32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 am

Seems to be a bit of a hot topic at the moment...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 am

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 am

I don't feel strongly either way but perhaps it may calm down some of the emotion about the past we cannot re-write if one of these dates were chosen:
"The Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act (UK) was passed on 5 July 1900 and given Royal Assent by Queen Victoria on 9 July 1900. It was proclaimed on 1 January 1901 in Centennial Park, Sydney."

Of course we may need to create an extra public holiday so we have one for Australia Day and one for Invasion Day, and we can't chose January 1 or we'd lose a public holiday... ;)
Last edited by Psyber on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 am

Call it what you want, move it to where you want, but January 26th will always be Australia Day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Seems to be a bit of a hot topic at the moment...

Change the date.. everyone wants to be able to celebrate all things great about this country, so why not on a date that is going to make all comfortable - especially Australia's first people..

The old "Dont change it, it's always been on this date" is stupid - Australian Day has only really been celebrated as a national holiday for 25yrs! Hardly "always".

I reckon if you asked 10 people what Australia Day was about, why they celebrate it etc, 9x would give you an answer along the lines of "Celebrate this great country" ... without giving reference to the first fleet, "discovery" of Australia or its history... therefore to me it says the date isn't actually important to most people but rather the reason to celebrate.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

Booney wrote:Call it what you want, move it to where you want, but January 26th will always be Australia Day.

It would only take a few years to change peoples thoughts - Jan 26th would be always known as the arrival of the first fleet, but don't think it would be viewed as Australia Day.

Like other public holidays that the date varies i.e. Queens Birthday, the celebration for Australia Day would fall on the date chosen, and that's all the people would see and recognize.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 am

Zartan wrote:The old "Dont change it, it's always been on this date" is stupid - Australian Day has only really been celebrated as a national holiday for 25yrs! Hardly "always".

That's just simply not true.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:17 am

Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:The old "Dont change it, it's always been on this date" is stupid - Australian Day has only really been celebrated as a national holiday for 25yrs! Hardly "always".

http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history/
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am

Question: If there was NO public holiday for Australia Day, would that have any effect on people's feelings towards changing/keeping the date?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:24 am

Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:

http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history/

As a national holiday, I'll grant that, but the day has been celebrated nationally for decades, the alignment of public holidays is academic and not at the heart of the discussion and really is more about compensation for working on a public holiday, pay rates etc which is more about unions and working conditions than the nations day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:25 am

My preference would be to move it to ANZAC day, which is often sighted as the "birth" of our nation and the first time we came out from behind the shadows of Britain.

Aslo a date which invokes an amount of patriotism but is less divisive than the date of the arrival of the first fleet
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:31 am

Don't really care too much, because I'm not sure what in particular we ought to be 'celebrating', apart from a day off work. ;) I look at Australia as a place with a relatively short past that is characterised by its share of good and bad history. Also, I'm not really one for jingoism, patriotism and running around with flags, particularly one with another country's flag on it.

However, I do think the type of civil society we've developed deserves recognition, although I can't help but feel this is starting to fray at the ends and we're seeing this with the current trends in ours and other nation's politics.

That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:35 am

Magellan wrote:Don't really care too much, because I'm not sure what in particular we ought to be 'celebrating', apart from a day off work. ;) I look at Australia as a place with a relatively short past that is characterised by its share of good and bad history. Also, I'm not really one for jingoism, patriotism and running around with flags, particularly one with another country's flag on it.

However, I do think the type of civil society we've developed deserves recognition, although I can't help but feel this is starting to fray at the ends and we're seeing this with the current trends in ours and other nation's politics.

That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!

There in lies the conundrum with moving it. For mine Anzac Day should remain untouched, it is as close as most Australians get to a sacred day in the modern world, those who aren't religious anyway. Anzac Day would be about the last day that I would think appropriate to move it to.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:41 am

bennymacca wrote:My preference would be to move it to ANZAC day, which is often sighted as the "birth" of our nation and the first time we came out from behind the shadows of Britain.

Weren't we sent to off to fight at the request of the Poms, all part of Churchill's plan?

Anyhoo, I must beg to differ. ANZAC Day commemorates the sacrifice of those people who served across multiple conflicts. I don't see a focus on Gallipoli as any reason for national celebration, let alone acknowledging a coming of age. The ANZACs were sent to be slaughtered.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 am

No way we should be celebrating this on ANZAC day. The day is comparable to Memorial Day in the US.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 am

Leave as is, although of course there are other dates that could be used. But this one has been recognized for a long time.
Shouldn't be a day of triumphalism, but a day of thanks that we live in a country still incredibly well placed by world standards. Lucky to have a British heritage, but one that has been built on by various groups over many years. Understand though the issue of indigenous dispossession.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:03 am

Auatralia became a nation on January 1st 1901, celebrating on any other day doesnt make sense. January 26 is the most inappropriate day to celebrate it, an even worse day in our countrys history than when the Japs tried to invade us.
Having said that I'll have something to celebrate on January 26, my girlfriemd becomes an Australian in 2 days time. :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 am

Magellan wrote:That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!

The middle of August would be good, only because it would give us a much needed public holiday in the four-month stretch between the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Aerie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 am

I've always thought of ANZAC Day as the most important national day and the time we can look back and be thankful for what previous Australians did for us to enable us to live the way we do today.

Australia Day should be moved from January 26 to respect those indigenous groups who view it as the day of invasion. I would just move the public holiday to the first Monday in December. Have a long weekend to celebrate our nation and the arrival of summer!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 am

Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!

The middle of August would be good, only because it would give us a much needed public holiday in the four-month stretch between the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day.

I pick August 9 - for purely selfish reasons 8) :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion