Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:21 pm

MW wrote:Problem we (Crows) have is developing these dudes so well they are very valuable on the open market. Only got so much to work with on the salary cap ;)

Oh, I completely understand, I mean all of the recent premiership teams have had trouble keeping their lists together.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Fight! Fight! Fight!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

4 or 5 (depending on the scheduling in Round 23) home games I have no chance in attending.

As stated previously, it sucks if you're involved in local/country sports on Saturday.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Fight! Fight! Fight!

Well, it's not grand final day so he might. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Fight! Fight! Fight!

Well, it's not grand final day so he might. 8)

You and me both mate! #119
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
morell wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Hartlett, Watts, Westhoff, Wingard, Gray, Motlop, Thomas, Polec...seriously...what a bunch of fairies. A far sight from the fearsome Magpies units of old.

regards,

REB

Hawkins sends his regards
As does Stanley, Cockatoo, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and Menzel.

See, pretty easy to just pot blokes.

regards,

m

Cockatoo? LMAO. Menzel..a guy who has come back from four recons? If it's so easy how did you get it so wrong? Fair call on Murdoch though he's right up there.

Regards,

REB

If coming back from reconstructive knee surgery makes you a tough then I'm Glen Archer. Protip: it's actually not that bad and many people think acl repair using surgery isn't necessary.

But on Menzel, how are his tackle counts looking?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

morell wrote:If coming back from reconstructive knee surgery makes you a tough then I'm Glen Archer. Protip: it's actually not that bad and many people think acl repair using surgery isn't necessary.

I reckon it takes resilience to keep coming back. To me that shows toughness, mental toughness. I reckon there's different types of toughness. My Brother in law didn't have the op and went on to represent Australia in Gridiron. He went to Italy and bang went the knee in training. Poor bugger didn't even play a game. I reckon it might depend on the stability of the joint. Glad you came back and did well. Menzel isn't mobile and he isn't quick and he doesn't change direction well. These things would tend to inhibit a tackle count for mine, especially at the highest level.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree mate, that's footy. Port have recruited two blokes in particular who pick and choose when to go when you've got a few already like that in my book. The difference with Geelong is that you've named a couple of blokes who aren't (or shouldn't be) league footballers as well as a guy who tackles like a demon but can't get on the park. Murdoch is a worry. When you take blokes like that into finals you aren't winning them and that's why both of our sides didn't make the Granny last year...but your blokes recruited more. Good luck with that.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Problem we (Crows) have is developing these dudes so well they are very valuable on the open market. Only got so much to work with on the salary cap ;)

Oh, I completely understand, I mean all of the recent premiership teams have had trouble keeping their lists together.....

SMACKDOWN :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
morell wrote:If coming back from reconstructive knee surgery makes you a tough then I'm Glen Archer. Protip: it's actually not that bad and many people think acl repair using surgery isn't necessary.

I reckon it takes resilience to keep coming back. To me that shows toughness, mental toughness. I reckon there's different types of toughness. My Brother in law didn't have the op and went on to represent Australia in Gridiron. He went to Italy and bang went the knee in training. Poor bugger didn't even play a game. I reckon it might depend on the stability of the joint. Glad you came back and did well. Menzel isn't mobile and he isn't quick and he doesn't change direction well. These things would tend to inhibit a tackle count for mine, especially at the highest level.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree mate, that's footy. Port have recruited two blokes in particular who pick and choose when to go when you've got a few already like that in my book. The difference with Geelong is that you've named a couple of blokes who aren't (or shouldn't be) league footballers as well as a guy who tackles like a demon but can't get on the park. Murdoch is a worry. When you take blokes like that into finals you aren't winning them and that's why both of our sides didn't make the Granny last year...but your blokes recruited more. Good luck with that.

regards,

REB

Mental toughness mental fortitude
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 pm

PORT ADELAIDE players will take to the field this season with the distinctive Thrifty logo on their shorts as part of a new partnership with the Australian car rental company.

Thrifty, voted number one for hire cars in 2017 by Canstar, has signed on to become a Premier Partner of Port Adelaide and the club’s official car hire partner.

The partnership also includes Thrifty’s logo appearing on the club’s media backdrop.

In welcoming Thrifty, Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club was delighted to have on board a great national company that shared similar community values.

“The Port Adelaide Football Club is thrilled to welcome Thrifty on board as a Premier Partner in 2018,” said Mr Thomas.

“As Australia’s number one rental company for hire cars Thrifty has an outstanding reputation for delivering excellence and great results for their customers so we are very proud to welcome them on board.

“Like Port Adelaide, Thrifty also has a great sense of corporate social responsibility especially towards Indigenous Australians as the preferred car rental company for Supply Nation, a non-profit organisation that grows the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander business enterprise sector by promoting supplier diversity in Australia.

“We look forward to exploring opportunities as to how Thrifty can assist with the delivery of our industry-leading Aboriginal Programs, especially in remote areas such as the APY Lands and Barkly region.”

Thrifty CEO Tom Mooney said it was an honour to partner with Port Adelaide Football Club and the wider AFL community in opening up access to and participation in sporting events.

"At Thrifty we are passionate about creating positive change and our partnership with Port Adelaide will allow those involved to participate more easily in community through sporting events,” Mr Mooney said.

“We are excited about working with Port Adelaide to assist in delivering their industry leading Aboriginal Programs, improving access to mobility is at the core of what we do and opens up meaningful opportunities to not only reach sporting events, but also education, employment, family and friends.

“This partnership fits in the heart of our approach to boosting sustainable communities.”

RAA is Port Adelaide’s Membership Partner and Thrifty is also the exclusive and proud car rental provider to them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Thrifty. Thats ironic!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:Thrifty. Thats ironic!

Nothing wrong with aiming hire!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Well when you don’t have a Renault anymore you need to hire a car
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Rumours around Motlop has a significant groin problem and out for the pre season
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Was reported that he had a slight hamstring strain and ready for the first trial game. They may be fibbing. Has been known.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby morell » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB
oh look i agree, Port have a soft underbelly, but thats modern footy, so does every team, by old standards
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Reading the write ups from the intra-club.

Marshall needs to play Round 1. Dont care if that means Watts and Westhoff miss out, he plays.
morell
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am

Attended the member convention with Boon yesterday, sticking around for the internal afterwards.

Most of us are members of our respective football clubs. I have been a proud member of the PAFC since 1997. Most of us at one point or another have also felt disconnected from our football club. A number. "Thanks for your annual fee, here is "x" games + a family day- cheers". Gee, thanks.

For me, that point of disconnection came in 2011-12. We were a basket case both on and off the field, and going to the footy had never, nor has it since, been such a chore. Most with half a clue, knew the club was in dire straits (just how dire i'll touch on later). Many things had to change. Whilst the club was instructed by the SANFL to save in order to clear our mounting debts, truth was it needed to invest. That started with our members, and just how far we have come since our darkest days was on show for 750 members at this Australia-first event.

Boon and I both agreed, when the event schedule came through outlining the day footnoted by words along the lines of "phones and voice/video recording devices are strictly prohibited", we were in for a day well beyond the realms of media publications, press conferences, radio interviews and forum ramblings. For the average punter, closer to the inner sanctum of an AFL club we were not going to get.

By the time MC Dwayne Russell officially kicked off proceedings, and Ken had Boon ready to revisit his days down at Rutland avenue with a stirring introduction to season 2018, we were into the guts of the day.

List manager Jason Cripps and GM of Football Chris Davies (aka. George Costanza :lol: ) gave us a wonderful insight into list management, which was great for a draft nut like myself. The draft/trade period is like the stock exchange. Determining a juniors worth, the value of the picks you hold, and on the flip- the right time to trade (sell) a player on your list. Information on a particular player in the draft (or the draft itself) and the ability to manage your list to remain in flag contention by determining whether to attack the draft or FA list is fairly obvious to most fans. What we don't see as fans is the level of data captured on each player. How far out Jason and his team analyse each draft and the systems we use to attract free agents to the club. Magnificent. I was immersed.

Performance and List Analytics Manager, Michael Regan was next to the stage. A pitcher to a batter in baseball has 540 possible statistical outcomes. Hamish Hartlett with a kick out of the back pocket carries roughly 12,600 possible outcomes. You wot m8? Charles Barkley's not so encouraging assessment of sports analysts (himself an NBA analyst for a hint of irony) proved the incebreaker, Michael captivating the crowd with an in depth look at the level of data storage within the walls of the PAFC, the varying data types relative to game day (presented by Senior Analyst, Chris Sheedy), high performance etc, and the sheer size of his department (9 FTE in analytics alone :shock: ).

Matty Nicks (who is this bloke and what does he do?- Ken Hinkley) was first up after our morning refreshment to give the fans what they came for- insight from our coaches, and a look at our game plan. Starting off with the term "runway" had Boon and I exchanging raised eyebrows, but before too long, the fans were subjected to vision from training sessions showing exactly what the coaching staff were looking for, and on occasion, where our players were going against coaches instruction. Magnificent stuff. For the record- the "runway" is internal lingo for corridor footy. Hardly sharing groundbreaking IP there.

Voss and Bass went into great depth concerning our midfield and backs, with Jared Polec, Steven Motlop, Jack Hombsch and Hamish Hartlett offering us the "player view" in these incredibly insightful discussions. Vossy began discussing the 2 season defining moments for 2017- Ryder to Gray, and the infamous Shuey free kick. Ryder to Gray was used to emphasise how each player performed their role in order for Gray to execute the play. I mean- how Boon missed the likes of Amon & Ebert pulling out of the contest to minimise congestion and how the forwards pushed deep to open up the 50 for Gray to have a ping, but the lass in front got it all first take shows you the level of intricacy involved. Or maybe she was full of sh*t and Boon was in a cab- yep, that is about right ;) . Anyway, back to seriousness, the concept of shape was used by both Voss and Bass to describe the systems we use. Very much a 2013-15 Hawthorn model I felt. Whether we have missed the boat, or whether seasons 2016-17 were the outliers remains to be seen, but Bass is all about control from the back half. Composure. Getting back to the Shuey free. I did find it interesting that the bloke who has been hung to dry since that night (Polly) was the only player following instruction set by the coaches for that set play. Whilst tackle execution was poor, had players been set up correctly, Polly never would have been put in that situation, and we were off to the Sydney Showgrounds the next week. Sometimes it isn't always what you see.

Ladey was up next. "How come we don't kick enough goals" was just one of the probing questions fired at him, but its clear he isn't happy with our F50 efficiency, nor scoring accuracy. We generate high volumes of F50 entries, but either release the footy too easily, or cramp ourselves up in low percentage areas of the forward line. With 10 forwards set to be squeezed into 6 according to our supporters ( :lol: ), Lade stated that we will intend to play a three forward system in our forward 50 in a triangle (deep forward and two forwards I’d assume) and three high forwards that are meant to be auxiliary midfielders and help out with defence. His main statement was that if you’re not kicking goals, you need to be applying pressure. Watts will be playing both roles. Lade also spoke of the position of being a dual threat as a forward - the sweet spot where a player can drop deep goal side or lead up to the kicker. He showed vision of Wingard working hard to provide a deep option that was ignored because the play went wide - out of the corridor. He also showed vision of a successful block to create space for Dixon. Once again- hardly groundbreaking, but things to look for when watching from the stands.

Head of Football Development, Aaron Greaves and Carl Woods (manager of Skill aquisition) took us on a path never considered by the contingent of members- the art of communication. The club has appointed professors in language and communication to assist our coaches on how to impart knowledge to our playing group. I loved this segment, seriously underrated and not even considered by myself before Saturday.

Head of High Performance, Ian McKeown, Tim O'Leary (Head of Medical Services/Head Physio) and Stuart Graham (Head of Sports science and conditioning) rounded out the representatives from the coaching group, with a brilliant delve into the impact and use of GPS technology, where members were given a look at what the average week looks like and how data analysis isn't limited to just kms covered during training session, but tracking a players sleep patterns and muscle strength to prevent mental or physical injury, monitoring loads on the track, in the gym and even in the lunchroom. In.Sane.

KT and Kochie rounded out the day with a look at our strategic agenda heading to 2020. KT. Seriously, you could have heard a pin drop when the man had the microphone, and his recap of our darkest days and the steps taken to ensure we are here now pushing strongly towards the next generation of this clubs proud history, nearly had me in tears. He stated one thing that hit home for me, confirming that we were 2 years away from having our AFL licence stripped from us. My lord. He spoke about the pushback we received from the SANFL when trying to invest in the football department in order to grow, with the SANFL basically saying "save your way out of this mess". Proves that he really is calm and collected, but our board is bold and brave. Mock Kochie all you want, but had it not been for innovative thinking, or even being brave enough to spend to begin with- I wouldn't be here talking PAFC at the elite level with you today.

As for the internal, I’ll let somebody else cover that. I was mentally stuffed by then. SPP was everywhere sporting a nude nut, Marshall did a couple of things to suggest he will be a star of the future, Boak was winding back the clock, and I was thankful. Thankful for standing in front of the Quinn stand as the sun set, knowing barring the unthinkable, I’ll be there every year for the next generation doing the same thing, based on information I had heard an hour or so before. Thankful that I was watching an internal play out, having a semblance of understanding of what it is our playing group are trying to achieve in 2018, thanks to my club opening its doors.

We are not perfect. We still have a way to go. Our balance sheet needs boosting. Our lone AFL cup in the foyer of the Port Club needs company, but; I write to you knowing that my, wait, our club, is leaving no stone unturned in pursuit of the ultimate success and never ending improvement, in order to make its community proud. A community it lost touch with, but is re-engaging with like never before, and not just within 5015.

Thank you PAFC. I have never felt more connected.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 am

Excellent review mate.

I think if was to summarize the day it would be that I've got a greater appreciation for what the coaches are trying to implement on field and greater understanding of how much goes on off field to give them the best opportunity to succeed in implementing those strategies.

If any club follows suit and you're a member of that club I'd urge you to get along, even if it's only half as inclusive and "open door" as Port Adelaide was on Saturday you'd be mad to miss it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am

Nice summary, good read, unsurprisingly it sounds very similar to the Crows session I went to last year.

Good to hear that Port acknowledge how close to the bone they were financially.

One thing Ive picked up is the intense focus on what players are doing without the ball, while most fans focus on the exact opposite. Even Dusty/Danger/Gaz Jnr at best will only have the ball in their hands for 1-2% of the game time,
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL