AFL Round 5

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 5

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:48 am

Crows have never bottomed out and now have a chance at a flag with no top 10 draft pick on their list.

It can be done.

Collingwood have tried to bring in established talent and failed.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Time for Eddie to go too? Surely he has nailed his colours to the mast with the whole Buckley transition plan

Nah wouldn't think so

He wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't have a succession plan in place and Buckley was as well creditionaled as any going around.

On top of that all clubs go through a rough patch after success it's the way the AFL is designed, Buckley will get sacked but wouldn't 90% of coaches end their time at a club by being saxked

Can't think of another succession plan out there like what happened at Collingwood. They clearly didn't have the balls to sack Malthouse when they should have. Or were scared bucks would walk into another job. Either way it was managed terribly.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am

bennymacca wrote:Crows have never bottomed out and now have a chance at a flag with no top 10 draft pick on their list.

It can be done.

Haven't been to the top like the others though.

I don't think anyone rated the "talent" they brought in though. White, Dunn, Mundy, Wells, Greenwood, Howe....bar Treloar and to an extent Howe, they haven't really added much to the list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11101 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 am

Would like to be in Melbournes review of the game this morning.

I wonder who talks to Viney about his last quarter? While his side gives up 5 unanswered goals he's running around telling Richmond players that they're wankers who don't know how to grab the ball. Maybe go get it yourself young man, maybe lead from the front.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 am

bennymacca wrote:Crows have never bottomed out and now have a chance at a flag with no top 10 draft pick on their list.

It can be done.

But the Crows have also been seen to be one of those clubs happy to finish around the middle of the park and never seriously contend but at the same time not finish bottom. They have massively underachieved IMO but look the goods this year. Anything less than a spot in the GF would be seen as a failure I'd think with the squad they have
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

But the Crows have also been seen to be one of those clubs happy to finish around the middle of the park and never seriously contend but at the same time not finish bottom. They have massively underachieved IMO but look the goods this year. Anything less than a spot in the GF would be seen as a failure I'd think with the squad they have

I would tend to agree with your last part of tat Jim about there expections for this season. At the moment they must be eyeing of a GF birth - yes I know one week at a time but they look good at the moment.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

Would you have said the same thing prior to round 1?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2694 times
Been liked: 1907 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

Lost 3 prelims in the last decade or so and should have done at least that last year. Agree we have massively underachieved.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

MW wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

Probably not but it's not unreasonable to change your expectations as the season goes on I'd think. Listening to a few of the Crows players and officials on media the last couple of weeks and I think they have definitely reassessed where they are at and believe they can give it a good crack
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

I agree. at 5-0 they should.
All I heard pre season was without Gibbs, we were screwed in the midfield.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2694 times
Been liked: 1907 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:38 pm

MW wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

Absolutely, if you take into account the form of 2016 when they should have finished 3rd ( bar that WCE game ) with the best attack in the game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 pm

The Crows & Giants are easily daylight ahead of everyone else ATM.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5706 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Spargo wrote:The Crows & Giants are easily daylight ahead of everyone else.

Adelaide and GWS.
>
>
>
>
Geelong.
>
>
>
>
Bulldogs
>
>
>
>
The rest.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I simply don't rate Geelong. If Melbourne kicked straight they'd have beaten them, we had them on toast and a lot of things "went their way" at crucial times against the Saints on Sunday also.
At the end of the day they got the points and are still undefeated, but at this stage (and I'm more than happy for them to prove me wrong) I can't have them as a contender.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5706 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Spargo wrote:I simply don't rate Geelong. If Melbourne kicked straight they'd have beaten them, we had them on toast and a lot of things "went their way" at crucial times against the Saints on Sunday also.
At the end of the day they got the points and are still undefeated, but at this stage (and I'm more than happy for them to prove me wrong) I can't have them as a contender.

I don't think they're a contender, but right at the moment they're behind only GWS and Adelaide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

It can be done.

Lost 3 prelims in the last decade or so and should have done at least that last year. Agree we have massively underachieved.

I agree, it's been a golden era.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1299 times
Been liked: 3558 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Agreed with all of the sentiments above. It is early still though.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Booney wrote:

It can be done.

Haven't been to the top like the others though.

I don't think anyone rated the "talent" they brought in though. White, Dunn, Mundy, Wells, Greenwood, Howe....bar Treloar and to an extent Howe, they haven't really added much to the list.

Exactly, the Crows are no different to North, Richmond and to a lesser extent Essendon(only bottomed out last year because of suspensions), never bottomed out, never won anything.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

It can be done.

Yeah but would you rather never bottom out but be on a 20 year premiership drought or have bottomed out twice in 10 years but have a premiership to show for it.

Look at the teams who have had dynasties and you have:

Hawthorn (had bottomed out in the early 2000's and once again look very much to be back with pack)
Sydney (hard to asses due to COLA advantages)
Geelong (had to a bit of luck with father/son picks initially to build their dynasty but have genuinely bucked the trend of bottoming out with great trading)

If the Western Bulldogs have a dynasty it will be on the back of bottoming out as well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5647 times
Been liked: 2582 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

14th in a 17 team comp was pretty close to the bottom!
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL