Rumour re Media Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Providing the streaming service at a discount to SANFL members doesn't do anything for the growth of the league, they had a great opportunity here to open it up for free and get new markets viewing the games. Now it gives an excuse for the core SANFL fans to miss going to the game and watch it on their phone at home, which will only hurt the clubs.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
cennals05 wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Anyone heard which games channel 7 will be showing for the opening rounds?

Round 1 Central v Eagles
Round 2 Eagles v West
Round 3 Central v Adelaide
Round 4 Adelaide v Port
Round 5 Port v Sturt and Sturt v West (split round)

South, Glenelg, Norwood & North all miss in first games? :shock:

Yep, looks like the Big Four clubs all miss out.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Correct.
Lots of tired followers will stay away.
No new blood will attend.
Attendances and game atmosphere will continue to fall.
Radio remains a league survival priority.
Simple.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogs72 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Providing the streaming service at a discount to SANFL members doesn't do anything for the growth of the league, they had a great opportunity here to open it up for free and get new markets viewing the games. Now it gives an excuse for the core SANFL fans to miss going to the game and watch it on their phone at home, which will only hurt the clubs.

So they should have provided it free to open it up to get new markets viewing the games, yet because it's provided at a discount to sanfl members core fans will now have an excuse to not going to games?? So they should have provided it free to new markets but not core sanfl fans?
At least now if a member doesn't go to a game the club still derives income from a subscription.
Previously there was no real value in a telecast game, if it meant people stayed home.. it would actually hurt Match day revenue. Having games telecast on seven has done nothing to add any revenue to an sanfl club.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Doddy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:44 pm

I can see the benefits of being able to watch every game my club plays, and since I always go to games then the benefit for me is not the live stream but the replays. But I have seen the single-camera broadcasts before - you could buy them by the game and they had radio commentary added if callers were in attendance that day - but the visual quality was awful. We aren't being provided with much at all by the SANFL - it's just the same single cameras that have been at all games anyway for tribunal reasons etc., and they've created a new market to onsell it. If they made an effort to enhance it to make it a saleable product then that would be nice, but I don't expect it.

Personally, my game-day experience is reduced. I like to listen to the radio broadcast at the game, usually just the first half, to brush up on the oppositions players, so I know who is who. Being able to identify the opposition players helps a lot in recognising who is having a good game for them, otherwise it can seem like just a bunch of blokes in the other guernsey, and I feel like I'm watching half the game. Exactly like you get when the ex-Crows clowns commentate their games, the other team isn't mentioned.

I tried it on digital radio, or maybe it was the radio app on my phone, but the delay makes it impossible when you are at the game. OK for driving or gardening to be 5-10 seconds behind, but not when you are there. I guess that is what the audio stream will be like.

Could be OK on balance, getting all the replays, but I'll miss the match day support. Cost seems reasonable for members, but I worry about the quality. Sad that the SANFL broke something that was working for so many though, but that's Johnny for you.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 am

Dutchy wrote:
cennals05 wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Anyone heard which games channel 7 will be showing for the opening rounds?

Round 1 Central v Eagles
Round 2 Eagles v West
Round 4 Adelaide v Port

South, Glenelg, Norwood & North all miss in first games? :shock:

I hope we miss all year, that way can use the live video stream! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:41 am

cennals05 wrote:

Round 1 Central v Eagles
Round 2 Eagles v West
Round 4 Adelaide v Port

Adelaide & Port both shown twice in first five rounds and South not shown at all.

What a Joke. It is so biased it isn't even funny!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 am

Panther Pack wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

Round 1 Central v Eagles
Round 2 Eagles v West
Round 4 Adelaide v Port

Adelaide & Port both shown twice in first five rounds and South not shown at all.

What a Joke. It is so biased it isn't even funny!!!

Looks like the Panthers need to try harder so they can be part of the Big 2.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby RustyCage » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 pm

I contacted Port about this....

RustyCage: Is there a reason why the club isn't being involved with the SANFL digital pass? Other clubs supporters can watch each game online but Magpie supporters have to miss out? Fair kick in the teeth for supporters who can't get to every game

PAFC: Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the message.

The SANFL digital pass is not available for Port or Crows.

The best way to see our games is to come to Alberton and we will also continue to offer live tweeting and highlights packages this year.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Lauren
Member Services

RustyCage: According to the SANFL, the digital pass was offered to both Port and the Crows who declined to be involved.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Dogs72 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Providing the streaming service at a discount to SANFL members doesn't do anything for the growth of the league, they had a great opportunity here to open it up for free and get new markets viewing the games. Now it gives an excuse for the core SANFL fans to miss going to the game and watch it on their phone at home, which will only hurt the clubs.

So they should have provided it free to open it up to get new markets viewing the games, yet because it's provided at a discount to sanfl members core fans will now have an excuse to not going to games?? So they should have provided it free to new markets but not core sanfl fans?
At least now if a member doesn't go to a game the club still derives income from a subscription.
Previously there was no real value in a telecast game, if it meant people stayed home.. it would actually hurt Match day revenue. Having games telecast on seven has done nothing to add any revenue to an sanfl club.

Lets be honest, since the AFL teams inception the comp is dying, this move simply assists the diehards who are left post AFL invasion anyway.

Providing the streaming free would have meant the SANFL would have had to run the service at a loss, however all businesses need to do this if they want to grow (its called investment). SANFL have obviously given up on attracting younger/newer fans and are simply trying to get more $ out of the existing fan base.

Streaming free would have been a risk, but one with huge upside if they got it right.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:40 pm

RustyCage wrote:I contacted Port about this....

RustyCage: Is there a reason why the club isn't being involved with the SANFL digital pass? Other clubs supporters can watch each game online but Magpie supporters have to miss out? Fair kick in the teeth for supporters who can't get to every game

Thanks for the message.

The best way to see our games is to come to Alberton and we will also continue to offer live tweeting and highlights packages this year.

Kind Regards,

Lauren
Member Services

RustyCage: According to the SANFL, the digital pass was offered to both Port and the Crows who declined to be involved.

Yep and what about people who can no longer attend games due to ill health or mobility?
Or people who live in the country or even out of the country.

The Power don't give a sh*t about the real Magpie supporter.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

RustyCage wrote:I contacted Port about this....

Thanks for the message.

The best way to see our games is to consult the 2017 SANFL fixture and go to the same ground where it says that the "Port Magpies" are playing, especially if that ground is very close to where you live, and we will also continue to offer live tweeting and highlights packages this year.

Kind Regards,

Lauren
Member Services

Edited for accuracy.

Sadly, as a Port Magpies diehard, you're in the minority at Alberton and the decision above reflects that.
Magellan
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:17 pm

When I first heard of this I was going to purchase it for the old man who loves watching the magpies games when they are on TV.
He can no longer get to the games but follows them with interest.

Why wouldn't the magpies participate in this?
Do they not realise they have an ageing supporter base with some not being able to get to each game who would love to watch on-line?

Ignorant and arrogant pricks this club has become.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:

Lets be honest, since the AFL teams inception the comp is dying, this move simply assists the diehards who are left post AFL invasion anyway.

Providing the streaming free would have meant the SANFL would have had to run the service at a loss, however all businesses need to do this if they want to grow (its called investment). SANFL have obviously given up on attracting younger/newer fans and are simply trying to get more $ out of the existing fan base.

Streaming free would have been a risk, but one with huge upside if they got it right.

Couldn't agree more Dutchy, how will this attract any new people to the comp?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm

It'll help membership numbers, it's the sole reason I've re-joined at North.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grenville » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Wedgie wrote:It'll help membership numbers, it's the sole reason I've re-joined at North.

I hope you're right Wedgie, I just can't see it happening though.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 am

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Am I right that a season pass only gives you 18 games? So if I spend $75 I can only see my nominated teams games? $90 gives me all AFL games.

Pretty ridiculous that you can only watch the games of your club and not all sanfl games

Typical AFLite response.

Get yourself off to the No SANFL in the AFL thread.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 am

cennals05 wrote:

Round 1 Central v Eagles
Round 2 Eagles v West
Round 4 Adelaide v Port

So Port twice and Adelaide twice in the the 1st five rounds. No wonder they aren't interested. Thank f#%k for the digital pass.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 am

From a personal point of view it's a great idea.
As an SANFL fan you get to watch every game your team plays which can only go to strengthening the tie between supporter and club.
Ok, so it won't be as "professional" as the AFL pass but who gives a shit. I have no interest AFL, they could broadcast in 3D holograms and I still wouldn't give a rats.
The replays will be great to catch up with the games you missed or even the games you did go to watch. It will bring revenue into the clubs, which can only be a good thing and it will encourage memberships. And maybe the presentation will improve once it proves to be a success.

It's a shame about the Radio coverage as that would have been a big plus.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

A good idea but should be free to promote a sinking competition.
I also hear an A3 ammos club will be streaming with commentary and FREE,
a great promotion for the club and their competition.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL