Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Brodlach » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:01 pm

From AFL.com.au

Ports best 22, if they play at their best they will be hard to hold out. Too many ifs for my liking

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Clurey, Tom Jonas
HB: Hamish Hartlett, Jack Hombsch, Matthew Broadbent
C: Steven Motlop, Ollie Wines, Jared Polec
HF: Travis Boak, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard
F: Sam Gray, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Tom Rockliff, Brad Ebert
I/C: Jasper Pittard, Jack Watts, Karl Amon, Sam Powell-Pepper

DEPTH

General defenders: Riley Bonner, Dan Houston, Emmanuel Irra, Trent McKenzie
Key defenders: Dougal Howard, Jarrod Lienert
Midfielders: Joe Atley, Dom Barry, Willem Drew, Kane Farrell, Joel Garner, Cam Hewett, Jake Patmore, Jack Trengove, Jimmy Toumpas, Will Snelling
General forwards: Aidyn Johnson, Jake Neade, Lindsay Thomas
Key forwards: Todd Marshall
Ruckmen: Billy Frampton, Sam Hayes, Peter Ladhams

NOTES: It's an embarrassment of riches for Power coach Ken Hinkley after the off-season additions of Tom Rockliff, Steven Motlop and Jack Watts. All three go straight into the best 22. I couldn't find room for promising key defender Dougal Howard or half-back flanker Dan Houston. Both players can consider themselves unlucky after strong form at the end of the year, but I've gone with the more experienced Jack Hombsch, Matthew Broadbent and Jasper Pittard. I've also left out North Melbourne veteran Lindsay Thomas, but he'll be challenging strongly for a spot in the star-studded forward line. Expect to see Rockliff, Motlop, captain Travis Boak and Chad Wingard rotate through the midfield and half-forward. Three-time All Australian Robbie Gray can also be used in bursts on the ball. - Lee Gaskin
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Howard absolutely replaces Hombsch at CHB. Hombsch is more suited to the 3rd tall/intercept than a key post. Houston replaces Broadbent, who will struggle to get games next year I feel.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jim05 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Defence looks their weakest area on paper. Very formidable midfield and a pretty good forward line.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brodlach » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Not sure about Westoff at CHF.

If Dixon gets injured the forward line looks a little sparse
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Brodlach wrote:Not sure about Westoff at CHF.

If Dixon gets injured the forward line looks a little sparse

Surely they persist with Marshall or bring Watts in for Westhoff.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby valleys07 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:Defence looks their weakest area on paper. Very formidable midfield and a pretty good forward line.

Not sure I agree with that. Defensively we were one of the best teams in the comp last year, with Essendon and Adelaide the only teams to really get a hold of us all year. Jonas in the AA 40, Clurey cemented his spot at FB and Howard showed all the signs of becoming a 10 year CHB.

Midfield looked decidedly one paced last year, so when teams got a hold of us in the contested stakes, it was game over. Rockliff will add forward versatility to allow Gray and Wingard more time through the midfield alongside Wines, Ebert and SPP, as well as Polec, Amon and Motlop adding speed on the wings, making our midfield more multidimensional.

I will back Watts to start at CHF. Should be competing with Westhoff for a spot.

As for Marshall, it will depend on whether Ken wants to play a 3 tall forward line. Considering what the past 2 premiership teams have won flags with, Dixon and Watts/Westhoff will be all we should start with, IMO.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:41 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Defence looks their weakest area on paper. Very formidable midfield and a pretty good forward line.

Not sure I agree with that. Defensively we were one of the best teams in the comp last year, with Essendon and Adelaide the only teams to really get a hold of us all year. Jonas in the AA 40, Clurey cemented his spot at FB and Howard showed all the signs of becoming a 10 year CHB.

Midfield looked decidedly one paced last year, so when teams got a hold of us in the contested stakes, it was game over. Rockliff will add forward versatility to allow Gray and Wingard more time through the midfield alongside Wines, Ebert and SPP, as well as Polec, Amon and Motlop adding speed on the wings, making our midfield more multidimensional.

I will back Watts to start at CHF. Should be competing with Westhoff for a spot.

As for Marshall, it will depend on whether Ken wants to play a 3 tall forward line. Considering what the past 2 premiership teams have won flags with, Dixon and Watts/Westhoff will be all we should start with, IMO.

Maybe too many lock down defenders in that back 6? doesnt really strike fear into opposition teams that they are going to intercept and then rebound

Second tall forward is still an issue, until Marshall is a regular which might not be this year.

Midfield looks very good though, one of the best when you think players like boak gray and wingard might not even start there.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pistol Pete » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 am

I really want to see more of Marshall. Any year older, more bulk and he will start to come along.
Pistol Pete

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 am

Watts couldn't get a gig at Melbourne and he walks straight into the Power's best 22. Plenty of hype about this side but this observer is skeptical.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Watts couldn't get a gig at Melbourne and he walks straight into the Power's best 22. Plenty of hype about this side but this observer is skeptical.

regards,

REB

At best!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am

JASON Cripps will remain at Port Adelaide as list manager, the former Saint having decided not to pursue a senior position at St Kilda.

Cripps, a former St Kilda player and assistant coach, was among the candidates for a senior role in St Kilda’s football department, which could be revamped following the exit from the Saints of incoming Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains.

The Saints will hire someone to replace Bains — who was chief operating officer and was involved in football and commercial operations — but club sources said they had not decided whether they would create a new position as head of football or appoint someone to a different football role in another structure.

If a senior football department head is appointed, he would sit above St Kilda football manager Jamie Cox.

Recruiting manager Tony Elshaug is contracted for next year and will remain in that role, while three of his recruiting staff also are contracted for 2018.

Wayne Hughes, the former recruiting boss at Carlton and a member of St Kilda’s recruitment team, has been offered a part time role.

Cripps is said to be happy at Port, which showed faith in the former Saint and were supportive of him after he suffered a heart attack in 2015.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

New pre season Guernsey looks good, they should **** off turquoise from all their jumpers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:New pre season Guernsey looks good, they should **** off turquoise from all their jumpers.

That's what they've been doing over the last 10 years. Teal has turned into royal blue. Only a matter of time until it goes altogether. Eddie McGuire is the only person standing in their way.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm

MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:New pre season Guernsey looks good, they should **** off turquoise from all their jumpers.

That's what they've been doing over the last 10 years. Teal has turned into royal blue. Only a matter of time until it goes altogether. Eddie McGuire is the only person standing in their way.

They've never worn royal blue, it's turquoise. Suppose to be teal though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Booney wrote:JASON Cripps will remain at Port Adelaide as list manager, the former Saint having decided not to pursue a senior position at St Kilda.

Cripps, a former St Kilda player and assistant coach, was among the candidates for a senior role in St Kilda’s football department, which could be revamped following the exit from the Saints of incoming Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains.

The Saints will hire someone to replace Bains — who was chief operating officer and was involved in football and commercial operations — but club sources said they had not decided whether they would create a new position as head of football or appoint someone to a different football role in another structure.

If a senior football department head is appointed, he would sit above St Kilda football manager Jamie Cox.

Recruiting manager Tony Elshaug is contracted for next year and will remain in that role, while three of his recruiting staff also are contracted for 2018.

Wayne Hughes, the former recruiting boss at Carlton and a member of St Kilda’s recruitment team, has been offered a part time role.

Cripps is said to be happy at Port, which showed faith in the former Saint and were supportive of him after he suffered a heart attack in 2015.

Or in other words, was told he would not get the job
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby MW » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

But no, he chose to stay and not take the promotion :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:

They've never worn royal blue, it's turquoise. Suppose to be teal though.

Who actually gives a f#ck about what you call a color? Seriously :roll:
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby valleys07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:JASON Cripps will remain at Port Adelaide as list manager, the former Saint having decided not to pursue a senior position at St Kilda.

Or in other words, was told he would not get the job

Fine by me.

Crippa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Daylight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Clayton.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 am

PORT ADELAIDE welcomed world-class strength and conditioning coach Brett Bartholomew to Alberton today to provide the playing group with a different perspective on their pre-season training.

Bartholomew and Port Adelaide’s Head of High Performance Ian McKeown struck up a strong relationship in Phoenix, where the pair met many years ago at a strength and conditioning conference.

The two have been in regular contact throughout the years, and the American strength and conditioning guru said he was excited to be involved with the Power for a day, in their open environment.

“A lot of times in high performance it is heavily siloed but here it speaks to Ian McKeown and the Port Adelaide Football Club– there are no secrets, it’s an open door,” Bartholomew told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“It’s not just about what they do but how they do it.

“That is perhaps how they separate themselves from any other sporting culture or organisation that I have seen.”

Bartholomew was blown away by the strength and power of the playing group, combined with their ‘elite’ aerobic endurance.

“When watching these guys take everything in their stride – their engine is inexorable,” he said.

“The endurance and the qualities that come with that, and the level of resilience they have speaks to the culture and values at Port Adelaide.”

McKeown was equally as thrilled to have Bartholomew join the football department for the day, and said it is great to have someone with Bartholomew’s experience bringing a fresh set of eyes to the group.

“He is very much an expert in his field. He is an internationally renowned strength coach, adjunct professor, and he’s also an acclaimed author,” McKeown said.

“It’s great to get that lateral or left-of-field opinion of what we are doing, and it also keeps us on our toes as well.

“We want to be seen as one of the best programs in the world, and there is no better marker than getting information from Brett.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 am

Interesting comments by Watts saying Port are in a better position to win the flag than Melbourne.
Treloar 2.0?
When do Port play Melbourne next year?
MW
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL