The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:32 am

matt35 wrote:Thompson will play mostly SANFL next season. Of course he can step up to AFL if needed but the Crows have made it very clear that he will mostly be an SANFL player.

Does he get squeezed out when they have no one on the injury list?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby sib » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
matt35 wrote:Thompson will play mostly SANFL next season. Of course he can step up to AFL if needed but the Crows have made it very clear that he will mostly be an SANFL player.

NO as he is still an AFL listed player unlike Carey.

He should play mainly SANFl next year and captain it.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:11 pm

sib wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

NO as he is still an AFL listed player unlike Carey.

He should play mainly SANFl next year and captain it.

But if someone needs to miss out surely the best option is him? He ain't going to get better, but playing a kid on your rookie list will benefit him?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:53 pm

therisingblues wrote:I guess I'm just being suspicious. If this ends up being a method of squeezing another player in to the Ravens, instead of a top up, I'll have fair reason to be upset. Maybe I've jumped the gun, but I think it's fair to say they've got a history of getting a foot in the door based on one premise, then behaving against that premise, based purely on the fact that they now have a foot in the door.
I'd wager that this is not just a new title, but the precedent for squeezing better footballers into a side already teeming with dollars far beyond the SANFL cap.

Utilising a spot on the senior list to benefit the SANFL side? You honestly think that would be the sole reason behind giving Thommo a contract? To spite the SANFL and to strengthen the Crows reserves side?

I understand you don't like them in the comp, neither do I, but seriously some of the crap that gets thrown around here is ludicrous
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm

am Bays wrote:People's thoughts on Scott Thompson being on on-field "setter of playing standards" coach for the Crows state league team next year???

What exactly is an 'on-field "setter of playing standards" coach? Is this corporate jargon for 'captain'?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I guess I'm just being suspicious. If this ends up being a method of squeezing another player in to the Ravens, instead of a top up, I'll have fair reason to be upset. Maybe I've jumped the gun, but I think it's fair to say they've got a history of getting a foot in the door based on one premise, then behaving against that premise, based purely on the fact that they now have a foot in the door.
I'd wager that this is not just a new title, but the precedent for squeezing better footballers into a side already teeming with dollars far beyond the SANFL cap.

Utilising a spot on the senior list to benefit the SANFL side? You honestly think that would be the sole reason behind giving Thommo a contract? To spite the SANFL and to strengthen the Crows reserves side?

I understand you don't like them in the comp, neither do I, but seriously some of the crap that gets thrown around here is ludicrous

So how did you get the idea I was saying that would be the "sole reason"?
It'd be good if you could also point out where I questioned the grounds for him being awarded a contract.
I was suggesting the potential of using this new terminology as a precedent for a new position at the Ravens. I don't think "spite" would be a motivation, but an experienced head amongst the younger, aspiring footballers on their list would surely be part of their reasoning for keeping him on, wouldn't you say?
Of course he'd also play a bit of senior footy if required. I'm wondering how far I should list, lest you accuse me of stating these would be the only things he could do. Just for the record though, that's all irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.
I'm looking forward to reading why you think this idea is representative of any suggested "crap" which apparently gets "thrown around" by posters who'd prefer the reserves were not a part of our comp, because quite honestly, I just read your post and thought "How the hell did he just imagine all that crap that I hadn't said?"
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:27 am

Have a re read of the above post of your I quoted. You are talking about a senior contracted AFL player on the list. Not a top up, or a fabricated position to suit them, A player on the senior list.

'I'd wager that this is not just a new title, but the precedent for squeezing better footballers into a side already teeming with dollars far beyond the SANFL cap' - That is the kind of crap I was referring to. How the Crows utilise their senior list is entirely up to them. Had Thommo been signed as a 'senior SANFL player' outside the AFL cap and not on the senior list, then you may have grounds for complaint or feel hard done by
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby LPH » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:01 am

What a surprise that the Competition now exists only to benefit the AFL Clubs?
Compromise? Integrity?
Re-badge it AFL-SA & be done with it :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 am

I see Bohdan has resigned at North.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby therisingblues » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:17 am

human_torpedo wrote:Have a re read of the above post of your I quoted. You are talking about a senior contracted AFL player on the list. Not a top up, or a fabricated position to suit them, A player on the senior list.

'I'd wager that this is not just a new title, but the precedent for squeezing better footballers into a side already teeming with dollars far beyond the SANFL cap' - That is the kind of crap I was referring to. How the Crows utilise their senior list is entirely up to them. Had Thommo been signed as a 'senior SANFL player' outside the AFL cap and not on the senior list, then you may have grounds for complaint or feel hard done by

Not a fabricated position as yet. I highlighted the key words.
Just to underline the point, my concern is about the potential groundwork they are laying for the creation of a new position, it stinks of politicking to me. Why create that new title? This is what I am suspicious of. it is pretty difficult to claim entitlement to something if it doesn't yet have a name. But with the creation of an "On field setter of playing standards" (or whatever it was they called it), you now have an entity that the Crows might not willingly let go of at the end of the year. Would it not be reasonable that they have a senior player in the reserves group to mentor the younger players? The Magpies have one! Why can't the Ravens? It is unreasonable to expect the Crows to maintain a senior player on their list purely for the purposes of playing in the reserves.
The Crows have a history of dishonesty in their dealings with the SANFL, they have a set of rules that apply only to them, making it easier to push their agenda and have proven that they will seek adjustments when those rules don't suit them any longer. The Crows are a juggernaut compared to the SANFL, they need only get a foot in the door, next thing they dominate the room.
When the Crows first proposed the Ravens and people kicked up a stink, the pro-reserves argument went along the lines of: "Just see how it goes, you guys are all complaining about something that hasn't even happened!"
The same people are now saying: "It has happened now! It is too late, the reserves are obviously here forever! Stop moaning already, get out and enjoy the weather!".
The day that I accept that logic is the day I just give up thinking altogether.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:35 am

I will agree that the title is a strange one. But whether its purely a unique one for Thompson with his clear desire to head into coaching post playing career, who knows.

I thought the Crows did have something similar to that. The role that Ian Callinan played last year? Or was that scrapped by the SANFL?

The anti-AFL folk have plenty of valid reasons to complain, the use of players on senior lists like this specific role, isn't one of them
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby therisingblues » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:43 am

You might end up being right about that Torpedo. As I said, I might have jumped the gun on this, but past history makes me suspicious of the Ravens.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I see Bohdan has resigned at North.

:YMPARTY:
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 am

I heard Jarman reported on MMM that the clubs want to cap the Crows at 16 listed players, im not sure if it was just for finals or all season.
The crows have threatened to go to the VFL if it is passed.

Please please go and take the scum with you
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 am

daysofourlives wrote:I heard Jarman reported on MMM that the clubs want to cap the Crows at 16 listed players, im not sure if it was just for finals or all season.

Yep, seeya later carnts
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby therisingblues » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:59 am

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I heard Jarman reported on MMM that the clubs want to cap the Crows at 16 listed players, im not sure if it was just for finals or all season.

Yep, seeya later carnts

I'm glad this is back in the news. It first came up a few weeks ago and hasn't been heard of again until now.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 pm

If they're staying in, 16 is too many.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Mic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Magellan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I see Bohdan has resigned at North.

:YMPARTY:

The AFL reserves have just lost one of their biggest supporters.

Power as well I would assume.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Capping at 16 would be ok. The Crows could introduce an academy side into our reserves like PAM and get rid of the excess players there.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby RB » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Yep, seeya later carnts

Here's where we need some league directors with backbone. (Unlike the $ellout $ix from 2013).
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL