The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:54 am

MW wrote:I get what you are trying to say. Seems strange that Port or the Crows have not won every GF or even how have they lost a game in the last three years or however long they've been in...

That's my issue around integrity, the performance of the AFL cancers swing from week to week solely based on their injury lists, Port had a great run last year and waltzed into the GF as the Crows did the year before (before folding when the AFL team were out). We have also seen the Crows cop some hidings when they have a large injury list and rely on country footballers who get gifted SANFL League games (another issue altogether). I suspect we will see Port cop some similar floggings if they have a bad run with injury with a lot of their depth players from 2017 moving on.

So we now have a competition which is heavily influenced by something completely outside of its control.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm

How long before we see Port & Crows reserves curtain raisers...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... e769bc5638
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Its the next logical step in the dumbing down of the once great comp.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I bet this move is the precursor for curtain raisers with the clubs reserves sides. Then we can piss of the Power and Crows thank god
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm

cennals05 wrote:How long before we see Port & Crows reserves curtain raisers...

Ive believed all along this should be the case
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:How long before we see Port & Crows reserves curtain raisers...

Ive believed all along this should be the case
Maybe the SANFL can get Foxtel to cover those games leaving Channel 7 to free up some air time for the real clubs?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby tipper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 am

Wedgie wrote:Absolutely irrelevent, and it doesn't seem strange at all, underdogs with everything stacked against them quite often win all over the world. At the end of the day some people/organisations with massive advantages can still lose because they cant buy heart or success. But those teams/people with unfair advantages usually succeed or do better than they should or deserve to.
But as I said, thats irrelevent, its all about integrity, it wouldn't make any difference if the Crows and Power lost by 100 points each week or win by 100 points each week. It makes no difference if they win every flag or never win a flag. No difference.

i dont know how many times this needs to be said, but the afl fanbois never seem to get it. well said Wedgie and completely spot on
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm

tipper wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Absolutely irrelevent, and it doesn't seem strange at all, underdogs with everything stacked against them quite often win all over the world. At the end of the day some people/organisations with massive advantages can still lose because they cant buy heart or success. But those teams/people with unfair advantages usually succeed or do better than they should or deserve to.
But as I said, thats irrelevent, its all about integrity, it wouldn't make any difference if the Crows and Power lost by 100 points each week or win by 100 points each week. It makes no difference if they win every flag or never win a flag. No difference.

i dont know how many times this needs to be said, but the afl fanbois never seem to get it. well said Wedgie and completely spot on

It won't be the last time they bring it up either. No matter if you explain it calmly, angrily, succinctly, lengthily, patronisingly, respectfully, simply or intricately, there will be another one that will pop up its head and trivialise the whole argument because "they haven't won a flag yet".
....some men you just can't reach.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

therisingblues wrote:
tipper wrote:

It won't be the last time they bring it up either. No matter if you explain it calmly, angrily, succinctly, lengthily, patronisingly, respectfully, simply or intricately, there will be another one that will pop up its head and trivialise the whole argument because "they haven't won a flag yet".

So, you get what we had here last week.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:05 pm

therisingblues wrote:
tipper wrote:

Definitely. What we got here is a failure to communicate.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Which is the way he wants it...
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

I think you are giving him too much credit
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm

therisingblues wrote:Which is the way he wants it...

Well, this thread certainly has undertones of a civil war.

I think it shows that even in the footy world, you can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands - when everybody's fighting for the promised land.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Magellan wrote:

I think it shows that even in the footy world, you can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands - when everybody's fighting for the promised land.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Knock, knock knockin' on .... oops, I ****** it up didn't I?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Knock, knock knockin' on .... oops, I ****** it up didn't I?

Enough with your Double Talkin' Jive.
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Enough with your Double Talkin' Jive.

Sorry, not feeling right. I feel like I have left my head and arm somewhere.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Who has an Adelaide Now log in?

Article mentions a letter Roy Laird has written to the club about his fears on the future of the SANFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby vics01 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 pm

CENTRAL District coach Roy Laird’s fears for the future of the state league have been revealed in a passionate letter to the club’s board.

The highly respected seven-times premiership coach used the letter to lament the declining reputation of the league as well as the lack of urgency among the decision makers.

Laird is also concerned the rich history of the competition is being lost amid the huge success of the AFL.

Central coach Roy Laird at the quarter time break.
Such was the impact of the letter on the Bulldogs’ board, it was forwarded to the SANFL commission as well as all the club directors and chief executives.

“The lack of urgency with the current plight of the SANFL is eating at me!” Laird wrote. “This treasured and history filled competition that has given me and many others decades of

memories now sits perilously close to a point of no return.

“Clubs which once were the pinnacle of sporting prowess and community pride now solemnly reflect on what once was and stare blankly into a future of dwindling supporter groups and financial stress which if not arrested right now, inevitably could lead to the demise of one of our great ‘Football Clubs’.”

Laird admits there will be those who shrug off his thoughts as scaremongering and the coach being “way over the top”, but he noted the comments of Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett on the demise of traditional Tasmanian state league clubs in Burnie and Devonport.

Kennett said he was worried about the declining health of football in Tasmania and he laid that at the feet of the previous administrators and AFL quite firmly.

“I am an admirer of sport at its elite levels,” Laird said. “The corporate juggernaut and the success of AFL is the envy of all sporting codes in this country.

Play VideoPlay
Mute
0:00
/
0:14
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

SANFL Rankine backflip
“Australian Rules Football would become an even more powerful force if second tier competitions felt they were a valued stakeholder in the game.

“At this critical junction in our SANFL landscape, those in positions of power must set agendas to one side and be uncompromised in their decision making. Our clubs must think outside the square in promoting and building new revenue streams, and our supporters must do as they always have, and follow their club in our ‘Tribal Wars’ and protect our glorious history and revitalise a great competition.”

LAIRD’S LETTER
The lack of urgency with the current plight of the SANFL is eating at me!

This treasured and history filled competition that has given me and many others decades of

memories now sits perilously close to a point of no return.

Clubs which once were the pinnacle of sporting prowess and community pride now solemnly reflect on what once was and stare blankly into a future of dwindling supporter groups and financial stress which if not arrested right now, inevitably could lead to the demise of one of our great ‘Football Clubs’.

Central coach Roy Laird has last minute instructions for his players.
‘Scaremongering, and way over the top Laird’, some will idly shrug off. Recently I took particular note of Jeff Kennett’s observations following the removal of 2 traditional Clubs in Burnie and Devonport from the Tasmanian State League. ‘I am worrying about the declining health of football in Tasmania and I lay that at the feet of previous administrators and AFL quite firmly’, he said. Sound Familiar?

Our Clubs’ foyers and hallways are littered with the photos and memorabilia of heroes of yesteryear.

The 1976 shots of Sturt’s Rick Davies sparked premiership over Port, the 1973 team photo with iconic Glenelg men in Kerley, Carey and Cornes, nostalgic 1978 images of the Wynne / Oatey clash and Norwood success and the achievements of the Mick Nunan led Roosters through the 80s and 90s.

I fear a fading appreciation for their and all our past heroes based on the decreasing level of interest and reduction in foot traffic through the doors of our traditional Clubs. What a sad day it would be should our ‘walk down memory lane’ be limited to a visit to the Adelaide Oval and SANFL Museum instead of an appreciation by supporters within our own Clubs.

I am an admirer of sport at its elite levels. The corporate juggernaut and the success of AFL is the envy of all sporting codes in this country. Australian Rules Football would become an even more powerful force if second tier competitions felt they were a valued stakeholder in the game and as a result also rallied behind the AFL competition. That is certainly not the thoughts of many within State Leagues as the strong grow stronger and others are left to fend for themselves, division and AFL sentiment will continue to grow.

Central coach Roy Laird at the quarter time break. Picture: TRICIA WATKINSON
Over the past decade, I have had a front row seat to the challenges, disappointments and mental illness of those who have been spat out of the AFL system or missed out on their dream of an AFL opportunity. This highlights the need for a strong 2nd tier competition for these people to feel relevant in their most exciting sporting years of their lives.

Due to the increasing differential in Salary Caps and falling crowd numbers, the mass exodus of players towards lower levels of football will continue increasing the rate of our overall demise.

At this critical junction in our SANFL landscape, those in positions of power must set agendas to one side and be uncompromised in their decision making. Our Clubs must think outside the square in promoting and building new revenue streams, and our supporters must do as they always have, and follow their Club in our ‘Tribal Wars’ and protect our glorious history and revitalise a great competition - ‘WE ARE PROUDLY SANFL’ – lets hope we continue to be!
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Guru Roy has said it again.

I thought this was the most interesting point in the letter:

Over the past decade, I have had a front row seat to the challenges, disappointments and mental illness of those who have been spat out of the AFL system or missed out on their dream of an AFL opportunity.

He's right - the AFL promises a lot to aspiring kids, and there are plenty who are mercilessly ejected from its ranks once they're considered expendable or surplus to requirements. That's the consequence of professionalism, which is great for those who make a career, but not much for the rest and only serves to disillusion those who don't make it. Doesn't mean they're no good, just not good enough or unlucky to not catch a break to play at their best consistently at the highest level. Pity they don't have somewhere where they can still play a high standard and considered worthwhile, rather than as AFL 'rejects' who ultimately wind up in the main not contributing their skills and knowledge to the footy world and languishing in lesser footy environments (said with the greatest of respect to them). The more the SANFL can position itself for those on the way down, not only those on the way up as it currently does, the better.
Last edited by Magellan on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

LAIRD’S LETTER

The lack of urgency with the current plight of the SANFL is eating at me!

This treasured and history filled competition that has given me and many others decades of memories now sits perilously close to a point of no return.

Clubs which once were the pinnacle of sporting prowess and community pride now solemnly reflect on what once was and stare blankly into a future of dwindling supporter groups and financial stress which if not arrested right now, inevitably could lead to the demise of one of our great ‘Football Clubs’.

‘Scaremongering, and way over the top Laird’, some will idly shrug off. Recently I took particular note of Jeff Kennett’s observations following the removal of 2 traditional Clubs in Burnie and Devonport from the Tasmanian State League. ‘I am worrying about the declining health of football in Tasmania and I lay that at the feet of previous administrators and AFL quite firmly’, he said. Sound Familiar?

Our Clubs’ foyers and hallways are littered with the photos and memorabilia of heroes of yesteryear.

The 1976 shots of Sturt’s Rick Davies sparked premiership over Port, the 1973 team photo with iconic Glenelg men in Kerley, Carey and Cornes, nostalgic 1978 images of the Wynne / Oatey clash and Norwood success and the achievements of the Mick Nunan led Roosters through the 80s and 90s.

I fear a fading appreciation for their and all our past heroes based on the decreasing level of interest and reduction in foot traffic through the doors of our traditional Clubs. What a sad day it would be should our ‘walk down memory lane’ be limited to a visit to the Adelaide Oval and SANFL Museum instead of an appreciation by supporters within our own Clubs.

I am an admirer of sport at its elite levels. The corporate juggernaut and the success of AFL is the envy of all sporting codes in this country. Australian Rules Football would become an even more powerful force if second tier competitions felt they were a valued stakeholder in the game and as a result also rallied behind the AFL competition. That is certainly not the thoughts of many within State Leagues as the strong grow stronger and others are left to fend for themselves, division and AFL sentiment will continue to grow.

Over the past decade, I have had a front row seat to the challenges, disappointments and mental illness of those who have been spat out of the AFL system or missed out on their dream of an AFL opportunity. This highlights the need for a strong 2nd tier competition for these people to feel relevant in their most exciting sporting years of their lives.

Due to the increasing differential in Salary Caps and falling crowd numbers, the mass exodus of players towards lower levels of football will continue increasing the rate of our overall demise.

At this critical junction in our SANFL landscape, those in positions of power must set agendas to one side and be uncompromised in their decision making. Our Clubs must think outside the square in promoting and building new revenue streams, and our supporters must do as they always have, and follow their Club in our ‘Tribal Wars’ and protect our glorious history and revitalise a great competition - ‘WE ARE PROUDLY SANFL’ – lets hope we continue to be!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL