The Ashes 2017/2018

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 am

bennymacca wrote:
Coach Bombay wrote:It's been 4044 days since Paine last scored a first class hundred. Just let that sink in...

Sayers deserves it more than PC but the love of 150+ seamers will see PC get the 3rd spot.

Darren Lehmann has scored a first class hundred more recently that Tim Paine

I think Bancroft is fair enough. Paine I can almost stomach. Almost.

But marsh?!?!?

If they wanna pick a 34 year old Cowan and ferg are both much better options.

Hell even Maxwell averaged 37 in his stint on the subcontinent and has gone ok in the shield.

I just cannot fathom picking marsh again. It makes zero sense

Would Hohns and Chappell be good mates with Swampy Marsh, you reckon?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am

Anyone read what Hohns said?
Went into great detail about the selection of Bancroft and to a lesser extent Paine but very little about why Marsh was selected.
Surely they are taking the piss or just trying to prove to someone that hey we are most influential people in Australian cricket and we can select anyone we want.
I really think Mark Waugh is the main problem on the selection panel, every time you hear him on the Big Bash coverage you think arrogant pompous twat, very Bennymacca like ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Corona Man » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone read what Hohns said? Hi
Went into great detail about the selection of Bancroft and to a lesser extent Paine but very little about why Marsh was selected.
Surely they are taking the piss or just trying to prove to someone that hey we are most influential people in Australian cricket and we can select anyone we want.
I really think Mark Waugh is the main problem on the selection panel, every time you hear him on the Big Bash coverage you think arrogant pompous twat, very Bennymacca like ;)

Junior when in full flight was an elegant batsman to watch, can't be same be said of Bennymacca?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am

daysofourlives wrote:you think arrogant pompous twat, very morell like ;)

fixed that for you :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 am

I've calmed slightly.. and this might be a bit of a pipe dream but..

They haven't got an all-rounder in the likely line up - is there a chance Cummins could play as the all rounder and Marsh wont play, and Bird will play instead? :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 am

The Bedge wrote:I've calmed slightly.. and this might be a bit of a pipe dream but..

They haven't got an all-rounder in the likely line up - is there a chance Cummins could play as the all rounder and Marsh wont play, and Bird will play instead? :D

[-o< [-o<

No chance i would say
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 am

Whilat on the surface this is not good news for Alex Carey it says he's next in line IMO. Selectors have basically put a line through Neville and Wade.

He keeps making runs I wouldn't mind betting he's on the next ASHES tour as the back up 'keeper.

Been interesting reading the on-line comments of some grade cricketers in Tassie this morning. Paine has basically been shafted over the last three years as internal politics in Tassie and pressure from CA have conspired to see Paine missing out on Shield games as the pick Triffit, Doran and Now Wade over him when he is the better 'keeper.

The good guy and good 'keeper has finally been rewarded.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby stan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am

The Bedge wrote:I've calmed slightly.. and this might be a bit of a pipe dream but..

Cummins isnt quite there yet at the No.7 stage. Whilst he shows promise with the bat it would be an issue. I tend to agree that we forget the all-arounder and look to develop a mid - lower order that allows for suitable batting depth and the 5 bowlers. However we are some way off that to be honest.

Starc offers assistance I can see a future where a player like Cummins develops in to a player who can hold his own at 7. It is sort of in the mold of how Shaun Pollock moved into his role batting 7.

Guys like Starc and Patterson for example look like they can average mid 20's at test level which is great for 8 and 9. Hazelwood is ok ans Lyon is rather hit and miss.

If cummins can look to take the steps tp develop into a guy who can average mid 20's to low 30's then you could do something like the following:

(purely just for example ok everyone)

1. Warner
2. Rennshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Hanschomb
6. Bancroft or similar
7. Cummins
8. Patto
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Lyon

You could even play the 2nd spinner or eve have player like Sayers for variation.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 am

am Bays wrote:
Been interesting reading the on-line comments of some grade cricketers in Tassie this morning. Paine has basically been shafted over the last three years as internal politics in Tassie and pressure from CA have conspired to see Paine missing out on Shield games as the pick Triffit, Doran and Now Wade over him when he is the better 'keeper.

Over the broken finger fiasco?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

am Bays wrote:Been interesting reading the on-line comments of some grade cricketers in Tassie this morning. Paine has basically been shafted over the last three years as internal politics in Tassie and pressure from CA have conspired to see Paine missing out on Shield games as the pick Triffit, Doran and Now Wade over him when he is the better 'keeper.

Interesting reading comments, Brett Geeves said in hir article that the politics and pressure from CA basically cost TAS the shield win yesterday as well, as they allowed Paine to bat when they should've declared, and allowed him to bat long enough to hit a score - all the while knowing the rain was coming.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am

heater31 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Over the broken finger fiasco?

Post recovery he was overlooked for various reasons and he was given chances too play but at various times didn't perform either it must be said
However it was especially the case last year when they gave the gloves to Doran when Paine was back 'keeping well in grade cricket, he was selected late last year and was very good with gloves (see youtube video two pages earlier) and bat so much so that he was selected in the Australian T 20 side. This year with Wade coming back he was over-looked due to external pressures but was obviously still in the mind of national selectors as he was mad e captain and 'keeper of the CA XI.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

am Bays wrote:Whilat on the surface this is not good news for Alex Carey it says he's next in line IMO. Selectors have basically put a line through Neville and Wade.

He keeps making runs I wouldn't mind betting he's on the next ASHES tour as the back up 'keeper.

What makes your gentleman's sausage move more, the prospect of a "pure" wicketkeeper being selected or Graham Cornes coming back to coach the Yabs? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am

The Bedge wrote:
am Bays wrote:Been interesting reading the on-line comments of some grade cricketers in Tassie this morning. Paine has basically been shafted over the last three years as internal politics in Tassie and pressure from CA have conspired to see Paine missing out on Shield games as the pick Triffit, Doran and Now Wade over him when he is the better 'keeper.

Interesting reading comments, Brett Geeves said in hir article that the politics and pressure from CA basically cost TAS the shield win yesterday as well, as they allowed Paine to bat when they should've declared, and allowed him to bat long enough to hit a score - all the while knowing the rain was coming.

Geeves is a massive F*** wit in my opinion, his opinions match whichever way the breeze is blowing a Fox Sports studios.

He's banged on about experienced players being overlooked (ageist selection policies) and now two are selected, he'll whinge about them being selected.
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Whilat on the surface this is not good news for Alex Carey it says he's next in line IMO. Selectors have basically put a line through Neville and Wade.

What makes your gentleman's sausage move more, the prospect of a "pure" wicketkeeper being selected or Graham Cornes coming back to coach the Yabs? :lol:

Lokes coaching at Port is up* there....
am Bays
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

Coach Bombay wrote:It's been 4044 days since Paine last scored a first class hundred. Just let that sink in...

The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone read what Hohns said?
"Shaun is playing very well at the moment, having scored consistently in the JLT One-Day Cup and first three rounds of the JLT Sheffield Shield competition," said Hohns.

"He is a versatile player who can slot in anywhere in the batting order and will add valuable experience to the batting line-up."
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 am

I've consulted my 12 year old son and we've applied through the BD&M's to change his last name to Marsh.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:53 am

Attachments
2DB3E2AD-6699-49AB-9BA3-E6EE9F49DCAE.jpeg
2DB3E2AD-6699-49AB-9BA3-E6EE9F49DCAE.jpeg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 324 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I've consulted my 12 year old son and we've applied through the BD&M's to change his last name to Marsh.

I'm pleased to announce he will now come under serious consideration for the next Australian Ashes series.. Congratulations!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I've consulted my 12 year old son and we've applied through the BD&M's to change his last name to Marsh.

I'm pleased to announce he will now come under serious consideration for the next Australian Ashes series.. Congratulations!

Poor kid got burnt on the weekend, made his 50 and then walked off, the coaches had a bit of an argument over the rules, our coach just called him back to finish the over to keep the peace, he tries to hit a 6 next ball and got caught LOL.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket