The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:55 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:
There is no way a player is going to not try in a Prelim Final. Ask any player if they had a chance to play in a GF would they have a crack. Saying the Crows players didn't try is crap. May aswell investigate them for bringing the game into disrepute. a few people careers could be ended if what you all say is true.

What I said is that I'm not sure how hard they tried. The reason I'm not sure is that a reserves side is, by definition, a support to the league side. If the league side is no longer playing... You join the dots, and if you don't at least arrive at a question then I'd say you just haven't thought about it.
BTW, why is the SANFL grand final the week before the AFL and not in its successful week after slot?

Im not having a go at you in particular I just find it hard to believe a player wouldn't try in a prelim final. Not many people have given sturt much credit considering they were in the top3 the whole year and have played some fantastic football.

Okay, cheers Hollywood. Play on.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:
cracka wrote:Just wondering, if reserves side don't give a sh!t when the league side gets knocked out, how come Norwood & North were playing in the SANFL reserves prelim when neither of their league sides even made the finals.

Both of them couldnt lose.
If the Prelim Final last week was the Ravens v Power I think you'd find one of them still won no matter how much they gave a shit.
The week before the Eagles beat Norwood, they obviously had a lot more to play for than Adelaide did before their A grade got knocked out in Sydney.
And maybe the clubs have a bit of club pride since they're playing in the same comps as their League sides.

huh?
REB did say my comprehension is crap. :shock:
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Mic » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 pm

cracka wrote:Just wondering, if reserves side don't give a sh!t when the league side gets knocked out, how come Norwood & North were playing in the SANFL reserves prelim when neither of their league sides even made the finals.

It's only the 2 AFL reserves sides that couldn't care less about the SANFL.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:58 pm

cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Both of them couldnt lose.
If the Prelim Final last week was the Ravens v Power I think you'd find one of them still won no matter how much they gave a shit.
The week before the Eagles beat Norwood, they obviously had a lot more to play for than Adelaide did before their A grade got knocked out in Sydney.
And maybe the clubs have a bit of club pride since they're playing in the same comps as their League sides.

huh?
REB did say my comprehension is crap. :shock:

Oh the joys of being admin eh Wedgie, can change a post after its been quoted :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby matt35 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:31 pm

I think the legitimate comparison here is what has happened in the WAFL. We have seen that in spite of Fremantle's horrid year and failure to make the finals, Peal, i.e Fremantle's reserves side, have stormed through the WAFL finals; nobody has come near them so far. There are certainly no accusations that they aren't trying, in fact all the talk is, correctly imho, of tightening their qualification rules for AFL listed players, which are far less tight than ours. So why do the Fremantle listed players try but the Crows listed players not try? Of course, it doesn't ad up. The Crows tried on Sunday. They had an unbalanced side, especially without the run provided by the three players missing from the previous finals. They were unable to match Sturt's run and spread. As the pace went out of the game, as they say talls don't get shorter as the game goes on and the Crows did make a run in the last quarter. But they lost on Sunday to a far better balanced team.

On another but related point, I can't agree that Seedsman dropping out was a good thing for the Crows. His run was badly missed on Sunday.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby therisingblues » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:48 pm

matt35 wrote:I think the legitimate comparison here is what has happened in the WAFL. We have seen that in spite of Fremantle's horrid year and failure to make the finals, Peal, i.e Fremantle's reserves side, have stormed through the WAFL finals; nobody has come near them so far. There are certainly no accusations that they aren't trying, in fact all the talk is, correctly imho, of tightening their qualification rules for AFL listed players, which are far less tight than ours. So why do the Fremantle listed players try but the Crows listed players not try? Of course, it doesn't ad up. The Crows tried on Sunday. They had an unbalanced side, especially without the run provided by the three players missing from the previous finals. They were unable to match Sturt's run and spread. As the pace went out of the game, as they say talls don't get shorter as the game goes on and the Crows did make a run in the last quarter. But they lost on Sunday to a far better balanced team.

On another but related point, I can't agree that Seedsman dropping out was a good thing for the Crows. His run was badly missed on Sunday.

I would need more information before saying for sure, but is there a possibility that Peel is so much stronger than the rest of the league with the 17 players in their side, that they don't even need to try?
The other thing is, with their AFL side out of the finals, is Peel stacked with whoever is eligible?
I would answer those questions before assuming that things don't add up.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LPH » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Just out of interest...

Are there any others out there not attending a Grand Final until the 2 interlopers are gone (if ever) ?
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 pm

LPH wrote:Just out of interest...

Are there any others out there not attending a Grand Final until the 2 interlopers are gone (if ever) ?

I'm not going tomorrow despite North's Ressies being there. Interest factor zero. Might watch it at the pub if there's nothing else on.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby twosheds » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes I wont
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby oldfella » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:30 am

I wont even though i had 2 free tickets ( given to mate who supports sturt)
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby whufc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 am

Not going!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:16 am

oldfella wrote:

Did you go last year. Just wondered if it's because it's not West or because of the Reserves.

Personally I wouldn't be too fussed about going unless it was North. It's been too long since our last win and I'm not getting any younger, so even though I don't agree with the Reserves playing in our league, I doubt I could miss a GF for it.
But I'm not a great neutral fan either. I like to watch the highlights and TV games when I can but going to watch your team is a passion thing for me and I don't have a desire to watch a game where I don't care enough about one team to get passionate.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Fricky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am

johntheclaret wrote:
oldfella wrote:

Did you go last year. Just wondered if it's because it's not West or because of the Reserves.

Personally I wouldn't be too fussed about going unless it was North. It's been too long since our last win and I'm not getting any younger, so even though I don't agree with the Reserves playing in our league, I doubt I could miss a GF for it.
But I'm not a great neutral fan either. I like to watch the highlights and TV games when I can but going to watch your team is a passion thing for me and I don't have a desire to watch a game where I don't care enough about one team to get passionate.

I've been to a few GFs as a neutral, mainly due to coming down from Whyalla with the U/18 footy trips. Wasnt a bad experience as a lad but I've only been to one GF as a neutral supporter in my older days, West v Centrals, only because i was given free tickets and took some mates from interstate to watch it.

What will the Crowd be, near 30K?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby oldfella » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:18 am

johntheclaret wrote:
oldfella wrote:

Fair question mate -- I did go last year but only because i take my 80 year old mate to games when he is well enough to go ( not as regular as i would like) last year he felt good enough to attend so i took him -- most league games when we go we leave by half time as his strength fails.

If my mate had not wanted to attend last grand final then i would not have been there.

For record i am a life member of west adelaides however since the crows and power came in as individual teams i found that my interest in the competition has dimished greatly
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby another grub » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Not going. Not watching it.

After last weeks farce the sanfl can f##k right off
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 404 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Peel ten scoring shots to one vs subi at qrtr time
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Peel ten scoring shots to one vs subi at qrtr time

The WAFL GF is on TV over here and Peel have dominated but havnt put Subiaco away.
A couple of Perth lads are here and are watching it and reckon there is a huge shitfight going on ATM with the clubs now threatening to pull out unless the AFL sides are capped at the very least.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby another grub » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:34 pm

What a joke the wafl is. Freo stacking Peel. At least the ravens did the right thing and didnt try in the preliminary final to avoid the criticism and subsequent uproar.
another grub
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:48 pm

The WAFL must be so proud that 15,000 supporters witnessed a side that finished 5 games behind the top side get up and win convincingly.
17 AFL listed players and 5 of them had played more AFL games than WAFL games this year, what a farce
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby another grub » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 pm

They should have rolled over like the ravens did.
another grub
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL