The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 29, 2017 10:46 am

morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Yes I do feel for the dumpee and their supporters, very sad when a franchise kills off a proud club like the original PAFC, may they RIP.
Let's hope no other clubs with heart go the same way.
No need to feel sorry for us, we've moved on. It's like being with your plane Jane high school girlfriend for your formative years. At the time you were grateful for the attention and had some good times, but we've gone to college now and lets just say a Swedish lingerie model on a international student Visa with an open mind for trying new things has decided to hit us up. I'm sure you understand.

Or in your case, your 2nd cousin ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby JK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 am

morell wrote: but we've gone to college now and lets just say a Swedish lingerie model on a international student Visa with an open mind for trying new things has decided to hit us up.

How long did Joachim stay?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am

morell wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
morell wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
IMG_1386.JPG

Your meme is bad and you should feel bad

Is that your bedroom wall morrell? You've done a good job there, getting all the pennants in a straight line.
Did you make those yourself or can you buy them on the shops ?
My bad I thought it was easier to read the 37 dates on that image. Here is a real one:

and I did have a life size picture of you on the wall but it tore down the gyprock from its foundations.

I like it :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am

morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Yes I do feel for the dumpee and their supporters, very sad when a franchise kills off a proud club like the original PAFC, may they RIP.
No need to feel sorry for us, we've moved on. It's like being with your plane Jane high school girlfriend for your formative years. At the time you were grateful for the attention and had some good times, but we've gone to college now and lets just say a Swedish lingerie model on a international student Visa with an open mind for trying new things has decided to hit us up. I'm sure you understand.

Then you drop your pants & she just points & laughs...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Mon May 29, 2017 10:56 am

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote:

Then you drop your pants & she just points & laughs...

Then you realise she's just using you to support her Swedish cousins to make sure they're being looked after....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2017 12:22 pm

What are we talking about again?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby morell » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Booney wrote:What are we talking about again?
Just let them let it all out, it's healthy for them in this difficult time.

If its any consolation ya'll can fool around with our Reserves as a rebound fling to help you get over it? Would that help?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm

morell wrote:

If its any consolation ya'll can fool around with our Reserves as a rebound fling to help you get over it? Would that help?

I'm glad you think it's funny that the SANFL is almost dead, but hey at least you still have the Power to support and follow week to week and I'm guessing that is all that matters to you?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2017 4:30 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:

I'm glad you think it's funny that the SANFL is almost dead, but hey at least you still have the Power to support and follow week to week and I'm guessing that is all that matters to you?

He's made that clear, not sure why you're guessing anymore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
morell wrote:

I don't think it's funny - more... inevitable. Unless a significant, strategic and practical restructure is undertaken. Also keep in mind I don't associate the death of the SANFL with the death of the clubs. So whilst it is true that I have no time, sympathy or reverence for the administrative wing of the SANFL - nor their cronies, nor their anti-Port militia in the media - I do however have all of that and more for you know, the actual clubs and the people (including the supporters) therein.

Having said that the delusions, hypocrisy, bias and grim grip on yesteryear by sad and bitter old men in this thread...? That I do find funny in a macabre kind of way.

Little bit like this:

morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 29, 2017 5:09 pm

morell wrote:I don't think it's funny - more... inevitable. Unless a significant, strategic and practical restructure is undertaken.

And this is where most of us started this journey 4 years ago by saying NO to AFL teams in SANFL, the SANFL needed to stand alone and be a strong 2nd tier comp that did not rely on the AFL. It had a point of difference from AFL footy.

It would have required hard work by the SANFL administrators and club boards, but sadly they took the easy option and look where we are today. A league that is dying.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm

morell wrote:I don't think it's funny - more... inevitable. Unless a significant, strategic and practical restructure is undertaken. Also keep in mind I don't associate the death of the SANFL with the death of the clubs. So whilst it is true that I have no time, sympathy or reverence for the administrative wing of the SANFL - nor their cronies, nor their anti-Port militia in the media - I do however have all of that and more for you know, the actual clubs and the people (including the supporters) therein.

All perfectly fair and reasonable.

morell wrote:Having said that the delusions, hypocrisy, bias and grim grip on yesteryear by sad and bitter old men in this thread...? That I do find funny in a macabre kind of way.

The thought by most AFL supporters in this state with little to no interest in the SANFL, that the SANFL fans are all stuck in the competitions glory days is miles off the mark. We all understand we play 2nd fiddle (with daylight in between) to big brother, and that's fine, we just want our own competition to be fair and equitable, and thriving at a lower level, and dont see it as an unreasonable wish. We're happy to be the breeding ground for players talented enough to progress to AFL, although we don't want the competition to be exclusively for that purpose. We're happy to have those that fell out of the AFL because they generally help with the standard at our level. But the competition to the genuine SANFL fans requires a level playing field to be meaningful to supporters, many of whom have had multiple generations of their family involved with their club.

We don't expect our games on primetime TV, we don't expect multiple pages in the Advertiser, we don't expect the radio stations to discuss the competition for hours on end. We realise our place in the pecking order.

The problems we're faced with today aren't entirely due to the AFL clubs existence in the competition either - The biggest issue imho was/is the financial health of the clubs.

So whilst we love to reminisce about the glory years, we'd be more than happy if the comp resembled what it did 5 or 10 years ago (with or without local AFL listed players).

I don't believe there's a simple fix, just putting it out there that what we want, isn't what a lot of people make it out to be,
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 29, 2017 9:32 pm

JK wrote:
morell wrote:I don't think it's funny - more... inevitable. Unless a significant, strategic and practical restructure is undertaken. Also keep in mind I don't associate the death of the SANFL with the death of the clubs. So whilst it is true that I have no time, sympathy or reverence for the administrative wing of the SANFL - nor their cronies, nor their anti-Port militia in the media - I do however have all of that and more for you know, the actual clubs and the people (including the supporters) therein.

morell wrote:Having said that the delusions, hypocrisy, bias and grim grip on yesteryear by sad and bitter old men in this thread...? That I do find funny in a macabre kind of way.

The thought by most AFL supporters in this state with little to no interest in the SANFL, that the SANFL fans are all stuck in the competitions glory days is miles off the mark. We all understand we play 2nd fiddle (with daylight in between) to big brother, and that's fine, we just want our own competition to be fair and equitable, and thriving at a lower level, and dont see it as an unreasonable wish. We're happy to be the breeding ground for players talented enough to progress to AFL, although we don't want the competition to be exclusively for that purpose. We're happy to have those that fell out of the AFL because they generally help with the standard at our level. But the competition to the genuine SANFL fans requires a level playing field to be meaningful to supporters, many of whom have had multiple generations of their family involved with their club.

We don't expect our games on primetime TV, we don't expect multiple pages in the Advertiser, we don't expect the radio stations to discuss the competition for hours on end. We realise our place in the pecking order.

The problems we're faced with today aren't entirely due to the AFL clubs existence in the competition either - The biggest issue imho was/is the financial health of the clubs.

So whilst we love to reminisce about the glory years, we'd be more than happy if the comp resembled what it did 5 or 10 years ago (with or without local AFL listed players).

I don't believe there's a simple fix, just putting it out there that what we want, isn't what a lot of people make it out to be,

Pretty well put considering you are deluded, hypocritical, bitter old man. ;)

Did you get my pm?
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Well said JK.
I feel like I (and others) have said the same in different words a hundred times over.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 am

JK wrote:The thought by most AFL supporters in this state with little to no interest in the SANFL, that the SANFL fans are all stuck in the competitions glory days is miles off the mark. We all understand we play 2nd fiddle (with daylight in between) to big brother, and that's fine, we just want our own competition to be fair and equitable, and thriving at a lower level, and dont see it as an unreasonable wish. We're happy to be the breeding ground for players talented enough to progress to AFL, although we don't want the competition to be exclusively for that purpose. We're happy to have those that fell out of the AFL because they generally help with the standard at our level. But the competition to the genuine SANFL fans requires a level playing field to be meaningful to supporters, many of whom have had multiple generations of their family involved with their club.

If the second comment is true, which I believe it is, then the first can't occur, IMHO. To truly thrive the competition does need greater exposure in print, the airwaves and the mouse clicks, it no longer receives that ( yes, yes, I know why ).

Forget the competition thriving once more, I don't think the football market has the dollars to support the AFL with it's greater exposure and a thriving SANFL. The best the SANFL can hope for is a return to a level playing field, without the AFL reserves sides, but without the advent of a national AFL reserves competition ( which I think most of us agree isn't likely in the short term, especially with the AFLW taking off and taking up AFL $$'s ) then what it is at the moment, is what it is and where it sits in the market place will remain the same. Out of the limelight, not thriving.

*Edit* When I say "football market place" I refer to the corporate dollar.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 30, 2017 9:11 am

Its taken 338 pages and some hard truths (and some questionable logic) from Morell but finally we have a post that sums it all up perfectly, without the bitterness and spite and blame laying and finger pointing.. Well said JK
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby o five » Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

JK wrote:

Couldn`t have said it better myself JK. Spot on. =D>
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

I think a national reserves comp will be the next step to totally ruin the SANFL, they'll dangle a carrot to SANFL teams to join with a vague promise of promotion and relegation, I'd also think that that each AFL franchise would have a development squad and they'd take junior development away from state league clubs and impose a TAC Cup comp in each state.
I've said it for years now but the best possible option for the SANFL is that both reserves teams don't qualify for finals due to breaking the salary cap by default. They get a hit out and can manipulate their reserves teams as they want by playing each other in trial games during the finals series.
Both AFL clubs to have the same model and pay the same fee to have a run in the comp.

That Norwood get a $20k salary cap fine while competing against teams cheating the salary cap 13x each game is ridiculous, if were them I'd tell the SANFL to get f***ed.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:I've said it for years now but the best possible option for the SANFL is that both reserves teams don't qualify for finals due to breaking the salary cap by default. They get a hit out and can manipulate their reserves teams as they want by playing each other in trial games during the finals series.
Both AFL clubs to have the same model and pay the same fee to have a run in the comp.

The trouble with this, of course, is that some teams would meet the salary cheats when they are at their strongest, hence, in theory, cheating the cap more. Take Sturt's first game this season as an example. Lost to a full strength Crows side, then other sides played them when they were much weaker.
I think their results should just not count, we would then have a ladder like Pseudo's Pure Ladder. Reserves results would not count.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:The thought by most AFL supporters in this state with little to no interest in the SANFL, that the SANFL fans are all stuck in the competitions glory days is miles off the mark. We all understand we play 2nd fiddle (with daylight in between) to big brother, and that's fine, we just want our own competition to be fair and equitable, and thriving at a lower level, and dont see it as an unreasonable wish. We're happy to be the breeding ground for players talented enough to progress to AFL, although we don't want the competition to be exclusively for that purpose. We're happy to have those that fell out of the AFL because they generally help with the standard at our level. But the competition to the genuine SANFL fans requires a level playing field to be meaningful to supporters, many of whom have had multiple generations of their family involved with their club.

If the second comment is true, which I believe it is, then the first can't occur, IMHO. To truly thrive the competition does need greater exposure in print, the airwaves and the mouse clicks, it no longer receives that ( yes, yes, I know why ).

Forget the competition thriving once more, I don't think the football market has the dollars to support the AFL with it's greater exposure and a thriving SANFL. The best the SANFL can hope for is a return to a level playing field, without the AFL reserves sides, but without the advent of a national AFL reserves competition ( which I think most of us agree isn't likely in the short term, especially with the AFLW taking off and taking up AFL $$'s ) then what it is at the moment, is what it is and where it sits in the market place will remain the same. Out of the limelight, not thriving.

*Edit* When I say "football market place" I refer to the corporate dollar.

Its called a niche market. SANFL has been it since 1991 practically.

And since 1991 the league was growing in this market.

Until....
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL