Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Angle Park buffet

8/10 food was very good for a buffet. Much better than Buckingham Arms.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11842 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Angle Park buffet

Whats the chaser's buffet worth these days?

The McQueens Bistro was always solid fare from memory
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm

I got 2 for 1.
But generally $30.
Make sure you get there at 6 though to get full value.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I got 2 for 1.
But generally $30.

We go there once a year as a footy club and heading to the Buckingham this weekend for a 40th.

It will be interesting to make the comparisons.

I think they both have their strength and weaknesses.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

MatteeG wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Angle Park buffet

Whats the chaser's buffet worth these days?

The McQueens Bistro was always solid fare from memory

Cheers.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I got 2 for 1.
But generally $30.

From the Ent. book?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm

As an owner

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:As an owner

Well excuse me sir! ;)

Would be keen to take the missus but she wouldn't eat $30 worth.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2017 9:02 am

Jacobs Creek Retreat : ( Not connected to the winery )

I'll start by saying DO NOT spend the money they ask to stay there. Just don't.

Greeted by a lady in trackies, crocs and socks we get shown where our room is, no mention of "We'll get your bags" or the like, she walks us through the very nice gardens to show us around, this takes all of about 10 minutes. She guides us to the "Pavillion", where breakfast is served the next morning "between 9 and 10"... :shock: ....then takes us to our "suite".

"Seville", one of the rooms of the main house with adjacent bathroom with sunken two person spa. Odd, the house is classic Australiana bush, the bedroom Victorian inspired and the bathroom fake green marble with a lions head as the bath tap. Clash of culture indeed.

The room was a little musty. smelt a little damp, loads of millipedes in the room and bathroom and next to the bath is a piece of glass, perhaps 10mm at the thick end wedge, obviously someone had dropped a glass in there and the cleaners didn't get it.

The fridge made a terrible grinding sound so that got switched off at about 10pm, the toilet ran non-stop despite my best efforts to re-seat the O-ring, so periodically that would refill the cistern, there are no gutters on the house so the rainfall just lamped down off the roof and made a fair bit of noise outside the room and the very, very bright sensor light near the front gate came on and off all night as the wind blew the trees into it's line of sight. The split system is located directly above the bed head so every time it charged into action the creaking and cracking would have you looking up to see if it was coming down or not. The bed was on wheels and had no issues with moving around the room. The pillows flat but somehow lumpy and clearly very old. No robes in the room as advertised.

There's nowhere to eat on the premises ( other than breakfast ) and you're about 5-7 minute drive out of Tanunda. So after a few beers over lunch ( Restaurant review thread ) and a couple of reds to finish there was no way I was driving in and Mrs Boon had had more than a couple of wines so neither was she. It was BBQ shapes for dinner and in bed early. ( Not a bad thing ).

Breakfast was pretty good, bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms, toast, fresh fruit, cereal, coffee/tea, however the hot food was kept in a small bain marie and it looked like the cook had only done enough for the 10 guests in the property over night, kind of felt like you were on rations as you dished yours up as you could hear her cleaning up in the kitchen, she wasn't going to be replenishing the hot food. Glad we were the second couple in there.

I won't be back. I won't be recommending it. I will be adding an ordinary review to Tripadvisor. At nearly $400 per night it's impossible to be impressed.

2/10 as the gardens and serenity made up for the other let downs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 am

Artisans of Barossa - Corner of Light Pass and Magnolia Roads, Tanunda

About 5 minutes out of Tanunda "Artisans" is a collection of six local wineries who have joined together to display their wares in the one location.

The restaurant is classic Barossa timber and earthy feel inside, nice timber deck outside over looking a nice patch of grass, perfect for the kids to run around on, and looks out over the valley from it's slightly elevated position back towards Tanunda. Perfect on Saturday with the sun in the face and the wind at the back.

From what we saw, bookings are pretty much essential on weekends, we scored the last 2 seat table outside at about 1:30. The place was packed.

Serving seasonal dishes that looked smallish share plate type, there is about 20 odd on the menu, we went the "Feed me like a Barossan", $59 a head for a 9 course "degustation" style meal where the kitchen decides what you are going to get, which I must say, was top notch nosh.

Fresh sour dough with salted butter to start, some twice cooked pork ribs, egg plant two ways, roasted potato in a tomato relish, fried chicken and slaw, salted caramel ice cream Sunday, orange and poppy seed cake ( flanne? SP ).

Mrs Boon knocked over a bottle of Schulz Barossa Grenache ( I had a glass and a bit ), I had 3 Barossa Valley Brewing Co. Hop Thiefs.

Only draw back was the wait from last "main" to dessert, we had to enquire if we had more to come as it had been about 40 minutes from the chicken and slaw came out to when we checked in.

$200 for a long lunch, bottle of wine and a few beers. Not cheap, but food was very, very nice, really good venue and plenty of options as far as dining and drinking. One of those spots that you're happy to pay for to enjoy good quality fare in a really nice location and support local artisans.

7/10 and I'd recommend going there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 am

I was in Tanunda over the weekend...did you check out that Brewery near the caravan park? (just as you come into town on the left). They had a "I can't believe it's not Bacon" Beer, and I never thought I would find something that Bacon did not go with...now I have. It was awful. A few of their other brews were quite good though.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2604 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 am

MW wrote:I was in Tanunda over the weekend...did you check out that Brewery near the caravan park? (just as you come into town on the left). They had a "I can't believe it's not Bacon" Beer, and I never thought I would find something that Bacon did not go with...now I have. It was awful. A few of their other brews were quite good though.

You there for the marathon?

I've tried the "I can't believe it's not bacon" before, agreed, not good. They had it on the menu where we ate but I chose something else.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 am

Carmel's at maclaren vale. Really good
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby MW » Mon May 29, 2017 10:18 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:I was in Tanunda over the weekend...did you check out that Brewery near the caravan park? (just as you come into town on the left). They had a "I can't believe it's not Bacon" Beer, and I never thought I would find something that Bacon did not go with...now I have. It was awful. A few of their other brews were quite good though.

You there for the marathon?

I've tried the "I can't believe it's not bacon" before, agreed, not good. They had it on the menu where we ate but I chose something else.

Yep. Did the half though.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2604 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby Spargo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Carmel's at maclaren vale. Really good

Excellent run down, wubbsy - look forward to trying it out when I'm down there...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5479 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 am

Coupla years since I went there, but completely agree. Great selection on the menu and all meals were exceptional.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:40 am

Spargo wrote:

Excellent run down, wubbsy - look forward to trying it out when I'm down there...

Cheers Spargo, apologies it was a bit long...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby JK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 am

Coupla recent dining experiences.

Shiki at the Intercontinetal .. Hadn't been there before but had a voucher that was due to expire so myself, Mrs JK and another couple headed along.

Food was phenomenal, atmosphere great. We all took the 2nd banquet on the list, girls shared a coupla bottles of wine, Paley's for me, Asahi for my mate. Bill came to around $700 so def not cheap, but with voucher and a coupla Ent Books think it cost us about $60 all up.

Recommend if you're cashed up and want a great dining experience.

9.0/10

Sportivo at West Lakes .. Bit of a regular go to place for our family. Went Friday night for the missus birthday, 5 adults and 3 kids. Food was beautiful as it always is, meals a bit smaller than they used to be, but still plenty enough that most couldn't finish. Only downside (ultra minor and prompted some good laughs) - As it was the missus' 38th birthday I'd been to the Cheesecake shop earlier to procure a cake and two candles, a 3 and an 8. Sure enough when they brought the cake out they'd arranged the candles to read 83, despite me telling them 2 minutes earlier she'd turned 38. The words "you had ONE job" might have been uttered.

7.5/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 29, 2017 10:45 am

What's the best ticket in the Ent. Book to utilise? The missus has 4 books at her work that she can take whatever she wants from, I wanna try wrapping it up in one text of email.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:What's the best ticket in the Ent. Book to utilise? The missus has 4 books at her work that she can take whatever she wants from, I wanna try wrapping it up in one text of email.

I don't know what best value is mate, but I always recommend the Brompton Hotel
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion