Brad Gotch Departs Panthers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Brad Gotch Departs Panthers

Postby Big Phil » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Media Release from South Adelaide...

Brad Gotch to depart South Adelaide Football Club in 2017, Garry Hocking appointed as Senior Coach.

The South Adelaide Football Club wishes to inform its members and supporters that Senior Coach Brad Gotch will be departing the Club to take up a
coaching opportunity with Collingwood in 2017. Experienced coach Garry Hocking has been appointed as the Panthers new Senior Coach.

Gotch, who has been at the helm of the Panthers since the 2014 season, informed the Club last week that he would accept an offer to join Collingwood in 2017.

South Adelaide Football Club Chairman, Andrew Luckhurst-Smith praised Gotch for his positive contribution to the Panthers and declared the Club was not surprised that the AFL had coming calling for Gotch’s services.

“Brad Gotch has been a fantastic ambassador of the South Adelaide Football Club since his appointment as Senior Coach,” said Luckhurst-Smith.

“In his time with the Club, Brad has built a wonderful rapport with the playing group and supporters alike. His affable persona around the Club will be missed as much as his tactical nous in the coach’s box.

“While a Premiership remained elusive during Brad’s tenure as Senior Coach, we believe his work has set the Club up for a sustainable period of success in the future.

“It is sad to see someone of Brad’s character and ability depart our Club, but we are not surprised that someone of his talent had been called upon by the AFL.

“On behalf of everyone at South Adelaide, we wish Brad the very best in his future endeavors and trust he will be successful wherever he plies his trade.”

Gotch explained that being closer to his family in Victoria and the lure of returning to the AFL influenced his decision to leave South Adelaide, but also mentioned that he believes he is leaving a Club in a strong position to compete for years to come.

“The main instigator to go back [to Victoria] was my family, but also the opportunity to get back into the AFL system,” said Gotch.

“I was previously a coach with Collingwood for eight years and was a part of two Grand Final sides and won a Premiership with its VFL affiliate Williamstown during my time there.

“To go back to a Club I have a history and passion for ten years on as a more experienced coach was something I couldn’t pass up.

“My decision to leave was a tough one, but was made a little bit easier by the fact I believe South Adelaide is really well placed for the future. They know what has to be done to achieve the ultimate success.

“I will certainly miss the people. That will be the hardest thing. I’ve had a great affiliation with all the people at South and I couldn’t have loved my three years with the Club any more than I did.”

After joining South Adelaide prior to the 2014 season, Gotch coached the Panthers to 36 wins, 22 losses and a draw, including Finals campaigns in 2014 and 2016.

The Panthers moved swiftly to replace the departing Gotch, appointing highly credentialed Garry Hocking as their new Senior Coach for season 2017.
Hocking brings a wealth of coaching experience to South Adelaide, holding a coaching resume that includes roles with Western Jets, Peel Thunder, Geelong Falcons, Port Adelaide Power and Port Adelaide Magpies.

Hocking is also familiar with the SANFL competition, having coached Port Adelaide Magpies during their first two seasons as Port Adelaide’s AFL affiliated SANFL side, including the 2014 SANFL Grand Final.

Hocking’s playing career is also well documented. A 274-game player for Geelong, he is also a four-time Best & Fairest winner with the Cats, a member of the Australian Football Hall of Fame, Geelong Hall of Fame, Geelong Team of the Century and a four-time All-Australian.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Brad Gotch Departs Panthers

Postby darley16 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Really sad to see Brad leaving the club but the reason is totally understandable. Genuine pressure on Gary Hocking to continue the success that Gotchie bought to club and with the potential loss of Eddy and Irra to AFL and Crossy not yet committed to 2017 it could be even harder. However if Gary Hocking can really coach we will find out soon enough, personally i think he can and will prove a a great asset to SAFC and the SANFL.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Big loss for the Southies. Will be interesting to see how Whiskas fills the void.

I guess this is another example of the reality of our SANFL, any coach who is half decent and can post some good results is gone too soon, unless you're lucky enough to find a stay at home coach without AFL ambitions, like Roy Laird.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 pm

A lot can change in 6 weeks...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 76f28c7764

“I’m contracted at South for next season and I’m sitting at my desk right now looking at my player list,” Gotch said. “I’m also working on what areas we need to work on, and I’ve interviewed the local boys for recruiting purposes.

“I’m happy as Larry at South, there are no dramas there. No one has approached me in Melbourne to coach.”
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Pseudo wrote:A lot can change in 6 weeks...

“I’m contracted at South for next season and I’m sitting at my desk right now looking at my player list,” Gotch said. “I’m also working on what areas we need to work on, and I’ve interviewed the local boys for recruiting purposes.

I’m happy as Larry at South, there are no dramas there. No one has approached me in Melbourne to coach.”

I wonder which 'Larry' he was referring to? It seems Gotch may have morphed into this Larry, at least in the eyes of some Southies...

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Handby continuing his yo-yo career and heading from South to North again also
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Pseudo wrote:A lot can change in 6 weeks...

“I’m happy as Larry at South, there are no dramas there. No one has approached me in Melbourne to coach.”

I think that landscape changed when Gubby Allan got suspended by the AFL for his involvement in the Lachy Whitfield saga...

That was only last week, so obviously the goal posts shifted for Gotchy, with the Collingwood offer to good to refuse...

Will be sorely missed, was one of the nicest guys in the SANFL and was always so giving of his time for the media...

I sent him an SMS wishing him all the best and thanked him for his contribution to South and the competition...

He sent me back a really nice reply, which he didn't have to. Says a lot about the guys great character...

Good luck to Brad and also to Budda Hocking for their respective roles moving forward...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Development coach Michael Hanby has also left to return to the Roosters in the same role
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby saintal » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Disappointing obviously. Brad's impact on the club has been significant. Hoping the structure/foundation he's implemented holds the club in good stead for the years to come.

Very engaging communicator, be it during media interviews or club functions.

The only 'knock' I'd have on his tenor was our record v the interlopers was average in comparison to our record against fellow SANFL clubs. Rarely played our best footy against the AFL sides.

As for Buddha, there could be worse replacements, especially this late in the year. Willing to have an open mind and see how he goes. Has some runs on the board. At least we know he'll be keen to win those precious trial games ;)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Help Us Farewell Gotchy

Help us farewell departing Senior Coach Brad Gotch and wish him well in his new venture with Collingwood.

Join us in the Peter Darley Room at Hickinbotham Oval from 6:30pm this Friday to give Brad your best wishes as we thank him for his wonderful service to the Club over the past three years.

All are welcome to this free event.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Board index   Football  SANFL