The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm

So reduce the salary cap to make it even harder for traditional clubs to maintain competitiveness against two teams who have just had their AFL salary caps increased. What the f*** are they thinking?
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Booney wrote:I'm all for the SANFL flourishing once more, but I don't think the recruiting drive to ex-AFL is a sustainable one. Not for many of the clubs who struggle financially, not just now, but perennially.

I agree to a point, to thrive in the SANFL (or any other State League) you need a squad with a core group that are "nearly good enough" to play AFL, that
could be players that have been drafted and never made it or players that were nearly good enough to be drafted.
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Absolutely, always needs to be a league that is top of the tree, the best players outside the AFL should be in the SANFL, that is not the case currently.

Rubbish

With the greatest respect I would argue the best players are in the SANFL because they have shown through their mental application and physical prowess that they are better than any of the players in the other leagues.

Being the best player means you are not only skillful but have the physical capacities and desire to play at that level.

Thinking of those that I know who may have the ability to play SANFL league footy but have made the choice not to by retiring from their respective SANFL clubs, they have shown that they lack the psychological fortitude/desire to be an SANFL footballer or they are not fit enough to with stand the physical requirements of SANFL football.

That is no knock on them as they have had a crack and tried to be successful at that level but the realities are if they were good enough, fit enough and mentally strong enough to with stand the commitment they'd still be there.

Seeing community football close up this year this opinion of mine has only been strengthened.

It's also why I believe the current CBA for Australian Football should include the three major state leagues (SANFL/VFL and WAFL) and the salary caps for all the non-aligned clubs should be set at 10% of the AFL salary cap and funded by the AFL in the same way they fund the salary cap of the AFL clubs.

State League footballers should be remunerated better but it isn't going to happen.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1843 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Well I'd disagree with that.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11992 times
Been liked: 3662 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Part of that is true, but there needs to be greater incentive for Div 1 Ammo's and top country players to play SANFL, my point is there are plenty that have the skill and ability to play the level, there is not a lack on talent out there to have a robust strong top quality 2nd tier comp that is not reliant on 2 AFL teams. Keeping them at SANFL level is the key.

Conversely there are plenty of SANFL league players that come back to grassroots footy and struggle, that convinces me the gap is not that great.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3630 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 pm

I reckon you are fairly correct.
Have seem good number of ammos div 1 games this year and the top teams are full of highly skilled players.
I reckon these teams would be highly competitive against the top SANFL reserves teams.
IMHO there are plenty of mature ready made league players for the picking by some clever league scouts, believe me.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:44 am

Page 75 of today's fish wrap.....Crows deny costing study into VFL move.

Just like they have denied everything else in this shit sandwich :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 am

heater31 wrote:Page 75 of today's fish wrap.....Crows deny costing study into VFL move.

Course they've costed it, that's why they're happy with the current arrangement - it's cheaper than playing 20 games in Victoria because there's no way the Vicitorian based VFL clubs want to pay for travel over here - not even for one game a year.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Dutchy wrote:Part of that is true, but there needs to be greater incentive for Div 1 Ammo's and top country players to play SANFL, my point is there are plenty that have the skill and ability to play the level, there is not a lack on talent out there to have a robust strong top quality 2nd tier comp that is not reliant on 2 AFL teams. Keeping them at SANFL level is the key.

Conversely there are plenty of SANFL league players that come back to grassroots footy and struggle, that convinces me the gap is not that great.

Incentive = $$'s. From where?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10857 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 am

heater31 wrote:Page 75 of today's fish wrap.....Crows deny costing study into VFL move.

Please, give me 20 minutes and an empty xls. sheet and I can do the costings estimate. Why would they "deny" using a calculator/xls?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

read the article? if not, please do.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2650 times
Been liked: 1879 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 am

MW wrote:read the article? if not, please do.

Behind a paywall?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 am

ADELAIDE denies it is investigating moving its reserves team into the VFL and says its 15-year commitment to the SANFL is unchanged.

Industry sources have told The Advertiser the Crows are keen to establish a home base to play their reserves games in Adelaide and have done a feasibility study into how playing in the VFL would stack up financially against the $400,000-a-year licence fee to stay in the SANFL.

The Advertiser put the questions to the club which responded with a statement reaffirming its long-term commitment it made to the SANFL competition in 2013.

The club did not deny the option had been discussed but is adamant it has not done a costing report into the possible venture.

“We entered into a long-term agreement with the SANFL four years ago and our position has not changed,” Crows chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

“Our involvement in the state league has brought many benefits both on and off the field.

“We see ourselves having an important role in growing the game in this state and continue to work closely with the SANFL to foster talent pathways for young boys and girls, as well as multicultural programs which reflect the diversity of our population.”

SANFL general manager Adam Kelly said he had not met with the club in relation to any proposed move.

“The SANFL enters into agreements with every intention to honour them.

“The SANFL competition is particularly strong and the evenness provides for great competition for all participating teams week-in and week- out. The SANFL has not been approached by Adelaide and we have a good working relationship regarding the competition.”

When Adelaide and Port Adelaide entered AFL teams in the SANFL from 2014 they did so under different agreements.

Adelaide pays an annual fee of $400,000 - of which $50,000 goes to the eight SANFL clubs - and while Port Adelaide does not, it had to forfeit the equivalent in SANFL funding it was receiving to foster junior development and to grow the game.

Port Adelaide plays home games at Alberton but the Crows agreed to play all their games away, however last year hosted Sturt in one game at Thebarton Oval which drew a crowd of 3123 people.

Other grounds that may be considered for a base include Norwood and Noarlunga which hosted a Crows’ pre-season games. The major tenant at Thebarton Oval is the Adelaide Footy League and its chief executive John Kernahan said he was not aware of any plans by the Crows to bring more games there.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:22 am

That couldn't have been Fagan in that interview, there was hardly any "mate this" or "mate that" in there. Impostor!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 am

Wednesday

Animal day in Play School

Sh!t article day in The Advertiser....

Lennies 364 may be reached quicker than I thought though, now....
am Bays
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am

I said 2 months ago the Crows were looking seriously at this.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:08 am

Dutchy wrote:I said 2 months ago the Crows were looking seriously at this.

And TBH why wouldn't they. Why persist in a league where the majority (except for the bean counters) clearly don't want you there.
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am

“Our involvement in the state league has brought many benefits both on and off the field.

Notice how Fagan goes into no detail on these "benefits"...or maybe he is referring to his wife getting a gig on Ch7 SANFL coverage???
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:10 am

“The SANFL competition is particularly strong and the evenness provides for great competition for all participating teams week-in and week- out. ”

Yep, Westies just had their first win for 364 days, pretty even comp there :lol: :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 am

MW wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I said 2 months ago the Crows were looking seriously at this.

And TBH why wouldn't they. Why persist in a league where the majority (except for the bean counters) clearly don't want you there.

Hey I'm all for it...go
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL