The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

PORT Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson is set to become a candidate for Nick Xenophon’s SA Best party ahead of the state election in March.

Mr Xenophon will today announce more candidates, and is also strongly expected to back Marion Mayor Kris Hanna in a bid to return to State Parliament.

Mr Johanson is a former Liberal who has contested the seats of Port Adelaide and Lee in the north western suburbs as an independent.

Mr Hanna is a former Labor MP who unsuccessfully sought to return to Parliament as an independent after leaving the party.

The Advertiser understands Mr Xenophon will confirm Mr Johanson and Mr Hannah as his latest candidates at noon — which will be broadcast live on TheAdvertiser.com.au.

He has so far announced 13 candidates, the overwhelming majority of which are in Liberal seats.

However, he says that balance will soon be tipped back in the other direction.

On ABC Radio today, Mr Xenophon said Mr Johanson would help “even the tally”.

“We want to take seats off Labor. We think that Labor has failed their heartland,” he said.

The seat of Port Adelaide is held by Education and Child Development Minister Susan Close.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am

Don't read too much into the return of manufacturing at Holden being spruiked.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 am

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:I believe the current Mayor or Port Adelaide will make an announcement on his stance soon.

I dont think he will run.

I think he will, I think he'll be an X Man.

Press conference at noon.

Finger. Pulse.
On the 11am news and yes finger, pulse.
Thought he could achieve more as Mayor tbh.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:17 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:On the 11am news and yes finger, pulse.
Thought he could achieve more as Mayor tbh.

He's picked someone who is beatable, Close isn't exactly winning with Education and Child Development at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Don't read too much into the return of manufacturing at Holden being spruiked.

Fill the media space with unfounded speculation and diversions, nah..... it'll never catch on
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Don't read too much into the return of manufacturing at Holden being spruiked.

Fill the media space with unfounded speculation and diversions, nah..... it'll never catch on

There have been empty buildings for years in Edinburgh parks. If there was industry wanting to come here, they likely will have already done it.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm

am Bays wrote:

All based upon a letter written by the Artful Dodger and dropped to the press outlets
Last election it was Gillman. He needed to do something different for this election
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Old Red » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

All based upon a letter written by the Artful Dodger and dropped to the press outlets
Last election it was Gillman. He needed to do something different for this election

Whos the Artful Dodger ?
Old Red
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Old Red wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Whos the Artful Dodger ?
Tom Kosimusless.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 am

I understand that the concern around some Lib country seats is very real. Not just a media beat-up.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I understand that the concern around some Lib country seats is very real. Not just a media beat-up.
Country folk aren't dumb and the Liberals have done nothing as since 2002. Labor thinks SA stops at Gepps Cross and the Toll Gate.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am

Do the wider public see SA Best bringing in a father and son team with an engineering background to run directly against Weatherill and Marshall as the stunt it is and nothing more?

Neither of the Noonan's live in the electorates they are running in and neither of them have any real political background. ( John Snr had a time in the Labor party, I believe ).

John Jnr, Jack, is a nice chap to deal with but I'm not sure he'll usurp Marshall.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I understand that the concern around some Lib country seats is very real. Not just a media beat-up.
Within farming community there is resentment that they were flaccid when the opportunity to end moratorium on GM crops came up.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Q. wrote:
Within farming community there is resentment that they were flaccid when the opportunity to end moratorium on GM crops came up.

Flaccid? I'd call Ridgway anything but flaccid, plus there's not a lot you can do when you dont have the numbers
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-11-16/south-australia-gm-ban-extension-to-2025/9155994

Doesn't this just sum up Weatherill:
"The truth is there are not a lot of votes out there in country South Australia for us, so in some ways we are free of the electoral imperatives about this," Mr Weatherill told the ABC's Landline program back in July.

In other words: we'll stick it up the farmers for not voting for us
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Rubbish. He's being honest by representing the people that voted for him and what he feels is the right thing to do.

Wish more politicians would take that sort of stand, actually, otherwise there's no point in even having policies or elections.

Like it, or not, he's being consistent and you know what you're voting for (or against):

Jay Weatherill is a strong and vocal supporter of the GM ban, and earlier in the year said he would not be pressured by the grains industry to scrap the ban.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

morell wrote:Rubbish. He's being honest by representing the people that voted for him and what he feels is the right thing to do.

Wish more politicians would take that sort of stand, actually, otherwise there's no point in even having policies or elections.

Like it, or not, he's being consistent and you know what you're voting for (or against):

Jay Weatherill is a strong and vocal supporter of the GM ban, and earlier in the year said he would not be pressured by the grains industry to scrap the ban.

Yeah, nothing to see here: "The truth is there are not a lot of votes out there in country South Australia for us, so in some ways we are free of the electoral imperatives about this,"

In other words: "I would have changed if it meant critical votes"
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 pm

morell wrote:Rubbish. He's being honest by representing the people that voted for him and what he feels is the right thing to do.

So do you think a member of parliament should only represent those that voted for him/her to get in? Or once in, they should represent everyone in their electorate?

I believe a strong leader will do the latter, while a weaker person will fall for the former in an effort to seek re-election, rather than doing "what's right".
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Trader wrote:

So do you think a member of parliament should only represent those that voted for him/her to get in? Or once in, they should represent everyone in their electorate?

I believe a strong leader will do the latter, while a weaker person will fall for the former in an effort to seek re-election, rather than doing "what's right".

I'm sure Morrell doesn't think that. But if you don't think that's how politics works, you're very naive.
You're talking a perfect-world scenario.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yeah, nothing to see here: "The truth is there are not a lot of votes out there in country South Australia for us, so in some ways we are free of the electoral imperatives about this,"

In other words: "I would have changed if it meant critical votes"

No, you're projecting your myopic view of the world onto what he is saying. Your AdelAIDS is clouding your judgement.

He absolutely should not follow the electoral prerogatives of people that didn't vote for him, because to do so, would mean he would be against the people that did! He is standing up for his electoral promises. If he didn't, you'd be the first one to say "See! He's a flip flopper politician with no backbone"
Last edited by morell on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Trader wrote:

So let me get this straight. Weatherall sticks to what he has always said, in counter to "getting votes in the country" and he is therefore not representing everyone and is weak?

Sorry mate but that's an utterly absurd argument, is not at all how it should work and is the epitome of what is wrong with modern day political thought.

Politicians and parties should have clearly defined policies and positions, which people then choose to support and elect accordingly to implement those policies.

Changing or shifting ground to feed at the tit of perceived populism erodes at the foundations of democracy.

Who gets to decide "whats right"? It's tough to judge. Hence the need for clear policies and sticking to them. And in my view, that's exactly what he has done here.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics