Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:At what age group should kids HAVE to train regardless of weather conditions?

Just want a feel of other thoughts.

under 14s i think if little jimmy can be out to 2am running a muck then he can train
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:At what age group should kids HAVE to train regardless of weather conditions?

under 14s i think if little jimmy can be out to 2am running a muck then he can train

Yeah, I'd be 12's for moderate, 14's for heavy rain.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:

What ever their conditions they play in.....if the play when it's pissing down they train.

That old cliche LOL. So little Johnny who's 8 years old should train when it's pissing down so he can catch a cold and have mum or dad take time off work to sit home with him because he can't go to school?

You're not alone with that thought process though.

Will this under still be playing on the weekend if it is pouring with rain?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:

What ever their conditions they play in.....if the play when it's pissing down they train.

That old cliche LOL. So little Johnny who's 8 years old should train when it's pissing down so he can catch a cold and have mum or dad take time off work to sit home with him because he can't go to school?

Does little Johnny play in the pissing rain on a Sunday? He might miss school on Monday too....if they don't play in similar conditions then why train in said conditions.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 pm

We called off u15's tonight, severe weather warning forecast including the possibility of lightening, boys have been training since early Feb twice a week and our Saturday boys have no game this week due to country champs. No harm in having one night off in July, earlier in the year or in August leading up to finals I'd lean the other way.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:16 am

Brodlach wrote:Will this under still be playing on the weekend if it is pouring with rain?

More relevance getting sick from playing a game IMO. Usually a fair bit chillier in the evening too.

Would rather a training missed from falling sick from a match than vice versa.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:17 am

Dutchy wrote:We called off u15's tonight, severe weather warning forecast including the possibility of lightening, boys have been training since early Feb twice a week and our Saturday boys have no game this week due to country champs. No harm in having one night off in July, earlier in the year or in August leading up to finals I'd lean the other way.

Yeah, that would be my take on it, kids are generally fit as it is. Would rather take the pressure and decision off of the parents.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby S Demon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 am

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Does little Johnny play in the pissing rain on a Sunday? He might miss school on Monday too....if they don't play in similar conditions then why train in said conditions.

8 year olds get little out of playing in the pissing rain other than cold, wet, numb fingers, blue lips and in a lot of cases, upset and distraught. U8 games get called off if the weather is horrendous and so they should.

As for training, there is zero benefit in training in those conditions at any age level IMO. Yes you might have to play in it on a sunday, but then it just becomes a slogfest of good old wet weather footy and you deal with it on the day. Training in it is pointless, unless you do 20+ sessions in those conditions, then maybe you might get better at wet weather footy. Maybe.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 am

One reason why training never got called off when many of us old farts were kids was the inability to send email, text or facebook messages etc. I have coached senior and junior footy and very little gained by training in pouring rain or a quagmire out on the ground. Skilful players adapt to conditions on game day regardless of how often they train in it. But for the sake of routine and discipline, it doesn't mean training has to be called off completely. Coaches can use that time to get the squad in the rooms to go over some things on the whiteboard or with the case of Brighton Oval get the lads to bring their runners and do some grandstand stair runs etc. But at this time of year when the rain usually comes, for U12 to U18 age groups, dropping back to one night per week if you normally train twice isn't a bad thing either. These kids have another thing called school and homework etc. that also has to take some priority.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:44 am

Yeah fair call with communication etc, we cancelled a 6pm training at 4.30pm for 70+ kids, only 1 turned up.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am

Down the Hill wrote:One reason why training never got called off when many of us old farts were kids was the inability to send email, text or facebook messages etc. I have coached senior and junior footy and very little gained by training in pouring rain or a quagmire out on the ground. Skilful players adapt to conditions on game day regardless of how often they train in it. But for the sake of routine and discipline, it doesn't mean training has to be called off completely. Coaches can use that time to get the squad in the rooms to go over some things on the whiteboard or with the case of Brighton Oval get the lads to bring their runners and do some grandstand stair runs etc. But at this time of year when the rain usually comes, for U12 to U18 age groups, dropping back to one night per week if you normally train twice isn't a bad thing either. These kids have another thing called school and homework etc. that also has to take some priority.

That was what I used to do, I got sick of having 16 there on the Wednesday night and then a few of them wouldn't attend Friday night's session knowing that 6 or 7 weren't there Wednesday, I just had a more indepth training session on the Friday session for an hour and a half, generally finish the last 10 minutes with something fun like baseball or poison ball like games only using handballing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 am

Dutchy wrote:Yeah fair call with communication etc, we cancelled a 6pm training at 4.30pm for 70+ kids, only 1 turned up.

Poor lad not on Facebook? ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Yeah fair call with communication etc, we cancelled a 6pm training at 4.30pm for 70+ kids, only 1 turned up.

Poor lad not on Facebook? ;)

he is and so are his parents! I probably should have gone to the oval to check myself, lucky our JFD did, although I reckon they would have worked it our pretty quickly.,
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
he is and so are his parents! I probably should have gone to the oval to check myself, lucky our JFD did, although I reckon they would have worked it our pretty quickly.,

Yeah, one person going there is fine IMO, more of a "to be sure" thing, incase any kids rode their bike there or got dropped off.

3 o'clock was my cut off, I'd message the missus to see what the weather was like up our way, look outside and check the radar and then make my decision from there, it kept the parents happy and they could re-arrange their evening plans accordingly.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Someone here might know, any online link to the draw for the u15's SANFL carnival over the school holidays?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:45 am

Hearing from other clubs that SANFL juniors are having a shocking season for on field discipline in the higher age brackets? Record number of red/yellow cards?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

Dutchy wrote:Hearing from other clubs that SANFL juniors are having a shocking season for on field discipline in the higher age brackets? Record number of red/yellow cards?

Under 16's were shocking a couple of years ago when I was umpiring in the NEMJFA, even from clubs you'd least expect it from too, just a couple of bad apples in most teams and they were generally the better players too, a bit of testosterone pumping through them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League