Glenelg/West merger?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg/West merger?

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm too young to know but why didn't South Adelaide ever play games at St Mary's?

I know they trained there but was there ever a chance to play their home games at the ground also?

I've often wondered if for a lot of supporters Noarlunga is just seen as too far away and too much hassle to go to.

Something I have found interesting is that our membership the last couple of years has basically doubled yet our crowd sizes are smaller.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Panther Pack wrote:I'm too young to know but why didn't South Adelaide ever play games at St Mary's?

I know they trained there but was there ever a chance to play their home games at the ground also?

I've often wondered if for a lot of supporters Noarlunga is just seen as too far away and too much hassle to go to.

Something I have found interesting is that our membership the last couple of years has basically doubled yet our crowd sizes are smaller.

Residents were the biggest problem IIRC. Panther Park would've been ideal, big oval, plenty of room for seating/amenities, change rooms already in place. You also had the club rooms right up the street.
I reckon things would've been a hell of a lot better for South if they could've played there.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5495 times
Been liked: 5137 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Spargo wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:I'm too young to know but why didn't South Adelaide ever play games at St Mary's?

Residents were the biggest problem IIRC. Panther Park would've been ideal, big oval, plenty of room for seating/amenities, change rooms already in place. You also had the club rooms right up the street.
I reckon things would've been a hell of a lot better for South if they could've played there.

Were the club rooms located where the Southern Bar & Bistro is on South Road?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Postby Spargo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Yep.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5495 times
Been liked: 5137 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Went there once to watch a South v Torrens trial in 1987, it wasn't even close to league standard then.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Mark_Beswick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 pm

I played an u19s game there. Ground was rock hard and from memory 24yrs ago... it sloped heavily to the northern end. Maybe i am mistaken about the slope but no way near league standard as a venue.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Been there plenty of times and I don't remember a slope. The amenities would never have been good enough for SANFL
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby darley16 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 am

Wrong about the slope but right about being a hard surface, the club had not built infrastructure at the ground as they were waiting on the SANFL and Council for the ratification to have league footy played there which of course the locals didn't permit. Therefore the only thing the club had built at that stage was a change room, scoreboard and time clock. Plans were in place for terracing and grandstand once approval was granted, should this have happened the South Adelaide story would have a much different one to the one we have today and i dare say much more successful.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby MW » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 am

I played at that ground for a couple of years for Kenilworth. Fittest I've ever been running around on that paddock! No slope at all, not sure what gives you that idea. It is ridiculously big though.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby JK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:46 am

MW wrote:I played at that ground for a couple of years for Kenilworth. Fittest I've ever been running around on that paddock! No slope at all, not sure what gives you that idea. It is ridiculously big though.

Yep, one of the worst grounds to play on when hungover is my lasting memory.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm

JK wrote:
MW wrote:I played at that ground for a couple of years for Kenilworth. Fittest I've ever been running around on that paddock! No slope at all, not sure what gives you that idea. It is ridiculously big though.

Intrigued to find out the best ground to play on hungover?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
JK wrote:

Vaughton Oval, Pulteney......so small I swear the 50m arc is only 45.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MW » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
JK wrote:

Probably Morphettville Park for the opposite reason as Panther Park!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:02 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
JK wrote:

Not Kilburn when you're playing U17's. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm

MW wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:
JK wrote:

Probably Morphettville Park for the opposite reason as Panther Park!

Depends what wing you're playing!! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Intrigued to find out the best ground to play on hungover?

Unley Jets ovals about the size of my backyard.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:38 pm

darley16 wrote:Wrong about the slope but right about being a hard surface, the club had not built infrastructure at the ground as they were waiting on the SANFL and Council for the ratification to have league footy played there which of course the locals didn't permit. Therefore the only thing the club had built at that stage was a change room, scoreboard and time clock. Plans were in place for terracing and grandstand once approval was granted, should this have happened the South Adelaide story would have a much different one to the one we have today and i dare say much more successful.

Darley do you think it was a mistake by the club to move to Noarlunga?

As previously mentioned I often wonder if our ground location contributes to our smaller crowds.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Panther Pack wrote:
darley16 wrote:Wrong about the slope but right about being a hard surface, the club had not built infrastructure at the ground as they were waiting on the SANFL and Council for the ratification to have league footy played there which of course the locals didn't permit. Therefore the only thing the club had built at that stage was a change room, scoreboard and time clock. Plans were in place for terracing and grandstand once approval was granted, should this have happened the South Adelaide story would have a much different one to the one we have today and i dare say much more successful.

Darley do you think it was a mistake by the club to move to Noarlunga?

As previously mentioned I often wonder if our ground location contributes to our smaller crowds.

It would have to contribute to the low patronage to the licenced venue.....it's nowhere near anything!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby darley16 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Panther Pack given we couldn't get our own home ground at St Marys which was next to our club rooms on South Rd and given all other clubs had been profitable over decades with their own home grounds for gate takings, food and beverage sales etc South struggled financially to keep up as the SACA took all catering for our home games at Adelaide Oval and the SANFL/SACA took half the gate, how we survived is due to a very loyal albeit small supporter base. In the late 1980's the inevitable happened, we were broke. Again due to a very loyal supporter base and blokes like John Reid as coach we survived, the move to Noarlunga for better or worse was at the time a necessity and after nearly 100 years we finally had a home ground to call our own. So endeth the lesson.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Move to Noarlunga was the right one, the positioning of the oval was the mistake IMO
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3530 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL