what you blokes pay one player in your A grade, but hey I'm sure you know all the facts about Houghton.

You blokes probably pay out more money in free beers to the opposition players after a game than you would pay your own players :lol:
2020 AFL Premiers: Richmond 12.9.81 def Geelong 7.8.50
2019 AFL Premiers: Richmond 17.12.114 def Greater Western Sydney 3.7.25
2017 AFL Premiers: Adelaide 8.12.60 def by Richmond 16.12.108
2012 D5 Premiers: Brahma Lodge 24.15.159 def Hope Valley 7.13.55
cossi11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby The Informer » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 am

cossi11 wrote:
The_Informer wrote:Once again please fill me in on this big money Houghton is paying this year? I reckon we could add up all the money together we pay each game and it wouldn't even equal what you blokes pay one player in your A grade, but hey I'm sure you know all the facts about Houghton.

You blokes probably pay out more money in free beers to the opposition players after a game than you would pay your own players :lol:

Totally agree but apparently we have no culture at our club lol
The Informer
Reserves

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 am

The_Informer wrote:Once again please fill me in on this big money Houghton is paying this year.

Adam Molloy on the big coin.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed May 30, 2018 11:40 am

The Bedge wrote:
The_Informer wrote:Once again please fill me in on this big money Houghton is paying this year.

Adam Molloy on the big coin.

Yep. You've uncovered the big secret of the Houghton Football Club.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby morell » Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 am

To me there are two arguments going on.

One is the broader macro level discussion about money in semi-professional football and what that means for our sport. That’s a complicated, nuanced argument that requires a depth of knowledge that isn’t common in the depths of the safooty servers.

The second is micro in nature and whether or not this year for this division it’s appropriate to be spending any money paying players for what is in essence, social football.

I do think Marion in particular have perhaps slightly misjudged the cultural norms for these divisions. In D7 and perhaps even D6, it is my opinion that they’re not meant to be money driven competitions. That’s not to say nothing ought to be spent trying to recruit or it should be outright banned, but to my eyes there has always sort of been an unwritten rule to somewhat minimise spending on players to maintain that social connection we enjoy down here. That could just be me though.

It will come out in the wash and we’ll all adapt. To me it comes back to having a broken promotion/relegation system for grading teams. There must be more autonomy afforded to the executive of the AdFL to accurately place teams in the right division. Wining or placing in last years GF ought to be one criteria of a multivariate analysis .. other variables might include:

Average spend on players
Preference of club
Quality of recruits
Quality or losses
Divisional gap
Club structures (juniors, OS etc)

I would also go as far as saying… and Ill get hounded for this one. Have a pre-season grading comp for the lower divisions.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 12:36 pm

morell wrote:
It will come out in the wash and we’ll all adapt. To me it comes back to having a broken promotion/relegation system for grading teams. There must be more autonomy afforded to the executive of the AdFL to accurately place teams in the right division. Wining or placing in last years GF ought to be one criteria of a multivariate analysis .. other variables might include:

I don't think the grading system is flawed one iota.

Div 1: Athelstone 1-6 (41.8%), Modbury 0-7(32%) are the bottom two. Modbury rebuilding, Athelstone promoted this season.
Div 2: SPOC 8-0 (67%), Gaza 2-6 (39.6%), GG 0-8 (41%). SPOC doing well as expected, the bottom two have been far from poor.
Div 3: Walkerville 1-7 (34.4%), Pembroke 0-8 (30%), both clubs have been on the slide for a couple of years and will find where they're at.
Div 4: Glenunga going great guns but are still beatable. Salisbury with 1-7 (36.45%) are no walkovers.
Div 5: The top 6 are all capable of heating each other, the bottom 4 are in a titanic struggle to avoid relegation, a very exciting division.
Div 6: Rosewater obviously travelling well at 8-0, a different debate lingers though given how they ended up in div 6. Greenacres at 0-8 (14%) an obvious concern, these guys have ebbed and flowed as much as anyone in the past 15-20 years, I'm sure they'll bottom out and come back strong again one day.
Div 7: The introduction of OSB and Marion enhance the comp all round, hindsight would have suggested that OSB swapped with Greenacres but on the same token they aren't flogging everybody, only Mitchell Park and Flinders Uni have been the whipping boys but you can't have a two team comp.
FWIW, I don't think OSB will win the flag.

All in all, I think it's one of the most even comps we've seen throughout all grades, there isn't a lot of ridiculous drubbings through the middle divisions like we've seen in the past, you're always going to expect it in the bottom division though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Lets be serious, every year we know clubs that are incorrectly graded, if the league had the power to intervene, adjustments could be made to make it a more competitive/even comp. Generally speaking it's the lower half divisions that have the most inconsistency.

Example - Greenaces was obvious to everyone pre-season they'd struggle, and OSB appeared to be a side that would go well after some strong recruiting.. wouldn't have hurt to swap the two.

Egos/pride of clubs get in the way though and affect decision making in the best interests of their club IMO.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League