Tea Tree Gully
3%

Total votes : 77

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
jo172 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Dutchy wrote:This needs to be explored more in the AdFL, why not play some junior games on Saturdays?

10:15am - C Grade
12:15pm - B Grade
14:15pm - A Grade
17:30pm - Womens

Where/When are you expected to fit juniors games in?

Add in School Footy to that mix too

You only have college kids at your club? [BTW plenty of college kids play SFL over school footy]

There are also school holidays

Couldn't think of a local college that would allow a kid to play club over school. Hell come 16s and 18s they ban them playing on Sundays
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Courtney Fish » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:18 pm

marbles wrote:what actual "private schools" exist down south whos teams actually impede on SFL saturday football teams

Cardijn College Football Academy at Noarlunga have to play School football Saturdays. Sacred Heart the same.
Brightons Sunday "2nd" side was arguably better than their Saturday side before they left the SFL due to College kids
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:
marbles wrote:what actual "private schools" exist down south whos teams actually impede on SFL saturday football teams

Cardijn College Football Academy at Noarlunga have to play School football Saturdays. Sacred Heart the same.
Brightons Sunday "2nd" side was arguably better than their Saturday side before they left the SFL due to College kids

I know Cardijn are strict on it, Sacred Heart are not.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Dutchy - your naivety when it comes to college football and aspects of the AdFL (such as C grade teams) is surprising. Cardign College is the only college in the main catchment area of the SFL that fields school footy teams on a Saturday and that has only been a recent thing and I believe up to Year 10 only. There are only about 20 colleges that are active participants in the Independent Schools Football Comp and these are most the colleges in the inner to middle suburbs, the one exception being Trinity. Sacred Heart as one of the 6 to 8 leading football schools definitely doesn't allow lads to play club ahead of school when Saturday school football is being played which is a 13 to 14 week season. Some college lads can sneak under the radar because they have avoided playing school football throughout their schooling or they may play another sport for the school that isn't played on a Saturday morning. In other cases the school makes a decision to field a certain amount of teams in a year group and if they have an excess of players then they are OK with some lads not committing to school footy. But I can assure you that any lad who is in the top 20 or 30 players in their year level is considered to be the schools football property and headed for expulsion if they played club ahead of school. Even if a lad isn't an "A" grader the school still requires the minimum number each week to field the teams they have nominated and heads will roll if they ever come up short. The exact same applies at PAC, Saints, Rostrevor, St Micks, Immanuel and several others. Adelaide is no different to Melbourne hence why the metropolitan leagues over there (VAFA and the 4 or 5 metro leagues) play all their juniors on a Sunday. You need to understand that South of GJ Road and North of Sturt Road there are very few public high schools left these days and a couple of those also participate in the college football comp.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:

I know Cardijn are strict on it, Sacred Heart are not.

The same discussions have occurred in the past and points were ignored. Saturday Juniors in the SAAFL are not viable and DTH is mirroring my points raised in the past.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Rightio DTH, FYI I went to a college, played sport in the college system and know exactly how it works, so I am not naive.

You are correct in some of the above, Ill leave it at that.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:49 pm

And how long ago was that Dutchy? I'm a father of 2 lads that only finished school at Sacred Heart in the last couple of years, plus I have been involved at a football club with at least half it's junior players who attend private schools. So I know I'm correct in all of the above. I'll leave it at that.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:00 pm

So we are both correct, all good :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 am

Down the Hill wrote:And how long ago was that Dutchy? I'm a father of 2 lads that only finished school at Sacred Heart in the last couple of years, plus I have been involved at a football club with at least half it's junior players who attend private schools. So I know I'm correct in all of the above. I'll leave it at that.

Must have been a long long time ago DTH :lol: once any private school finds out that you play club sport they will force you to play for the school or you run the risk of punishment. Sacred Heart def in that category as well.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:And how long ago was that Dutchy? I'm a father of 2 lads that only finished school at Sacred Heart in the last couple of years, plus I have been involved at a football club with at least half it's junior players who attend private schools. So I know I'm correct in all of the above. I'll leave it at that.

Must have been a long long time ago DTH :lol: once any private school finds out that you play club sport they will force you to play for the school or you run the risk of punishment. Sacred Heart def in that category as well.

I understand that, however you are both presuming the schools are across everything, esp the ones who have good numbers in said sport
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 am

Trust me Dutchy, if the kid has talent in the said sport the school is across it. If they are not, another kid or parent will spill the beans. The school may only "not be across it" if the kid is not overly talented in said sport. Maybe that's the category you fell into ;)
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Homer J » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:45 am

Not sure what all this micky mouse college crap has got to do with Div 7 Football. Nobody cares about college crap.

1 week to the real stuff, whose ready for round 1!
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:49 am

Down the Hill wrote:Trust me Dutchy, if the kid has talent in the said sport the school is across it. If they are not, another kid or parent will spill the beans. The school may only "not be across it" if the kid is not overly talented in said sport. Maybe that's the category you fell into ;)

Trust me, they ain't, surprises me also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am

Homer J wrote:Not sure what all this micky mouse college crap has got to do with Div 7 Football. Nobody cares about college crap.

1 week to the real stuff, whose ready for round 1!

Agree, good luck to all teams will be following with interest, is Round 1 next Sat?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby vics01 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:36 pm

DTH and Dutchy Special football should not even be mentioned in a forum about real footy. But now that it is if the parents stands up to the school and says no there is no legal avenue available to the school to enforce it. That I do know from experience.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby jo172 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Dutchy mate, we fall right in the catchment of Rostrevor, PAC, Pembroke and SPSC. In any given age group we'll also have a couple who go to lesser colleges like Pulteney, CBC etc.

That's to say nothing of our biggest public school in Marryatvile that also plays the ISSA comp.

We've spent the best part of 20 years finessing the big colleges loopholes. They aren't there

(As an aside sadly this has caught up with us and we're without an 18s side for the first time for many years)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Also, putting aside self interest, if club footy in juniors was in competition to school footy it would cause serious problems for Glenunga, Unley, Mitcham, Walkerville, PNU, PHOS, Flinders Park, Brighton, Atherstone, Hectorville, Broadview

It would have a horrible effect on junior club footy in suburban Adelaide
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby norm11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:33 pm

What’s happening at central United ? Was all Rosey with all the signings, a couple have jumped
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:48 pm

norm11 wrote:What’s happening at central United ? Was all Rosey with all the signings, a couple have jumped

may have moved on some they no longer wanted
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm

norm11 wrote:What’s happening at central United ? Was all Rosey with all the signings, a couple have jumped

Like who?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League