Not all black and white

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Not all black and white

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:The players back in those days would have come into contact with each other very rarely - on the field and the occasional state practice session. They wouldn't have known each other like they do today via things such as 'training academies' and draft camps that the good players get involved with from very early these days. Also, the fact that families have more than one car these days and can travel more plus the use of modern communications (such as social networking) means that players would now be very attuned to each other, their personalities and developing friendships outside of their clubs.

If you went to school in Glenelg area, you played for Glenelg, thus from Samboy Cup days you would be playing against the Port boys who grew up in the Port, or the North boys who grew up around North, there was no such thing as two lads who grew up in the same street and went to school together ending up at different clubs, it just didn't happen.

Yep. Correct.
Playing Samboy Cup, you knew their names and you might recognise by sight one or two of the 'stars' expected to go on and do something, but you rarely knew them as people.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Even the AFL bid aside, the footy landscape and culture was so different back then. Today, so many opposition players at any level of footy are mates off the field and hang out with one another, but it was pretty rare to happen back in those days. Some sides loathed others (was usually a mutual feeling).

Can't speak for other clubs, but those Port blokes back then lived in a pretty unique environment and were thick as thieves.

Yeah fair point. Probably shows how far the game has come in the last 25 or so years in terms of professionalism. Certainly had moved from a pure tribal type atmosphere to a more professional one.

Yeah I think the game has moved in line with societal standards/expectations

The players back in those days would have come into contact with each other very rarely - on the field and the occasional state practice session. They wouldn't have known each other like they do today via things such as 'training academies' and draft camps that the good players get involved with from very early these days. Also, the fact that families have more than one car these days and can travel more plus the use of modern communications (such as social networking) means that players would now be very attuned to each other, their personalities and developing friendships outside of their clubs.

Still though. I grew up playing footy for Freeling, whose biggest rivals were Kapunda, where I went to high school. The games were fierce and I hated kapunda with a passion - but I went to school with them on Monday and were mates with a lot of them.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am

Because you knew them.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Even the AFL bid aside, the footy landscape and culture was so different back then. Today, so many opposition players at any level of footy are mates off the field and hang out with one another, but it was pretty rare to happen back in those days. Some sides loathed others (was usually a mutual feeling).

Can't speak for other clubs, but those Port blokes back then lived in a pretty unique environment and were thick as thieves.

Hodges has just spent all of 1990 ripping the Bays a new one, including in the GF (Cornsey infamously reminding the Port boys "they had no right" to win that on ) along with the '88 defeat over the Bays.

Then within weeks of the '90 Grand final Hodges was into the Crows squad with very few other Port blokes (Abernethy, Smith, Tregenza, Brown, Hughes) and was immersed into a franchise that's back bone was black and yellow, not blue, red and yellow.

Impossible to expect him to embrace that change or feel comfortable doing so.

Whilst that may be true, he wasn't forced to do so. He chose to sign for the crows.

He talks about never feeling like he was truly accepted into the team - maybe because he never truly gave it his all either.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 am

Booney wrote:Hodges has just spent all of 1990 ripping the Bays a new one, including in the GF (Cornsey infamously reminding the Port boys "they had no right" to win that on )

You have grossly misquoted what Cornes said. He never, ever, ever said "they had no right to win". What he did say was there was "no logical reason" why Port should have won - and taken in context was extremely complimentary of Cahill & the players. He lamented that Glenelg had "everything going for them", he also said Port showed more "discipline, desperation, commitment and were magnificent - you should be proud" Cornes then followed with "You have my respect".
The only crack Cornes had was at a couple of administrators - which was well deserved.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Hodges has just spent all of 1990 ripping the Bays a new one, including in the GF (Cornsey infamously reminding the Port boys "they had no right" to win that on ) along with the '88 defeat over the Bays.

Then within weeks of the '90 Grand final Hodges was into the Crows squad with very few other Port blokes (Abernethy, Smith, Tregenza, Brown, Hughes) and was immersed into a franchise that's back bone was black and yellow, not blue, red and yellow.

Whilst that may be true, he wasn't forced to do so. He chose to sign for the crows.

He talks about never feeling like he was truly accepted into the team - maybe because he never truly gave it his all either.

As you rightly noted earlier, that was to play the highest level possible, little did he know how that would unfold.

You've question his commitment, on what basis?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:Hodges has just spent all of 1990 ripping the Bays a new one, including in the GF (Cornsey infamously reminding the Port boys "they had no right" to win that on )

You have grossly misquoted what Cornes said. He never, ever, ever said "they had no right to win". What he did say was there was "no logical reason" why Port should have won - and taken in context was extremely complimentary of Cahill & the players. He lamented that Glenelg had "everything going for them", he also said Port showed more "discipline, desperation, commitment and were magnificent - you should be proud" Cornes then followed with "You have my respect".
The only crack Cornes had was at a couple of administrators - which was well deserved.

Thus I put " " around it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:01 pm

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Booney wrote:
You've question his commitment, on what basis?

I thought this was a given, based on the excerpts

"The truth is my heart was never really in it with Adelaide"

"It says a bit about how I felt playing for the Crows that the happiest moment of my 1992 season was playing for Port in the SANFL finals"

"I had never had any real interest in playing for a State composite team. As a Port man I was even hostile to the idea at first."
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Given the atmosphere of the time, those thoughts were fair enough.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Given the atmosphere of the time, those thoughts were fair enough.

Then why play for them? Money?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Naivety.
Going with the drift of a historic moment.
Expectation.
Hope that all of his worst expectations might not eventuate.
Believing what was sold to him in regards to everyone being united.
Hoping to bluff his way through it.
You never know if you never go.

I think we've all made decisions based upon some of these things in our own lives.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 pm

MW wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Given the atmosphere of the time, those thoughts were fair enough.

Sure as hell wasn't for the money back then!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Naivety.
Expectation.

I think we've all made decisions based upon some of these things in our own lives.

Poor advice, perhaps.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:

:lol: well more money than at Port I would assume
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:

:lol: well more money than at Port I would assume

Wouldn't have been much different, certainly not set yourself up different.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Naivety.
Expectation.

Poor advice, perhaps.

That was another I was going to add.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:44 pm

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:The players back in those days would have come into contact with each other very rarely - on the field and the occasional state practice session. They wouldn't have known each other like they do today via things such as 'training academies' and draft camps that the good players get involved with from very early these days. Also, the fact that families have more than one car these days and can travel more plus the use of modern communications (such as social networking) means that players would now be very attuned to each other, their personalities and developing friendships outside of their clubs.

If you went to school in Glenelg area, you played for Glenelg, thus from Samboy Cup days you would be playing against the Port boys who grew up in the Port, or the North boys who grew up around North, there was no such thing as two lads who grew up in the same street and went to school together ending up at different clubs, it just didn't happen.

On top of that the Bay boys would have spent their Saturday nights at Lennys, Norwood at the Norwood hotel (I think it was) etc

Like others have said it was much more tribal back then especially when you had your own sacred dung heap
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Or maybe he wasn't accepted by what was a very Glenelg dominant squad, coach hierarchy etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum