Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Happycamper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 pm

That is 100% true..... I'm unsure of the players that didn't receive any money but I know for a fact that there was money handed out to certain individuals. I know that one of the players who received money played every game of A grade this year at the club was told that if he left he would have to pay twice the amount to be cleared....

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like an interesting situation developing there. Looks like the club only had 3 players that played A grade all year, excluding T20.
One has already left, one has previously been mentioned here, and the other I believe was an interstate recruit. From what I have heard 2 would be missed.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Happycamper wrote:I heard on the weekend that at the Northern's presentation night a senior club person was handing out envelopes with cash to SOME players, not match payments.
I am told those that got it wondered why, and those that didn't are annoyed - what this space.

That is 100% true..... I'm unsure of the players that didn't receive any money but I know for a fact that there was money handed out to certain individuals. I know that one of the players who received money played every game of A grade this year at the club was told that if he left he would have to pay twice the amount to be cleared....

This part is 100% not true. There is no transfer fee for clearances and clubs cannot stop players 18 years of age and older from leaving, providing that they've paid their subs.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Port Pirie Power » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Happycamper wrote:That is 100% true..... I'm unsure of the players that didn't receive any money but I know for a fact that there was money handed out to certain individuals. I know that one of the players who received money played every game of A grade this year at the club was told that if he left he would have to pay twice the amount to be cleared....

Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like an interesting situation developing there. Looks like the club only had 3 players that played A grade all year, excluding T20.
One has already left, one has previously been mentioned here, and the other I believe was an interstate recruit. From what I have heard 2 would be missed.

Have you heard anything mate? Marks is a big loss however his season was poor in comparison to what he usually churns out. It's interesting, but until they get a coach they will struggle to retain these players that are being spoken about. They definitely need to get a coach signed and sorted - should be first thing on their priority list.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby backoftheroom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Heard from a couple difference sources now that Phil Neate laughed ND and their money out of the room. Figure was $5k-10k.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby backoftheroom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

heater31 wrote:Rumour has it Jacob Dick won't be at Sturt.

Josh Pengelley not getting opportunity? Picked in a grade that best suited his development to start the season, spent part of it injured, national carnivals and eventually performed and went up....

The running joke at Sturt is that Dick will be at Glandore next year, has been for a number of months now. His issue was with Juddy, if I understand it correctly. Almost went to Glenelg the season before last as well because of it.

23 overs in 5 First grade games isn't opportunity. Bowl in the nets as much as you want, you won't get better if you don't bowl in games. He could have bowed 20 overs an innings in the B's and would have got more out of it.
backoftheroom

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

backoftheroom wrote:

Josh Pengelley not getting opportunity? Picked in a grade that best suited his development to start the season, spent part of it injured, national carnivals and eventually performed and went up....

The running joke at Sturt is that Dick will be at Glandore next year, has been for a number of months now. His issue was with Juddy, if I understand it correctly. Almost went to Glenelg the season before last as well because of it.

23 overs in 5 First grade games isn't opportunity. Bowl in the nets as much as you want, you won't get better if you don't bowl in games. He could have bowed 20 overs an innings in the B's and would have got more out of it.

Would have thought bowling 5 to 10 overs per innings in First Grade as a 17 year old is more than enough. The kid has already played more than enough games as a bat only due to injury so over working is probably not the best option.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Happycamper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Heard from a couple difference sources now that Phil Neate laughed ND and their money out of the room. Figure was $5k-10k.

Would be a very handy addition. Perhaps if they didn't hand out random envelopes there would be enough for a competitive offer to be made! :D

Maybe they also need to review an arrangement to potentially free up some cash.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Postby backoftheroom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm

heater31 wrote:
backoftheroom wrote:

Would have thought bowling 5 to 10 overs per innings in First Grade as a 17 year old is more than enough. The kid has already played more than enough games as a bat only due to injury so over working is probably not the best option.

Firstly, he's bowling more like 3-7 overs; its 23 in 5 games. Second, refer to what I said before, you learn more from bowling in games. He was basically playing as a batsman who bowls part time mediums, but batting in the bottom 3. Just a shame to see so much potential held back for a season, Fatchen and Co at Kensi have been handled perfectly and that should be the model. Pick them to play not just to give them a game.
backoftheroom

Postby Port Pirie Power » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

This forum is fantastic - I have some close mates at the jets who have heard no names of players that Sean Watt is approaching on behalf of NDCC. He is lying to current players to try and secure new players. An incredibly unhealthy cycle!!! I think Sean Watt is under the gun at NDCC and maybe to sort their on field problems they need to wipe off their committee and almost restart. They are on the brink of being Elizabeth like after they joined with Salisbury, an absolute basket case. This money that was handed around is a disgrace and I'm sure there are people that received the money that are undeserving of it and then others who deserved a hell of a lot more!
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby The Hound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Anybody know the financial situation out at the Jets? are they aren't they, hearing they have a large piggy bank for recruiting players/coaches. Hence the offers to multiple Buffs players
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:This forum is fantastic - I have some close mates at the jets who have heard no names of players that Sean Watt is approaching on behalf of NDCC. He is lying to current players to try and secure new players. An incredibly unhealthy cycle!!! I think Sean Watt is under the gun at NDCC and maybe to sort their on field problems they need to wipe off their committee and almost restart. They are on the brink of being Elizabeth like after they joined with Salisbury, an absolute basket case. This money that was handed around is a disgrace and I'm sure there are people that received the money that are undeserving of it and then others who deserved a hell of a lot more!

Why would your mates be aware of the player(s) their cricket director is approaching?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Happycamper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

The Hound wrote:Anybody know the financial situation out at the Jets? are they aren't they, hearing they have a large piggy bank for recruiting players/coaches. Hence the offers to multiple Buffs players

I would not have thought they would have much to offer around. Perhaps they are trying to create that impression.
Don't they also need to find a new indoor training venue which I imagine will have costs associated, and didn't they used to get income from their previous facility?
Happycamper
Mini-League

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

I heard that the Jets ran into some financial difficulties but have had some key supporters (eg Barossa winery moguls) come on board and now are quite well off. Money available for players/coaches. Heard a whisper that Matt Weaver from TTG may be in their sights but unsure if that is true.

Their indoor centre is no more but it's really only used for two months of the year. Not sure it was much of an income source. There's an indoor centre at Trinity College I imagine the Northern clubs will tap into now.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lineandlength » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Not sure the person delegated the responsibility for recruiting needs to disclose who he is talking with. At the end of the day those in charge of recruiting should be judged on their performance and outcomes. Recruiting at ND has probably not been great/successful. Recruit key players (a gun batter and a gun fast bowler) that have the ability to put back into the club and develop your own at the same time. Paying for anyone else, outside of coaches, is a poor use of funds IMO.
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Aeropti » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Agreed. 10 - 12 years ago Northern were probably in the top 3 - 4 in terms of junior development.

Obviously there are other factors at play but that aspect going down hill has been a major one imo.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Port Pirie Power » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I heard that the Jets ran into some financial difficulties but have had some key supporters (eg Barossa winery moguls) come on board and now are quite well off. Money available for players/coaches. Heard a whisper that Matt Weaver from TTG may be in their sights but unsure if that is true.

Their indoor centre is no more but it's really only used for two months of the year. Not sure it was much of an income source. There's an indoor centre at Trinity College I imagine the Northern clubs will tap into now.

I'm unsure who these Barossa Winery moguls you speak of are? The jets have a player who personally and family wise run a $100million dollar business who are no longer sponsors anymore and haven't been sponsors for a few years now. I haven't heard of any other winery's nor have many others been involved in recent times.

I'd assume they would use Trinity's indoor centre, or possibly Mega Courts at Windsor Gardens who have a far superior set up.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Happycamper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I caught up with a mate who is a involved at Northerns as a player and he thinks the situation is not as bad as what is being talked about.
He is confident there will be a coach appointed soon who will fill a key batting spot and be a good fit.
The club has been playing catch up since a previous senior coach caused many experienced and talented players to leave several years ago. There is apparently some good talent in their 16/17/18 year olds, who are potential 10 year A grade players at the club, if the club can keep them and create an environment where they can develop.
The feeling is the Senior Cricket Director has too much influence and has not made great decisions in the past with some of the appointments, and that some recruits did not fit the culture or demonstrate a desire to work hard.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Happycamper wrote:I caught up with a mate who is a involved at Northerns as a player and he thinks the situation is not as bad as what is being talked about.
He is confident there will be a coach appointed soon who will fill a key batting spot and be a good fit.
The club has been playing catch up since a previous senior coach caused many experienced and talented players to leave several years ago. There is apparently some good talent in their 16/17/18 year olds, who are potential 10 year A grade players at the club, if the club can keep them and create an environment where they can develop.
The feeling is the Senior Cricket Director has too much influence and has not made great decisions in the past with some of the appointments, and that some recruits did not fit the culture or demonstrate a desire to work hard.

The thing to take out of this Northern Districts saga is no body has any clue WTF is going on.....Just like the West Torrens, Port Adelaide and even Adelaide of recent years.....

In other news I'm hearing Adelaide University are hiring out their new West Beach ovals to rival clubs to hold outdoor pre season sessions......
heater31

Postby backoftheroom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Team #5 Adelaide University

Finished 9th, 5th, 1st & 2nd. Juniors N/A.

Need
The same thing they do every year, top end PLAYING talent. Nick Winter was a good get, but he's more than likely headed interstate now given he lead the Futures League wicket tally and isn't a lock to get another Redbacks gig. Losing Cooper probably didn't have much impact and Joe Mennie bowled only a handful of overs for the Blacks all season. Wes Agar had the mother of all blow ups the morning before the penultimate game of the season and left the state. Ben Wakim was a good pick up last season but won't offset the loss of Andy Delmont, he also has caused a bit of disharmony with they way he has captained the side from a few reports. Some people have also said that James Hilditch may also sit next season out, he was the Blacks last season so that would probably drop them 2 spots on the ladder straight away.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
As a club that can only provide opportunity to young guys or interstate recruits you'd imagine they pick up another 18-21 year old from a club somewhere in Adelaide. I've already mentioned a number of guys in relation to other clubs, they are all guys I would consider if I was Uni. There's now talk that Jacob Dickman may be heading away from Prospect as well; so Uni may fit him for opportunity plus the Cam Borgas factor helps. From a player role standpoint I see Uni needing a good front line quick (like most sides in the bottom half of the table) and a big run scorer. the loss of Delmont will hurt them off field as well so the quality of people they bring in will play as important a role as the runs or wickets they bring.

Key Next Season
Recruiting. The no juniors factor plays a massive part in the way their club is structured. Lots of B/C/D Grade quality players at the club, which is reflected by their performances in lower grades. Fortunately for Uni this is fixed with a couple good performers in the A's. If they can bring in another one or two Grant Stewart/Ben Wakim types then they are on their way, but without additions I see them finishing in the same area of the table next season.

I'd be interested to know who you all would go after if you were University's recruiter. Would you chase a young guy in his teens like the have over the past couple years or an early 20's rising star? If you could name one player and perhaps a realistic reason why they would move and why you would pick them up.

Personally, I'd go after Alex Reardon. Some may disagree, and yes I understand he shelled a heap of catches last season, but Uni can realistically offer him a spot in the top 5 and give him the gloves and improve their side in the process. I think his potential with the bat is underrated and he seems like a pretty good kid. Will be one of those extremely annoying players to come up against in 5 years time.
backoftheroom

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:07 pm

No doubt University will just put clearances in for any player with First Grade potential without telling anyone knowing what is happening.....

Although I doubt this would happen to young Reardo, his old man will be telling anyone thinking about it to fork off.
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps